DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Titanic (1943)

Old 05-10-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Titanic (1943)

When will they release this film on DVD? I know that it is a Nazi propaganda film and all, but a lot of it seemed to ring true in the clips I saw on one of the Titanic documentaries. Especially the scenes between Captain EJ Smith & Bruce Ismay.
Old 05-10-04, 08:24 PM

I thought I heard somewhere that it was to be released. I guess we'll have to wait & see.
Old 06-12-04, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was just browsing Kino's website, and noticed that they're releasing this on 7/20. Sounds like a great release.
Here's the link: http://www.kino.com/video/item.php?film_id=709
Old 06-12-04, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is a link to the pre-orders (DVD-Talkified):

DVD Planet for $20.97.

http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click...746&format=DVD

DDD for $20.22

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=KOV031329

Last edited by LasVegasMichael; 06-12-04 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-12-04, 06:16 PM

Yes it is a German propaganda film. One of the officer s in the film is German who tells the English officer what to do and he is always fight.
By the way, the director of the film was shot by the SS during the filming because he insulted a SS officer> They literally dragged him out of the studio during the filming.
Austin
Old 06-13-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I see that on the same date (7/20) Kino is releasing another film from the Nazi era-UFA's elaboate fantasy MUENCHAUSEN, a "response" to British and American fantasy flims like THIEF OF BAGDAD and THE WIZARD OF OZ.
Old 06-14-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Doc Moonlight
I see that on the same date (7/20) Kino is releasing another film from the Nazi era-UFA's elaboate fantasy MUENCHAUSEN, a "response" to British and American fantasy flims like THIEF OF BAGDAD and THE WIZARD OF OZ.
I have the UK R2 DVD of this. Great film... and definitely worth checking out. I'll be picking up the Titanic one too.
Old 06-14-04, 01:58 PM
Banned

Both Munchausen and Titanic (which has fascinated me since I found out about it on the A Night to Remember Criterion commentary) sound great. I might have to get them both. Sort of the dark side of Disney's Behind Enemy Lines set.
Old 09-01-04, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just got this DVD, and while I didn't sit and watch it yet, I did pop it into the player to catch some glimpses.

--->no Audio selections (meaning, you can't watch with English coming out of the German's lips). I was a bit disappointed about that, since all English-language movies have Audio selections for other languages.

--->English subtitles, yes, but very hard to see against the black-and-white background of the film. The subtitles could have been darker for easier reading.

This is a movie where I will have to take my time with, make sure there's no distractions (tell the wife and kid to leave for awhile), because it will be hard to follow as I don't speak German.