DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Return To Oz? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/345971-return-oz.html)

Snarff 02-08-04 01:56 AM

Return To Oz?

Was thinking of picking this up, but i have noticed 2 different covers for just wanted to know if its the same release or is there and different about them, mostly in the A/V area not to concerned about features on this title. Thanks

movielib 02-08-04 10:36 AM

I have the old Anchor Bay release and these are the differences I could figure out:

- The old one (Anchor Bay) has both widescreen and fullscreen versions, the new one (Disney) has only widescreen (advantage neither because who cares about fullscreen?)

- The old one is not anamorphic, the new one is (big advantage new one)

- Both are DD 5.1 (advantage neither unless the new one has an improved mix)

- Extras seem to be about the same

- The old one is out of print, the new one isn't (advantage new one)

Snarff 02-08-04 10:52 AM

Thanks for the info

egoing 02-08-04 12:04 PM

Originally posted by movielib
I have the old Anchor Bay release and these are the differences I could figure out:

- The old one (Anchor Bay) has both widescreen and fullscreen versions, the new one (Disney) has only widescreen (advantage neither because who cares about fullscreen?)

- Both are DD 5.1 (advantage neither unless the new one has an improved mix)

- Extras seem to be about the same

- The old one is out of print, the new one isn't (advantage new one)

Anchor Bay used the original poster art for the cover and it comes in a purple case. The disney cover is awful.

djones6746 02-08-04 02:18 PM

Is this movie actually good? Wondering if my kids along with myself may enjoy the continuation of the OZ story. :)

movielib 02-08-04 05:05 PM

Originally posted by djones6746
Is this movie actually good? Wondering if my kids along with myself may enjoy the continuation of the OZ story. :)
It's wonderful. But it is not at all like the 1939 movie. Not a musical, much more faithful to L. Frank Baum's Oz books.

Draven99 02-08-04 05:35 PM

Picked this up the other day. This is a really good movie, better than I remembered it. The print did seem to have a lot of dirt/damage in like the first 10 minutes, but overall it is a nice looking disk.

Snarff 02-08-04 08:25 PM

Just picked this up today at BB, it sure is one ugly cover
It also had a NEW TO DVD sticker on which makes no sense cause anchor bay had released it

Numes 02-08-04 09:56 PM

Originally posted by djones6746
Excellent Movie. I haven't watched it for probably 10 years until a couple of weeks ago. I found this site after I watched it:

http://www.returntoozthemovie.com/

The quote on the disney cover says something to the effect of "Takes off from where the Wizard of Oz left off". I would say that is not an accurate statement. Return to Oz, apparantly, is more in line with the books. It is darker than the Wizard of Oz, but still kid-friendly.

bboisvert 02-09-04 08:50 AM

I'd love if someone out there with both editions could do a comparison... I have the old Anchor Bay and, as movielib says, the editions look to be pretty much identical except for this issue.

(And the terrible cover art on the new one... what the hell's up w/Dorothy's face?)

Anyway, I'd rather keep my old disc, but not if there is a major improvement in picture quality. I'm just afraid that this may be a case (like Criterion's Charade) where the non-anamorphic actually looks better...

movielib 02-09-04 10:08 AM

Originally posted by bboisvert
I'd love if someone out there with both editions could do a comparison... I have the old Anchor Bay and, as movielib says, the editions look to be pretty much identical except for this issue.

(And the terrible cover art on the new one... what the hell's up w/Dorothy's face?)

Anyway, I'd rather keep my old disc, but not if there is a major improvement in picture quality. I'm just afraid that this may be a case (like Criterion's Charade) where the non-anamorphic actually looks better...

I just ordered the new one and I'll make a comparison when it arrives (it'll be awhile - coming by media mail from Canada). I think I'll keep the old one regardless, for the cover art; the Disney cover is indeed hideous.

movielib 02-15-04 10:04 AM

I received my Disney Return to Oz much sooner than I expected.

I compared the pictures and the anamorphic Disney version is much better. The Anchor Bay picture looks quite dull and washed out by comparison. Much of the film is not bright and colorful but those parts also look much sharper and more pleasing on the new DVD.

bboisvert 02-15-04 04:33 PM

Thanks for the comparison... looks like I have another title to add to my Buy List. ;)

Jackskeleton 02-15-04 04:54 PM

It's wonderful. But it is not at all like the 1939 movie. Not a musical, much more faithful to L. Frank Baum's Oz books.
No Tip = No Sale! ;)

Return to Oz is at best a mix of Ozma of Oz and Land of Oz. Though I give it credit for being as edgy as it was for a disney film. then again, this was during the period in time when disney ventured into darker theme films such as Flight of the Navigator, Black Cauldron, great mouse detective, tron, etc.

movielib 02-15-04 07:06 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

No Tip = No Sale!

