Fox/Fortune Star Hong Kong DVD Thread

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Fox/Fortune Star Hong Kong DVD Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-04, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other than being mis-framed -- is the Young Master a good movie? I just won a copy from Green-Cine, so I am curious (I was unfamiliar with this series of releases from Fox until now).

Thanks.
Old 06-14-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great! I love The Postman Strikes Back (Chow Yun Fat).
Old 06-14-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by LorenzoL
Thank you for the information. I guess is a shame since if they ever release the movie for R1, we can expect to be cut, revised and dub without the original language track just like the Jet Li movies and Iron Monkey.

I tried watching the "Twin Warriors AKA Tai Chi Master" of the R1 release and could not get through it anymore because of the dubbing and cuts. I have been spoiled by Fox/Fortune Star releases.
It's even more disgusting when you figure in that the Fox/Fortune Star releases are like $6 and you get the original audio, a dub, occasionally a few extra features, and the film presented in a generally uncut fashion. The Disney Corp. releases are like $15-20 and the only "extra features" on them usually are the crappy dubs and a cut version of the film. That's of course when Disney decides to actually release the film at all.
Old 06-15-04, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Re: Well...

Originally posted by Linn1
"Please tell me that you work for Fox or Fortune Star or you have reliable sources since this will be an awesome news personally."

Well, I work for a couple of other labels looking to get films that they haven't picked up from Fortune Star and in the process, found out much of what Fox has. I've written liner notes for about 15 martial arts dvds, pieces for the Hong Kong Film Archive, newpapers, etc., so I know what I'm talking about.
Any hints of the titles of the future releases might be
Old 06-15-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by texasgator
Other than being mis-framed -- is the Young Master a good movie? I just won a copy from Green-Cine, so I am curious (I was unfamiliar with this series of releases from Fox until now).

Thanks.
This one is considered one of his better movies. I'll highly recommended.
Old 06-16-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The review for "The Postman Strikes Back" courtesy of Kungfucinema.com

The Postman Strikes Back (1982)
AKA: The Postman Fights Back

Premise: Leung Kar-yan plays Ma; the titular postman who is approached by the shifty Hu (Eddy Ko) to transport a number of intriguing cases which he is not permitted to open. He and a number of companions (including gambling cheat Fu Jun played by a young Chow Yun-fat) embark on a journey filled with danger, deception and ‘dynamice!'

Review: With Chow Yun-fat’s subsequent superstardom, director Ronny Yu’s recent Hollywood success and Leung Kar-yan’s solid cult status after genre classic Legend of a Fighter, The Postman Strikes Back reads as a recipe for a forgotten gem. Unfortunately this is not the case, however the film still contains enough character and quirkiness that may work for some Hong Kong film fans. This kung fu road movie has been fittingly dubbed an ‘Eastern Western’ given its fusion of history and action and the beautiful yet treacherous wilderness it is set in. However, instead of our heroes roasting under the sun and roaming a golden dessert, Chow and company freeze their way across the icy plains and snow smothered forests of the southern Korean landscape. Even if tranquil scenery such as this doesn’t do much for hardened kung fu film fans, this does make a welcome change from the understandably overused New Territories of Hong Kong. Not only does this perilously cold location help us care for our characters, this is also one of the many ways Ronny Yu tries to make this potentially formulaic kung fu film notable.

While The Postman Strikes Back contains its fair share of martial arts movie clichés, Yu has injected several novel ideas and concepts. The standout action sequence takes place on a frozen lake and features the dispatching of spear wielding, ice skating assassins. One of the film's other noteworthy innovations is the bizarre ‘piggy back’ kung fu technique employed by the two bounty hunters tracking Fu Jun. Choreographer Yuen Cheung-yan also mixes up the action by implementing explosives and projectiles such as Fu Jun’s underhand dart gun and even Fu Yun’s scarf makes for an effective weapon. Unfortunately, while these elements make the action sequences different there are no prolonged exchanges of intricate kung fu technique that the Yuen Clan’s involvement with the film suggests. Both Leung Kar-yan and Chow Yun-fat bust some moves, and though they handle their movements adequately, the fights are too short and lack the inventive choreography that Leung would exhibit the same year in Legend of a Fighter.

