Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Will Super Fuzz be out on DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Will Super Fuzz be out on DVD?

This is one of my favorite movie from the early eighties. It stars Terence Hill and Ernest Borgnine
More info here:
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0082924/

Will we see a region 1 version of this DVD? I would love to get this.

If not, there is a region 2 DVD is being released as "Super Snooper" in the U.K.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...541965-5955626
Old 12-31-03, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anchor Bay listed it as an upcoming title at one point, but later removed it from their list. I e-mailed them about it at the time, and they told me they were unable to secure the rights for it. It's just a hunch, but something tells me that William Lustig of Blue Underground licensed the film himself. Since BU struck out on their own, it's possible that they might release it eventually. Let's hope so, anyway.

DJ
Old 12-31-03, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
god damn that'd be great if super fuzz came out. criterion needs to release this one.
Old 12-31-03, 07:35 AM

Gimme gimme!!!

This is a childhood favorite even though I knew it was junk at the time. I love it!

I love when he blows the gigantic bubble with bubble gum but you can plainly see the ropes around the balloon. Hehe.
Old 12-31-03, 08:29 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I too love this film (quite honestly, it's my most anticipated DVD at the moment )

Anyway, like djtoell said AB did have it on their upcoming list but has since been removed. I emailed them as well and got the same answer. The Region 2 release (from the amazon.co.uk link above) has me curious as to whether that version is extended from the American, Super Fuzz release. Super Snooper clocks in at around 110 minutes, where Super Fuzz is at around 96, I think.

So, not only would I love to have Super Fuzz released in R1, but to have it be the extended version as well (which I have never seen).
Old 12-31-03, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Geofferson
The Region 2 release (from the amazon.co.uk link above) has me curious as to whether that version is extended from the American, Super Fuzz release. Super Snooper clocks in at around 110 minutes, where Super Fuzz is at around 96, I think.
Benson's World lists the disc as having a runtime of 101 minutes. 110 minutes with PAL speedup would be about 105 minutes or so, so it sounds to be in the right neighborhood. I'm pessimistic about it being OAR, though.

DJ
Old 12-31-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by djtoell
Benson's World lists the disc as having a runtime of 101 minutes. 110 minutes with PAL speedup would be about 105 minutes or so, so it sounds to be in the right neighborhood. I'm pessimistic about it being OAR, though.

DJ
I actually had the marvelous fortune to see Super Fuzz on the big screen this summer at a revival house, and regarding OAR, it looks like it was shot 1:85 and the version we've seen is simply open matte, so don't worry too much if it's full frame. I'd love to have it in proper OAR, but at least you aren't losing anything. After the wait for this, I'll take it any which way I can get it and I'll definately be ordering the Region 2. I don't care if the Region 1 comes out the day after I get it. Whichever it is, I just hope we get some damn special features on it, whatever can be culled. Interview Terence Hill and Borgnine. And how hot is the girl in Super Fuzz, what a cutie!
Old 12-31-03, 02:09 PM

Pure cheese! One of our favourites in this house. We've got a dub off an old TV broadcast but would gladly welcome a DVD. Criterion Collection, are you listening? Ha!

"Supa, Supa! Supa-Supa-Supa!"
Old 01-01-04, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
I actually had the marvelous fortune to see Super Fuzz on the big screen this summer at a revival house, and regarding OAR, it looks like it was shot 1:85 and the version we've seen is simply open matte, so don't worry too much if it's full frame. I'd love to have it in proper OAR, but at least you aren't losing anything.
I do worry about full frame. First, so-called "open matte" transfers usually crop the sides of the image in order to reduce headroom (or sometimes even zoom in further to eliminate boom mics and other things that might appear in the top of the frame). Second, it can completely destroy the intended composition of the framing. Third, it reduces the image quality that we would get for the correct portion of the frame from a 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer. 33% additional resolution is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm not going to cry a river if the disc is full frame, and I'm even likely to buy it for the right price, but the "you don't lose anything" mantra that so many repeat just isn't so. You lose a lot.

DJ
Old 01-01-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought I was the only person in the world who remembers this movie. Glad to see I'm not.
Old 01-01-04, 03:02 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Second, it can completely destroy the intended composition of the framing.
Was there composition and framing in SUPER FUZZ?
Old 10-28-04, 10:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Great news guys...according to www.terencehill.com, Super Fuzz will be released in R1 on December 7!

DVD releases USA: 'Watch Out We're Mad' and 'Double Trouble' will be on sale from October 26, 'Who Finds a Friend Finds a Treasure' from November 30. 'Super Fuzz' will be released on December 7, 2004
Old 10-28-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's just a hunch, but something tells me that William Lustig of Blue Underground licensed the film himself. Since BU struck out on their own, it's possible that they might release it eventually. Let's hope so, anyway.

DJ
I can't reveal my source, but I can tell you right now Blue Underground did not license it, nor did Lustig. It came about to Anchor bay thru a deal with studio Canal, but Canal could'nt deliver the uncut version to them, so it was dropped.
Old 10-28-04, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Geofferson
Great news guys...according to www.terencehill.com, Super Fuzz will be released in R1 on December 7!
That makes me happy indeed. Another movie that will seem a lot more corny now than it did when I first saw it, but is a must have for nostalgia's sake.
Old 10-29-04, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
I haven't seen this flick since I was a kid. Does it hold up or is it cool just for the nostalgia factor?

I will have to Netflix it once it comes out.
Old 10-29-04, 07:20 AM

I'll have to get this one, just for nostalgia's sake. I really doubt that it holds up well, considering that I thought it was a bit too cheesey even back when I was twelve, watching this on Showtime. Still, it's one of those, like Hawk the Slayer, that my brother and I, and all our friends, spent countless hours watching back then, so it'd be fun to get.