DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Return To Oz? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/345971-return-oz.html)

marioxb 12-02-04 11:51 AM

Cool. Sounds great! I will scan my Anchor Bay cover and start working on a custom cover for the Disney version right away.

BeckysBoy 12-02-04 01:44 PM

Originally posted by djones6746
Is this movie actually good? Wondering if my kids along with myself may enjoy the continuation of the OZ story. :)
I liked it very much both as a kid (when, for my birthday party, we saw it in the theater as a double feature along with Big Trouble in Little China...Man, that was a great year) and as an adult. It's nothing like the Wizard of Oz. It's much darker and, as others have said, much more faithful to Frank L. Baum's original books. But it's a very imaginative and engaging film to say the least. A bit too scary for little littles, though.

BeckysBoy 12-02-04 01:59 PM

Originally posted by mdc3000
Anyhow, I'm surprised that so many people feel Return to Oz is a kid friendly film. I know it's not extremely scary, but when I was a child, I found it pretty intense for a kids film and it wasn't until a few years ago that I could watch it again.... I think it may be traumatic to really younger kids.... I mean, the Wheelers are freaky, the switching heads thing still bothers me... I'd say it's good for kids like 12 and up, but sitting a 4 year old down to watch this? I'd say NO.
I felt the same way about "The Dark Crystal." That movie practically gave me night terrors as a child.

mzupeman2 12-03-04 02:43 PM

Yeah, beat me to it. Return To Oz is a really great film for what it is. It starts off really dark and almost creepy, stays that way as well. And when you're finished watching you almost feel like you've sat through a fantasy adventure kind of movie like The Neverending Story, or Labyrinth (without the music of course). I remember as a kid myself being kind of frightened a tad. I saw a piece of it on TV and stopped watching. It was kind of odd for me as a child to comprehend what was going on since it wasn't 'The Wizard Of Oz' that I knew. But watching it now, I really enjoy this film and anybody should definitely wait to show this movie to their children until they're a little better at handling spooky themed things.

Cameron 12-22-05 12:07 AM

well, i finally got rid of the old disc, and plan on purchasing the new disc this week...anyone have any revelations on a reason to keep the anchor bay disc.

I didn't find a review on this site for either disc...

movielib 12-22-05 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
well, i finally got rid of the old disc, and plan on purchasing the new disc this week...anyone have any revelations on a reason to keep the anchor bay disc.

I didn't find a review on this site for either disc...

As previously said, the only thing superior about the Anchor Bay edition is the cover art.