Another problem with the film is Leung Kar-yan’s character's lack of charisma. To be fair to Leung, his character does him little favor. Ma is a fairly lonely character who has to come to terms with the fact that the new railroad will make his occupation obsolete. Children run away from him thinking his packet of melted chocolate resembles something else, and the villagers he delivers to equally view him as the bearer of bad news as well as good. Leung does give a few cool, silent glances here and there and I personally felt quite a bit of sympathy for his character, but for some he may appear too tragic to care for. Consequently, Chow Yun-fat is perhaps a better candidate as the film's lead as he effortlessly steals the movie away from Leung, exhibiting all the charm that would later become his trademark. His character is essentially on the run with a troubled past, making him the more interesting character of the group. The rest of the supporting players turn in fine, if undistinguished performances, with the burly Fan Mei-sheng (The Magnificent Butcher) being the most recognizable to most kung fu movie fans. Even if the characters don’t inspire the audience to care, Yu uses the cases being delivered by Ma as a device to stimulate the audience’s curiosity, pulling them toward the film's finale. Yu also adds the revelation of Yao Jie (Yeun Yat-Choh), the unraveling of the mysterious Miss Li character, and the appearance of a ninja in an attempt to keep the movie interesting.

Thematically, the film presents a China in transition with the postman seemingly undertaking one last, long distance delivery before the eventual emergence on the railroad. The film emphasizes his determination to complete his task against all the dangers he faces on the way. Midway through the film he appears to be caught between his duty as a postman (guarding the cases and respecting his promise not to look inside them) and his duty as a supporter of the revolution. Naturally, no kung fu film would be complete without an element of revenge, and while the film leaves its inclusion late, the postman does indeed ‘strike back.' The film itself is generally well crafted with the cinematography complementing the epic scenery, while the guitar-based score neatly fits the chivalrous premise. Elements of the plot are foreshadowed and set up well in advance going against the trend of thrown-together spontaneity seen in other kung fu films. For example, at the end of the film the audience is finally treated to the payoff of an intriguing and ingenious weapon we see Mei-sheng crafting throughout the journey. The historic backdrop of Dr. Sun Yat-sen's revolution lends a credibility to the film even if the exploits of our protagonists clearly take center stage. Also, the historic rooting of the film begins to excuse the film's latter plot development when the film begins to get excessively brutal.

Overall, much like the plot of the film (a small portion of the Chinese revolution), the film itself also hints at something greater. The Postman Strikes Back is in some ways as ambitious as it is disappointing, packing a lot of ideas into its modest hour and a half, only without fleshing them out fully. Still Ronny Yu makes this film notably distinct, lifting it slightly above average. Kung fu fans however should look elsewhere for their 'fists of fury' fix as this was clearly never the film's priority. That said, even though the film's lack of furious martial arts is for many of us perhaps its biggest disappointment, it may very well be someone else’s saving grace, as the film has plenty of other aspects on offer besides the varied action scenes. Unfortunately, it seems Yu had neither the time nor budget to expand the film and produce what may have been a memorable epic. Fans of Leung Kar-yan may still want to check this out, just as the prospect of some rare, early Chow Yun-fat fight footage may prove tempting enough to earn a rental from his loyal followers. -
Old 06-16-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Images of the covers courtesy of www.kungfucinema.com
Old 06-18-04, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish they could come up with better artwork for these releases, most of the covers suck.
Old 06-18-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gore_Hound_X
I wish they could come up with better artwork for these releases, most of the covers suck.
Actually, I don't mind the covers that Fox is using and If I'm not mistaken, these are similar covers used for the DVDs releases by Universe, Mei Ah or whoever Hong Kong publishers have rights for these movies. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-19-04, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by texasgator
Other than being mis-framed -- is the Young Master a good movie?
After his exceptional comparison review for The Prodigal Son (which can be seen here), Geoff De'arth has taken the trouble to offer us a highly detailed, indepth comparison review of the recent US release and the current UK release of Jackie Chan's The Young Master.

