Reload this Page >

Richard Elfman's Forbidden Zone

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-02-04, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I was at the Nuart Theatre in West Los Angeles Friday night for the re-release of Richard Elfman's Forbidden Zone. It's being shown at Landmark Theatres across the country this Summer.

Forbidden Zone

It was a big midnight show with the Oingo Boingo tribute band Dead Man's Party playing before the presentation. After the movie, Richard Elfman did a Q&A session and one of the things mentioned was that the movie was going to be released on DVD on August 31st from Fantoma. It's supposed to be jam-packed with bonus features (including deleted scenes, clips from the original 16mm version, commentary, behind the scenes, etc).

I checked the Fantoma site and nothing is mentioned there yet. But it's still early in the year.

Andrew
Old 05-02-04, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was really hoping for a company like BU or AB to release is, as I have been really disappointed with Fantoma's DVD's. Maybe when Fantoma's rights run out, someone else could do wonders with it (ARE YOU LISTENING Bu?), as I am hoping for on GREAT SILENCE that Fantoma recently lost the rights to (hint hint BU!)

Last edited by prince_of_saturn; 05-02-04 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-02-04, 09:51 AM

I'm amazed that it's finally coming out! I saw it like 15 years ago on VHS and have wanted to find it again ever since!
Old 05-02-04, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the info! (Although I'm very upset I didn't hear about this.... ) Luckily they are doing it again in Pasadena on June 26th! This crosses another off my list of needed cult films on DVD. Now if only they would release the OG Bedazzled, No Blade of Grass, The Quiet Earth and Night of the Comet I could start a decent cult section in my collection...
Old 05-02-04, 12:23 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Well, the producer of the DVD is the same fella who crafted Elite's Millennium Edition of I Spit On Your Grave. I'm confident it'll be of the best quality possible. The 35mm prints for this theatrical run were struck from the original negative, so what you're seeing is a good preview for the disc.
Old 05-02-04, 01:36 PM

I thought Fantoma's releases were supposed to be pretty good. I know my One From the Heart disc looks pretty good and is packed with extras.
Old 05-02-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried to finangle a VHS copy away from my local video rental place recently and was unable to do so. Come on, judging all the weird looks I got when I tried to rent it and the fact that it had a three inch layer of dust on it, I somehow doubt that anyone has ever rented before or will any time in the future. Oh well, glad to see it's getting a DVD release of any kind.
Old 05-02-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally posted by Joe Molotov
I tried to finangle a VHS copy away from my local video rental place recently and was unable to do so. Come on, judging all the weird looks I got when I tried to rent it and the fact that it had a three inch layer of dust on it, I somehow doubt that anyone has ever rented before or will any time in the future. Oh well, glad to see it's getting a DVD release of any kind.
Um, just for my edification, what reason did they give for not letting you rent it?
Old 05-02-04, 06:15 PM

I found FORBIDDDEN ZONE at Chiller Theater Con this past October on DVD. The disc was not a DVD - R . It was produced by Substance DVD, has a UPC code and looks legit (can't be sure though - it does look professional). The dealer at the table only had Forbidden Zone DVDs for sale. It has a copyright and even mentions that all rights are reserved, copyright Substance DVD.
The disc looks very good, audio is fine (actually much sharper than my VHS on the Media label). There's a menu and scene access - no trailer or any other extras.
Old 05-02-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike
Um, just for my edification, what reason did they give for not letting you rent it?
They let me rent it (eventually), they just wouldn't let me buy it off of them. I say eventually because it turned out it had never even been entered in their computer's database so they told me I'd have to wait until tomorrow when their manager came in and added it to the database before I could rent it. This was after they'd already charged my credit card for the rental, by the way. This is what actually led to me attempting to just buy it straight out, but they weren't going for it. So I went back the next day and finally got to rent it, but I swear the manager looked at me like I was some kind of weirdo for trying to rent it. "Oh yeah, you were the guy from last night. You were trying to rent that.............'musical'."

That was the last time I went to that place.
Old 05-02-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by G. Noel Gross
Well, the producer of the DVD is the same fella who crafted Elite's Millennium Edition of I Spit On Your Grave. I'm confident it'll be of the best quality possible. The 35mm prints for this theatrical run were struck from the original negative, so what you're seeing is a good preview for the disc.

The 35mm print looked great! I have an original VHS copy from way back when and the 35mm print blew it away.

Can't wait for August 31st.

