Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Boring/ Annoying Audio Commentaries

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-07, 05:23 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 commentary is definitely one of the worst commentaries ever.
Old 12-22-07, 12:14 AM

"Austin Powers in The Spy Who Shagged Me". The commentary for the first movie wasn't bad at all, but with this one... Myers jokes about Roach being drunk, and it's not a joke, you can actually tell he's just shy of sloshed. But unfortunately, he's no Foster Brooks. Every time he begins to talk about something, he gets distracted, and Mike just eggs on his uselessness. But worst of all, the pair just give up 10 minutes before the film ends and stop talking.
Old 12-22-07, 12:00 PM

The Goonies takes the cake for worst commentary of all time. I didn't even watch the movie for years after listening to Mouth run his mouth.

For some reason Rob Zombie came across like a prick on the House of 1000 Corpses track, but was decent on Devils Rejects, even though he basically repeated everything that was on the 30 Days doc on the 2nd disc.
I have yet to listen to the one on the new Halloween.

For the most part I can get replay out commentary tracks only if Kevin Smith is involved. For the love of God, I even bought ROAD HOUSE because he did a track. The new Chainsaw II with Bill Moseley was awesome. As well as the previously mentioned Rules Of.. with Carrot Top.
Old 12-22-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Numes
First off - a GREAT site to evaluate commentaries and look at reviews, etc... They have a top 100 and bottom 50 list. I try to vote after every commentary I listen to:
http://www.ratethatcommentary.com/
Do you happen to know if that site is still actively being updated? Wanted to double check before contributing info as it looks like there are 500 new adds already pending and the last new title added was a month ago.
Old 12-22-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The worst commentary I ever heard was for Devlin's Godzilla. The Techie comm was absolutely mind numbingly boring.
Old 12-22-07, 04:00 PM

Any commentary with Garry Marshall makes me want to slit my wrists.
Old 12-22-07, 04:41 PM

One person's "bad" commentary can be another person's gold mine. Depends on what you want.

With that said, there is a commentary track on the wonderful new Blade Runner: Final Cut DVD that features Hampton Fancher, one of the two credits screenwriters. While the track is okay in general, Fancher is *REALLY* annoying.
Old 12-22-07, 10:05 PM
Cool New Member

Any Tim Burton commentary.
Old 12-23-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't listen to a commentary necessarily to learn about the making of the film, I just want it to be entertaining. I could listen to an interview where the creators of a film made jokes about one another, so I can listen to a commentary like that. If the commentary is entertaining for the length of the movie without too many dull spots, then that's fine with me.

So I liked all of the John Carpenter/Kurt Russell tracks, I liked the Donnie Darko track, I don't have a problem with McTiernan, I LOVE the Futurama commentaries, liked the Goonies track, and I really thought the Tom Green track on Freddy Got Fingered was hilarious. It was kind of like a retarded parody of a commentary and not really a commentary.

But I agree wholeheartedly with Friedkin being a terrible commentator. I listened to the track just over the big chase scene after seeing the film and was aggravated out of my mind listening to him tell me what was happening in the movie.
Old 12-23-07, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
But I agree wholeheartedly with Friedkin being a terrible commentator. I listened to the track just over the big chase scene after seeing the film and was aggravated out of my mind listening to him tell me what was happening in the movie.
Are you talking about French Connection?
I really like his commentary on To Live and Die in L.A.
Old 12-24-07, 09:31 AM

As I remember, the Resident Evil: Deluxe Edition commentary was quite bad. I remember Milla Jovovich cracking jokes all the time and talking about stupid crap that had nothing to do with the film.