Click here to see if Fox's May 25th US budget release, is as good (or better) than Hong Kong Legends' 2002 release; and more importantly to see if the movie is actually any good.

Snippet:
There’s only one winner here, and it’s the HKL DVD which has soundly beaten its American counterpart in every department. The HKL disc features a very satisfying video transfer, faithfully remixed sound and solid extras. In comparison the Fox version has a very rough looking video transfer, jarring remixed sound and nothing worthwhile in the extras department, so avoid it if you can.
Old 06-29-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally purchased Prodigal Son and have to say that I'm very pleased with the way that it looks. In regards to the audio, I'm little dissapointed with the remixed 5.1 since in some parts of the movie, dialogue pops in and out like a sound effects.

Overall, I'm really happy to have it in my collection since is one of my favorite Kung Fu movies.
Old 06-29-04, 01:24 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is this the same studio that remastered the Bruce Lee films? Hopefully they get to R1 soon
Old 06-30-04, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just want to give a heads up to all Toronto boardmembers that the Music World at Sherway Gardens is having a 2 for $16 sale (it probably carries over to other Music World locations) which includes some of the Fox/Fortune Star titles like:
- Duel to the Death
- Eastern Condors
- In the line of duty 4
- My lucky stars
- Heart of Dragon

Also Future Shop (website and BM stores) carry the following titles:
- Prodigal Son
- The Young Master
- Operation Scorpio
- The Game of Death II
They are priced at $9.99 each

Lastly, HMV has Magnificent Butcher and Magnificent Warriors at $7.99 each.

Happy shopping to anybody interested.
Old 08-26-04, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Where can find these in the states for $6? The website for bestbuy and Circuit City both have them all listed as $9.99. I remember all the Wave 1 movies were discounteded to $6 when I worked at Circuit City but that was about a year ago... Thanks!
Old 08-26-04, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as I know that the wave 1 movies were found in the Wal-Mart $5.88 bins but I haven't seen the newer waves in the bins yet.
Old 08-26-04, 10:22 AM

Could someone give me a quick heads up to the best of each wave? So far I have Magnificent Butcher and In the Line of Duty 4...both of which were well worth the 5.50 I paid for them.
Old 08-26-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tidwell
Could someone give me a quick heads up to the best of each wave? So far I have Magnificent Butcher and In the Line of Duty 4...both of which were well worth the 5.50 I paid for them.
With those prices, why not buy them all! J/K

I guess is very subjective which one are the best but I'll list my favorites from each series:

Wave 1
- Magnificent Butcher
- Magnificent Warriors

Wave 2
- Eastern Condors
- In the Line of Fire IV

Wave 3
- Prodigal Son

Edit - I still need to buy Royal Warriors and Operation Scorpio since I heard that they are very good but I have never watch them before.
Old 08-26-04, 12:11 PM

I'm with you on just buying them all. If only I watched them as fast as I buy them!
I appreciate the list - thanks!
Old 09-02-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, Wave 4 is being released on 09/07/04.

Anybody else buying them?
Old 09-02-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
I've yet to check out the Mr. Vampire movies, but if they're good as everyone says they are then I'm sure to pick up the first one.

I never knew Lam Ching Ying was that good of a martial artist!
Old 09-07-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought all of the released movies of Wave 4 today. It took me a while to find it but I did it.

I have to wait untill the weekend to start watching them.
Old 09-07-04, 09:23 PM

were they all $10 each?
Old 09-07-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Krayzie
were they all $10 each?
Yes, I was able to find them for $9.99 Canadian.
Old 09-07-04, 09:43 PM

Please Lorenzo! Tell me where you found them! No Future Shop or Best Buy I went to today had them. Neither did the local mega HMV...
Old 09-08-04, 12:28 AM

ah they're $9.99 us over here.. =/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.