Andrew
Old 05-03-04, 10:01 AM

Forbidden Zone - bootleg

Just for the record, the Substance DVD of FORBIDDEN ZONE is a bootleg, probably copied from a VHS. If anyone knows how to contact them, we'd like to send them a lawyer's letter. The good folks at FANTOMA have just transferred the film from the original 35mm negative to Hi-Def 24p with Richard Elfman's supervision. The picture quality is superb. The sound track elements (pre-dubs) have been delivered to Chace Productions for a new re-mix in Dolby Digital 5.1. (Don't worry, the Mono track will be there too!). There will be deleted scenes and excerpts from the 16mm experimental prototype film, plus much more. Also, the Nuart screening on April 30, sold out and had turnaway crowds.

J. F. Murphy
F Z Distribution, LLC
www.forbiddenzonethemovie.com
Old 05-03-04, 01:20 PM

Jack - I've seen on a few fan sites that someone mentioned Substance DVD was out of Canada, but unfortunately there is no address on the disc itself to identify where they are located. I can't wait for the legit release of the Forbidden Zone - it's long overdue!
Old 07-03-04, 03:58 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Specs are up on Fantoma's site.

-New high-definition widescreen transfer (1.78:1), supervised by director Richard Elfman, enhanced for 16x9 televisions
-Newly remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
-Isolated music track, featuring Danny Elfman's songs and music in Dolby Digital 5.1
-Audio commentary by Richard Elfman and Matthew Bright
-An extensive behind the scenes documentary featuring new interviews with cast and crew members and archival footage, including scenes from Elfman's lost film THE HERCULES FAMILY and a history of the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo that follows their transformation from theatrical stage troupe to legendary rock band
-Oingo Boingo music video PRIVATE LIFE directed by Richard Elfman
-Two complete scenes from THE HERCULS FAMILY
-A collection of deleted scenes
-Theatrical trailer
-English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
-Song lyrics, collectible booklet and much more!
Old 07-03-04, 09:57 PM

Will Susan Tyrrell be included with this DVD release? I recall hearing it was one of the few films she was very proud of in her vast career.
Old 07-04-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Der Zorn Gottes
and a history of the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo that follows their transformation from theatrical stage troupe to legendary rock band

This alone is worth every penny!

I'm so there.

Andrew
Old 07-04-04, 02:04 PM

Susay Tyrrell

Will Susan Tyrrell be included with this DVD release?
------------------------------------------------------------------

Susan Tyrrell will definately be on the DVD release. She was interviewed on camera by Richard Elfman at the June 26 RIALTO screening in Pasadena where she made a rare appearance. The audience went wild. Applause and cheers at every musical number. You had to be there.

Also on camera interviews were done with Matthew Bright and Danny Elfman. In a rare interview Danny speaks about his early career particularly about his early days and his musical evolution. This is going to be an absolute "must see" for all of his fans.

J. F. Murphy
F Z Distribution, LLC
www.forbiddenzonethemovie.com
Old 07-04-04, 04:35 PM

any release date?
Old 07-04-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
Originally posted by Darryl
any release date?
August 31st... mentioned in the first post
Old 08-17-04, 11:06 PM

You can pre-order at various places now. Best price I can see is $15 at DDD.

Forbidden Zone at DDD
Old 08-18-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fear.

I showed this movie to a bunch of friends recently. All of them sat slack-jawed for a few minutes after it ended. They claimed they didn't like it, but they've been quoting the movie ever since.

It's too bad Pico and Sepulveda isn't on the soundtrack. That's the best song.
Old 08-19-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news. Nice to see this is getting put out as a special edition. I always feared FZ would get put out on Anchor Bay with just the movie and a trailer.

When I first joined DVDTalk, my most-wanted list looked like this:

Eraserhead
Eyes Without A Face
Forbidden Zone
The Conformist

After October, it's up to Paramount to close the gap!
Old 08-20-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's too bad Pico and Sepulveda isn't on the soundtrack. That's the best song.
It is on the cassette version of the soundtrack. I've made a "complete" CD-R version from the two elements. That won't be necessary anymore since the DVD will have a complete isolated score.
Old 04-06-05, 02:00 AM

Just recently watched this and have to say what a hilarious trip.

This movie goes great in my collection and I laughed my ass off when a friend of mine saw it, picked it up, put it down immediatly, looked at me with a baffled look and said "Im not going to eve bother asking what that is"

Dont worry he will be forced to watch it one day.