DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

dogville aug 24

Old 06-03-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

dogville aug 24

dvdfile.com
Also sure to provoke controversy is Lar Von Trier's already-infamous Dogville, starring Oscar-winner Nicole Kidman. Due for release on August 24th, this one includes an anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby 5.1 track, along with the acclaimed "Dogville Confessions" documentary by Sami Saif, on the intense behind-the-scenes drama that went into the making of the film. List price will be $26.95.

damnit, i sure hope thats not right, since the korean 2 disc set has more extras and is a 2 disc set.
- Dogville Test
- Visual Effect
- Press Conferences - Cannes, Trollhattan, Skandinavian Press
- Interviews - Lars Von Trier 1, Lars Von Trier 2, Vibeke Windelov, Anders Refn, Nicole Kidman with TV 2, Nicole Kidman with Australian Press, Stellan Skarsgard, David Bowie
- Confession Box
- Trier, Kindman in Cannes
- Appendix ; About the Movie, Story, Characters, Director
- Commentary by Director and Cinematographer
- Trailer
Old 06-03-04, 12:33 PM

Looks like the R2 DK which I have. This film is fantastic! I just hop you don't get the rumored cut version...
Old 06-03-04, 12:35 PM

Hopefully it will be the full version of the "Dogville Confessions." I have the korean 2-disc set and it only has an abreviated version of the confessions, not the entire documentary.
Old 06-03-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have the superb Danish disc and am more than happy!! Not even interested in the R1 release.
Danish review:
http://207.136.67.23/film/DVDReview/dogville.htm

As to the Korean disc...here's a quote:

"Dogville’s Region 3 Korean DVD is a fully licensed product and not a bootleg, but you might have some trouble telling from the transfer. The three-hour film has been highly compressed, and the quality is only slightly better than the stuff sold on street corners. Colors are washed out and compression artifacts run rampant. Scenes that are supposed to be pure black are instead peppered with these artifacts, making them look all distorted. If you can wait, I’m sure hoping other releases—such as the eventual Region 1—will look much better."
http://www.cinenikki.com/Pages/DVD/DogvilleRegion3/

My opinion differs slightly with this review however it has to be noted that artifacts are indeed a big issue with the Korean disc. Regardless, make your own decision which version is best!!

Pro-B
Old 06-03-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

what about the region 0?
Old 06-03-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I am quite sure that eventhough the reviewer states R3 he actually has the same disc in mind. My comments were also towards the Korean R0 disc which was indeed marketed as being R3 (and only after it was released was concluded that it was indeed R0).

Pro-B
Old 06-03-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That is the one pro-b is refering to.

edit: beaten to it by the man himself.
Old 06-03-04, 01:34 PM

This movie is AMAZING... I sooo want it NOW.

Is this Korean edition really R0?

I bought the Malena DVD from dvdasian.com ... and it turned out ok... but i'd hate to buy this w/o being asolutely sure.

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/16863.html

It says Region: ALL ... but again... just wanted to be sure. So... assure me!
Old 06-03-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

YES....go fo it (if all you need is region confirmation)

Pro-b
Old 06-03-04, 06:38 PM
Cool New Member

If the R1 does not include von Trier's terrific audio commentary, then the R0 is the one to get. Although I wonder how long the unedited "Confessions" feature is?

I have the R0 and didn't see anything wrong with the transfer (viewed in progressive mode, widescreen 34-inch HDTV).

There are plenty of 'em on e-Bay.

Keep in mind though that a great deal of the extras are in Danish (with NO English subtitles). Thankfully, the commentary is in English.
Old 06-03-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Region 0 does not have the 60 minutte Dogville Confessions documentary, though many website states it´s on it.

The best version to get is the Danish 2-Disc Region 2, which has everytning. However, you´ll need a multi-region player.
Old 06-04-04, 01:23 AM
Cool New Member

The R0 does have an edited version of Dogville Confessions. Off the top of my head, I think it's about 20 minutes long.

Also of interest on the R0: the Cannes interviews, where Nicole Kidman says she'll be in all three films. (Not long afterwards, she backed out)

Hopefully this time next year we'll be talking about the Manderlay DVD...
Old 06-04-04, 04:06 AM

The Danish r2 is probably the best (in term of content) DVD of my collection (~ 250 titles).
Second is probably "The Kingdom" 4 DVDs R2DK set (aka Riget by the same director).
Old 06-22-04, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's it? Just a documentary?

This is an amazing film tha deserves the whole schmere.
Old 06-22-04, 05:59 AM

Was this movie a comedy? The whole town made up of tape on the floor had me laughing the whole way through. The actors/actresses would knock in the air and then turn a doorknob that didn't exist to open and shut the door.
What was the budget for this movie? 5 Million for Nicole Kidman and $5 for the tape?
Old 06-22-04, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Shroud
Was this movie a comedy? The whole town made up of tape on the floor had me laughing the whole way through. The actors/actresses would knock in the air and then turn a doorknob that didn't exist to open and shut the door.
What was the budget for this movie? 5 Million for Nicole Kidman and $5 for the tape?
Someone light a match.
Old 06-22-04, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another thumbs up to the Danish R2 set of Dogville. Sold the Korean DVD after learning the "Dogville Confessions" doc was incomplete on that Region 0 set.

Bought the R2 set at laserdisken.dk, along with the "Breaking the Waves" 2-Disc set.
Old 07-18-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Region 1 Dogville will NOT include Dogville Confessions,
so it seems Lions Gate will just be barebones.

Well, seems the Danish or French DVD is still on top,
possibly until the Japanese 3-disc set comes out.
Old 08-23-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: dogville aug 24

Originally posted by Rypro 525
[B]dvdfile.com
Also sure to provoke controversy is Lar Von Trier's already-infamous Dogville,
what was the controversy?
that it didnt have a set other then what was mentioned earlier in this thread?

so what this really is, is a play that was filmed. yes/no?
Old 08-23-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Danish R2 is a primo DVD. I just got mine last week (after the lameness of the Lion's Gate R1 had been confirmed), and it's a fantastic set. This is easily one of the best DVDs I've gotten this year. I admit I was a tad concerned about "replay" value, but watching this film a second time was every bit as compelling as the first (and maybe a tad more interesting with full knowledge of the characters' fates).

The extra features are phenomenal, including the entire cut of "Dogville Confessions", one of the best "making of" documentaries I've seen since, well... "The Humiliated" comes to mind... but I liked this one even better. The only thing I would have liked to see included (and maybe I missed it!) is the final photo montage over Bowie's "Young Americans" to be included without the credits scrolling over it. But it's hard to fault a release this good.
Old 08-23-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: dogville aug 24

Originally posted by whotony
what was the controversy?
Well, when the movie came out, it was met with quite a bit of "This director hates America!" and "What right does this crazy European have to make a movie attacking America when he's never ever been here?" and such.

So perhaps dvdfile was referring to that?
Old 08-23-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the R0 version and am trying to decide which other version to get in order to get the entire Dogville Confessions documentary. I also heard that there was a 3-disc version in Spain (I think) that was released. Anyone heard anything about it, good or bad?
Old 08-23-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

perhaps every "possible" question you might have is answered here...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ogville+review

Pro-B