Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jack Clayton's "The Innocents" forthcoming?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-03, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazon.com has an option where you can register to be notified by email if a title which is not currently on dvd becomes available. I understand that the studios monitor this list and take it into consideration when selecting older titles for release. After Robert Wise's "The Haunting" was released, I had high hopes that Jack Clayton's magnificent treatment of "The Turn of the Screw," "The Innocents" starring Deborah Kerr, might be up next. In fact, I swear that I received notification saying that it would be out in Feb. 2004! However, the current Amazon entry does not list it as forthcoming. Did anyone else see an annoucement, or am I starting to see things? (This would be an appropriate movie for that to happen!) Best, Scott Connors
Old 12-29-03, 07:41 AM

I registered to be notified when "The Innocents" could be pre-ordered. However, I have yet to get a notification. This is a truly great ghost story. Doesn't have the large following of "The Haunting," though, and that may be the reason why it's still unavailable.
Old 12-30-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks, this is truly a great discovery on my part, and thank you for sharing the wealth of useful information...

I have been wainting for this film since my first DVD player...
Old 02-04-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was going to post a thread asking if The Innocents might be an upcoming Fox Studio Classics release (or ANY kind of DVD release, really). Since search is my friend, I found this thread.

Anyone know anything? Facts? Rumors?
Old 02-04-04, 02:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Filmgoers in the Washington DC area, note:

Montgomery College Film Series at the AFI (Silver Theatre)

"The Innocents" - Thursday February 26th 6:15pm

screening + instructor/audience discussion to follow film.
Old 02-04-04, 02:46 PM

At the recent Fox chat with Peter Staddon at the Home Theater Forum. Staddon was asked about The Innocents as a possible upcoming release and, sadly, he replied that he had never heard of the film:
{AgeeBassett} Any hope of seeing The Innocents, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and
the much-neglected gem Zoo in Budapest any time soon? Thanks.

{peterstaddon} Hi Agee, if you had to pick one of those to see on DVD Ihope it
would be "a tree grows in Brooklyn" as that's the only on ewe are doing any work
on at the moment. I'll have to check out the innocents as I'm not that familiar
with it.
This doesn't bode well for an upcoming DVD.
Old 07-10-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I recently received a message from Amazon that The Innocents will be released on September 6, 2005. And searching Amazon's site for the title brings up the listing for the DVD first.

It looks like it is finally going to be released.
Old 07-10-05, 08:52 PM

Actually, it has already been released in R4 (Australia) as of this May. I have a copy of that disc, which is okay (the picture is a bit grainy, but it is better than my VHS tape), but it is not in the same class as the WB edition of Robert Wise's The Haunting. I may doubledip if the R1 edition has a better transfer or some juicy extras.
Old 07-10-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott Connors
Actually, it has already been released in R4 (Australia) as of this May. I have a copy of that disc, which is okay (the picture is a bit grainy, but it is better than my VHS tape), but it is not in the same class as the WB edition of Robert Wise's The Haunting. I may doubledip if the R1 edition has a better transfer or some juicy extras.
I'm getting it, no matter what. Because until there is a major rediscovery of this great film by the public and major critics (which still hasn't happened after over 40 years), this will be the only version we'll ever get. So, at this point, a DVD release in Widescreen is enough for me.
Old 07-14-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This along with Naked are films I have been waited forever for, however, better late than never. I wish Criterion would have given this film a treatment, but one cannot get it all. For you who do not know this film should know it is right up there with Psycho (1960), but much more subtle and it has no serial killer.

Cheers,

DVD Smurf
Old 07-15-05, 06:53 PM

Yeah, I've been waiting for this one for a long time as well. Between this and the forthcoming Val Lewton and Bela Lugosi sets, this leaves just Blood and Roses and Island of Lost Souls on my horror wish list. (Well, there is also Night of the Eagle, aka Burn Witch Burn!, which I have in a crappy R2 edition, but I understand that MGM had this on the list for Midnight Movies before the Sony merger.)