DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

X-Files Question

Old 05-24-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

X-Files Question

I know that it has been covered before, but I am still not clear on this subject.

On ebay you can get "asian" versions of the X-files season sets for about $15-$25. I have read that the quality is not as good, but just how bad is it, because for the price drop I could like with VHS quality (just as long as it isn't lower).... But the other thing is that i want the specail features, do these have the same features? Thanks
Old 05-24-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think they are bootlegs but I can't say for sure. Many sellers claim they are legit. I have all 9 seasons of the Fox Region 1 DVDs, and yes they are expensive but are well worth it.
Old 05-24-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't know about them, but I am sure you are losing a bit of picture quality. Not to mention Anamorphic Widescreen.

You can get almost every season quite reasonable on half.com. Prices range from $39-$59 for all the different seasons. But you do have to check there to make sure someone isn't slipping you the asian versions.

Also, I think the MSRP just dropped on all the seasons. dvdpricesearch was bringing them all out to be $60-$69 each.

Don't support bootleggers. Give the creators, actors, writers, and producers their due for your enjoyment. Buy retail versions.
Old 05-24-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
They are bootlegs. BOOTLEGS. I can tell you that there is no where Legal to buy those x-files sets for that cheap per season. I work on the fox lot and the studio store which offers GREAT deals still have to charge around 50 new for each set. No way can these be legit for 15-25 each and no way can you be seriously considering getting them. If so get off the message board!

Do not buy those bootlegs. they are bad and the quality you lose is not worth the savings. spend the little more cash and buy them legit.

quality sucks

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 05-24-04 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-24-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You can get almost every season quite reasonable on half.com. Prices range from $39-$59 for all the different seasons. But you do have to check there to make sure someone isn't slipping you the asian versions.
see thats the problem almost every listing on half and amazon marketplace are for the box set but "with a few chinese characters on the box"...

I think i may just go to costco, and buy them, they had them yesterday for $60
Old 05-24-04, 08:29 PM

Yeah, "Chinese characters", sneaky jerks. They are bootlegs, bad bad bad. I have had a few fellow X-Philes buy them and they are not worth it, bad quality with random (non english) subtitles popping up. I don't even think they have any of the special features.

Good idea, go get the pretty official ones at Costco for $62, and you won't be ripping off the people who worked for the show and supporting icky bootleggers.
Old 05-25-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by critterdvd
see thats the problem almost every listing on half and amazon marketplace are for the box set but "with a few chinese characters on the box"...

I think i may just go to costco, and buy them, they had them yesterday for $60
Just email the seller. I got Season 8 recently for about $45. Region 1. Sealed. You you just have to be cautious. Check their feedback and email them.
Old 05-25-04, 08:38 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I've said this before... it's not just the quality that's bad. They discs are usually bad.

I accidentally ordered the first four seasons in the form of a Hong Kong Bootleg. I didn't realize it until after the fact. Anyways, the quality is much worse. In addition, I had several DVDs that wouldn't play, episodes were missing, extras non-existent. It's really a bad deal.

Buy the originals. Bite the bullet and pay the extra money... I did, not too long after I wasted a bunch of money on those bootlegs...
Old 05-25-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Just email the seller. I got Season 8 recently for about $45. Region 1. Sealed. You you just have to be cautious. Check their feedback and email them.
Usually I check the "Location" field. Don't buy from any seller outside of the US.

BTW - the sets are only animorphic from season 6 on...
Old 05-25-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rfduncan
BTW - the sets are only animorphic from season 6 on...
Season 5, actually.
Old 10-05-04, 09:55 PM

Asian version is not Anamorphic.
Lose picture qulity when veiwed on HD or LCD TVs.
Better or equal to VHS quality.
Some disks may skip or not work at all.

If you just want to watch em on a regular TV its a fair price.
Old 10-06-04, 06:44 AM

Mod note: Discussion of bootlegs is not allowed on this board.