Return to Oz is at best a mix of Ozma of Oz and Land of Oz. ...

Well yes, that's exactly what it is and was intended to be (The Marvelous Land of Oz is Oz book #2 and Ozma of Oz is Oz book #3). But Book #2 did not have Dorothy in it and I'd be willing to bet no one would ever have the nerve to make an Oz movie without Dorothy (Baum and the subsequent "official" Oz authors never did it again, I don't think, although there were some where she didn't play a big part). For obvious reasons, Tip had to be sacrificed (in one persona).

RaynMan2019 02-17-04 10:51 AM

I'd like to do a remake of The Wizard of Oz closer to L. Frank Baum's book. It's one of my dream projects if I ever become a big Hollywood director. Same with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I'd like to make it dark and gritty with an MPAA rating of it a PG-13 verging on an R rating. Last but not least, I'd LOVE to make NAPOLEON into a big epic... Any other ideas as to what film projects would be good suggestion from you to me?

shill66 02-19-04 04:01 PM

Return to Oz is one of my favorite horror movies.

Anamorphic = confirmed sale (double-dip) for me.

RKillgore 02-19-04 05:14 PM

Originally posted by RaynMan2019
I'd like to do a remake of The Wizard of Oz closer to L. Frank Baum's book. I'd like to make it dark and gritty with an MPAA rating of it a PG-13 verging on an R rating.
I sometimes wonder how that would go over. The chapter that sticks out in my mind is where the Wicked Witch of the West sent swarms of bees, flocks of crows and packs of wolves after Dorothy and company.
Spoilerized if you've never read the book.
Spoiler:
For the bees, they pulled the straw out of the Scarecrow, covered Dorothy and the Lion, while the Tin Woodsman stood out in the open. As the bees attack, they just broke off their stingers on his metal skin, building up piles of dead bees until they looked like piles of coal. When the crows attacked, the Scarecrow stood out in the open and as the crows flew in to peck his painted-on eyes, he pulled them out of the air, wringing their necks. Again, huge amounts of dead crows stacked up. When the wolves attacked, the Tin Woodsman lopped their heads off with his ax.
No action from the Cowardly Lion, but later on he breaks the back of some guardian monster.
Pretty gruesome stuff and I'm sure the masses expecting a musical or kids movie would be outraged.

I recently picked up Return to Oz; it's a movie I've been meaning to watch for years, based on its reputation of being a more faithful adaption and subsequently a little disturbing. I thought it was great, especially when the Wheelers showed up.

egoing 02-19-04 09:13 PM

According to the Reporter, talent agency ICM brokered a deal between Walt Disney Pictures, Jerry Bruckheimer Films, and Carbon 6--McGee's "interactive entertainment" company. While no production start date has been set, two first-time screenwriters, Kevin and Dan Hageman, are attached to the project.

Much like 2000's American McGee's Alice, American McGee's Oz will be a dark reworking of a classic children's tale, which, in this case, is The Wizard of Oz. Other than its basic premise, which transforms Oz from a magical fairyland into a war-torn hellscape, little is known about the game other than the fact that it is officially due sometime this year for the PC and Xbox.

RaynMan2019 02-20-04 01:04 AM

Originally posted by RKillgore
I sometimes wonder how that would go over. The chapter that sticks out in my mind is where the Wicked Witch of the West sent swarms of bees, flocks of crows and packs of wolves after Dorothy and company.
Spoilerized if you've never read the book.
Spoiler:
For the bees, they pulled the straw out of the Scarecrow, covered Dorothy and the Lion, while the Tin Woodsman stood out in the open. As the bees attack, they just broke off their stingers on his metal skin, building up piles of dead bees until they looked like piles of coal. When the crows attacked, the Scarecrow stood out in the open and as the crows flew in to peck his painted-on eyes, he pulled them out of the air, wringing their necks. Again, huge amounts of dead crows stacked up. When the wolves attacked, the Tin Woodsman lopped their heads off with his ax.
No action from the Cowardly Lion, but later on he breaks the back of some guardian monster.
Pretty gruesome stuff and I'm sure the masses expecting a musical or kids movie would be outraged.

