DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

WWII Gift Set...Worth It??

Old 06-06-04, 02:15 PM

WWII Gift Set...Worth It??

There is a WWII collection(not the SPR one) on DDD which has The Longest Day, Patton(2 Disc SE), Tora, Tora, Tora, and The Thin Red Line, all for 36.59, i wanted to know if this was a good deal and/or if anyone had it and it's worth it???
Old 06-06-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: WWII Gift Set...Worth It??

Originally posted by FloPoErich
There is a WWII collection(not the SPR one) on DDD which has The Longest Day, Patton(2 Disc SE), Tora, Tora, Tora, and The Thin Red Line, all for 36.59, i wanted to know if this was a good deal and/or if anyone had it and it's worth it???
Well, let's see. Four classic war movies(ok, 3 and a half), one of which is a 2 disc set, that is out of print, all for under $40. Yeah, I would say it is worth it.
Old 06-06-04, 05:23 PM

i was thinkin so, but i am new to dvd colecting and what not,and didnt want my excitement to burn me....
Old 06-06-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you like the movies (or at least the genre) then its a good set. Patton is a great film. I may have bought this set but i already owned patton and Tora Tora Tora.
Old 06-06-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Longest Day and Tora Tora Tora are great movies. Have Patton but haven't seen it yet. Tried The Thin Red Line twice and fell asleep both times.
Old 06-06-04, 07:28 PM

All of them are excellent films, and all are different on their own level. Its a great price for the set, especially since it is out of print.
Old 06-06-04, 08:18 PM
Suspended

Linky?

Tried browsing around for it, unsuccessful ...
Old 06-06-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DeltaSigChi4
Linky?

Tried browsing around for it, unsuccessful ...
Took a few tries but I found it

World War 2 Gift Set
Old 06-06-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
The Thin Red Line has the Melanesian songs on it, which is also an out of print version.

The version of Tora! Tora! Tora! isn't the special edition that is available separately, though.

I was able to return my copy from the box set, and I replaced it with the special edition, which I had already purchased.
Old 06-06-04, 09:58 PM
Suspended

Thanks for the link, Tom.
Thanks for the info, Fuzz.

This for me is a no-brainer, I don't own any of them. And I agree, they are great films.
Old 06-06-04, 10:43 PM
Suspended

You know many people hate Thin Red Line, yet surprisingly all WWII veterans who've seen it love it.
Old 06-06-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by greenknight
You know many people hate Thin Red Line, yet surprisingly all WWII veterans who've seen it love it.
I'm not a veteran and it's one of my favorite films. Hmm, I haven't seen it in a while. It's time to give it another spin.
Old 06-07-04, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I saw this set, I instantly bought it because it has the 2 disc version of Patton that has gone OOP for some time now. If this is what you saw, I would strongly recommend the set. They are good movies.
Old 08-16-04, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kind of an old thread but I was wondering would Circuit City, Walmart or another B&M would accept a refund for the versions of Tora Tora Tora and The Thin Red Line in the set without a reciept?

I was thinking about getting the WW2 Collection through DDD and swaping out the two from Columbia House.