I recently picked up Return to Oz; it's a movie I've been meaning to watch for years, based on its reputation of being a more faithful adaption and subsequently a little disturbing. I thought it was great, especially when the Wheelers showed up.

That scene would defitnitely merit a PG-13 due to violence. Kinda like when the Tim Burton version of Sleepy Hollow came out, people going to see it most likely connected it with the animated Disney version. Therefore, if said viewers didn't know the style of Tim Burton and found out at a prior time this was more violent graphically, then you know what happens in this type of situation. Linking two films which came from previous sources, in this case a book, is really helpful.
Any other scenes which are violent in this manner since I do not currently own the book at this time.

RaynMan2019 02-20-04 01:22 AM

I'm talking about making a DIRECT adaptation to the book and not through some video-game source. Kind of on the terms of what Peter Jackson did for The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, which is an EXCELLENT adaptation from book to screen because it's very close to the original source.
Maybe my 'adaptation' would be more suited to the Sci-Fi channel as a mini-series, wouldn't it? Due to the length of the book I see this more likely to fit in the same way the Frank Herbert's Dune mini seemed to be more natural that particular way.

RKillgore 02-20-04 07:06 AM

Any other scenes which are violent in this manner since I do not currently own the book at this time.
Sure.
Spoiler:
The story of Nick Chopper, the Tin Woodsman himself, is pretty violent, as his cursed ax systematically cuts off parts of his own body. The depiction of his body parts being replaced, piece by piece, with tin parts could be played out rather darkly.
After Dororthy and the Lion fall victim to the poppy fields, the Woodsman sees a mouse being pursued by a wildcat. Feeling for the mouse, he cuts off the head of the wildcat (I guess his compassion only goes so far), rescuing the Queen of Mice, who helps them get Dorothy and the Lion out of the fields.
The attack of the Winged Monkeys result in the Scarecrow being ripped apart, his straw scattered and the clothes that make up his body thrown into a tree (although this was done in the 1939 version, to an extent) and the Tin Woodsman is flown into the air and dashed down onto huge sharp and jagged rocks, mangling his body.
On the way to see Glinda, the quartet encounter a land where the people and animals are made of china and subsequently, very fragile.
The Cowardly Lion gains his title of King of the Forest by defeating a huge insect monster that terrorizes all the other animals. He jumps onto the monster's weak point in its back, breaking it, then swiping its spiderish head off with his mighty clawed paw. Baum was big on decapitation, sounds like.
The also meet men called the Hammerheads at the top of a hill, who threaten to stop their progress. Since the Hammerheads have no arms, Dorothy and company are puzzled how the Hammerheads will stop them. When they get close, the Hammerheads' heads spring out on their extendable necks, knocking them back down the hill. Not really as violent as some of the other parts, but bizarre enough.

mdc3000 02-20-04 08:40 AM

It's one of my dream projects if I ever become a big Hollywood director. Same with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I'd like to make it dark and gritty with an MPAA rating of it a PG-13 verging on an R rating.
Hey, that's one of my dream projects when I become a big Hollywood Director!!!!! That and an update of He-Man. Here's hoping that one of us will get to do TMNT: Hardcore... (and by one of us, I mean ME). :P

Anyhow, I'm surprised that so many people feel Return to Oz is a kid friendly film. I know it's not extremely scary, but when I was a child, I found it pretty intense for a kids film and it wasn't until a few years ago that I could watch it again.... I think it may be traumatic to really younger kids.... I mean, the Wheelers are freaky, the switching heads thing still bothers me... I'd say it's good for kids like 12 and up, but sitting a 4 year old down to watch this? I'd say NO.

MATT

marioxb 12-02-04 11:00 AM

I forgot this thing even came out! I have the old Anchor Bay release with the much better cover. So the Disney release has a much better transfer, huh?

What about the extras? Anchor Bay's has "Fairuza Returns to Oz" produced and directed by Mark Cerulli, and a "Fairuza Balk Introduction". According to the back cover on DVDempire.com, Disney's has "Fairuza Balk Returns to Oz" which I assume is the same as the Anchor Bay, and some trailers and tv spots, which I don't think AB has any. What about Fairuza's introduction? I assume it's only on the AB one?

Looks like it's time to scan my Anchor Bay cover, update it a bit and use it for my new Disney version (once I get it)!

bboisvert 12-02-04 11:28 AM

The intro is the same on both versions (Disney and Anchor Bay). The only advantage of the AB edition is the much-superior cover. The Disney has better picture quality and is definitely the way to go...