DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Matrix Reloaded got bad dialog volume?

Old 10-16-03, 10:32 PM

Matrix Reloaded got bad dialog volume?

Is it just me, or does the Matrix Reloaded have really low center channel dialog? It's not my system as I tried other DVDs I got. The volume is nice and loud for ALL other sounds except for dialog.

IGN mentioned this in their review. It's not a big deal, but the dialog is just very very low volume.

Anyone else notice this?
Old 10-16-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, the disc sounds low, period! I just played the truck collision scene and was left unimpressed - it sounds flat. To double check, I put in Crimson Tide with the exact same settings (for those who have it, I watched the chapter when the torpedoes are fired) and it blew Reloaded away! It'd be really sad if a 5 year old DVD can outdo a new release!!

I hope this isn't an instance of rushing a product too fast to market and not doing a quality check on it. This would be a huge recall if that's the case.
Old 10-16-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sounds fine on the 5.1 system i have on my PC. In fact, i thought the sound was amazing after cranking up the volume.
Old 10-16-03, 10:51 PM

Is the dialogue low, or are the effects high? I know it's annoying if you are watching at night, or live in an apartment, but I think their whole point is that you should watch it LOUD.
Old 10-16-03, 11:00 PM

Dunno. The sound effects seem fine. The dialog is just WAY too low.

Recall worthy? Not really, but don't forget there will be a SE so...
Old 10-16-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was pretty unimpressed with the sound on the DVD as well. The motorcycle scene was the one that I noticed the most.

I'm still happy to have it but now I'm really hoping the box set is tweaked a bit.
Old 10-16-03, 11:18 PM

They are just setting us up for an extra special edition with EXPLOSIVE car chases!
Old 10-16-03, 11:27 PM

Hmmmmm...that's funny, all the website reviews said that the video and audio were great. Oh well, the more opinions, the better. Thanks.
Old 10-16-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Perhaps the idea is that you have to turn the volume up really high to get the correct dialogue volume, then, when an action scene rolls up... POW!

Old 10-16-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, the entire disc seems to have a lower than average volume level. Where as a +69 will be deafening on most discs, for this it was right at the lower limit of the comfort zone even during the most intense sequences.

If anything, I would say the audio lacked warmth, whatever that means. It's hard to describe.
Old 10-17-03, 12:32 AM

I just just watched it and the center channel dialog is pretty low for a recent release. Of course, if you put it loud enough even dialog that is spoken quietly or whispered is hearable but its just nicer when dialog is strong and clear. The directional effects are nicely done but I thought the front soundstage didn't sound as "open" or as "wide" as it should have been.
Old 10-17-03, 12:46 AM
Suspended

Maybe they should include a coupon for mail in hearing aid for the box set seeing how so many people have problem w/ Reloaded's dialogue.

I got no problem playing it w/ PDVD5 on my PC. Sounded pretty clear and loud to me w/ volume at normal lvl.
Old 10-17-03, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Maybe they should include a coupon for mail in hearing aid for the box set seeing how so many people have problem w/ Reloaded's dialogue.

I got no problem playing it w/ PDVD5 on my PC. Sounded pretty clear and loud to me w/ volume at normal lvl.

Yep, those of us who listen to DD/DTS tracks too loud are gonna have hearing problems.

I think we are comparing the Matrix Reloaded sound mix to other comparable releases. In the center channel dialog mix I'm just agreeing its lacking compared to other current mixes. Perhaps you're sitting closer to your speakers and that's why its easier for you to hear.

Also, is your computer connected to a Dolby Digital 5.1 sound system? The Dolby Digital 5.1 track is a seperate or different track than the default stereo track that goes to a non-surround system. The 2.0 track do not have low dialog problems. They are also not as dynamic (wide range).

Last edited by Ian11; 10-17-03 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-17-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't have much of a problem with the sound. It sounded a little low like a lot of you have said so I just turned up the volume a bit and it sounded fine, especially the freeway sequence. Nothing special, but still pretty good sound IMO.
Old 10-17-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by wordtoyamotha
Hmmmmm...that's funny, all the website reviews said that the video and audio were great. Oh well, the more opinions, the better. Thanks.
Well duh, you think all the big websites want to piss off a studio by slamming one of thier biggest releases of the year? Now, I'm not saying that the audio/video of this release isn't great (I don't own it), but over the years I've learned to take reviews of the big "event" type DVD releases with a grain of salt. They are almost unanimously GUSHING reviews, so in fact that many seem rather forced. Again, I'm not accusing any paticular website, but often with huge release if there's a problem you won't hear about it until the consumer gets the disc.
Old 10-17-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes the center audio is too low, or the SFX are too high....kinda sucks, but then again the movie does sound pretty good regardless.
Old 10-17-03, 10:14 AM
Suspended

Just turn up your center channel a little!
Old 10-17-03, 10:17 AM

Like I said before, I'll be waiting for the boxset, so that way, I might get a SE edition with maybe (just maybe) a DTS track!
Old 10-17-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Well duh, you think all the big websites want to piss off a studio by slamming one of thier biggest releases of the year? Now, I'm not saying that the audio/video of this release isn't great (I don't own it), but over the years I've learned to take reviews of the big "event" type DVD releases with a grain of salt. They are almost unanimously GUSHING reviews, so in fact that many seem rather forced. Again, I'm not accusing any paticular website, but often with huge release if there's a problem you won't hear about it until the consumer gets the disc.
Well in this case the "issue" was mentioned about the dialog being too low in a few reviews. And its true, you just need to turn up your system a bit and it sounds fine to me.
Old 10-17-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

All Warner DVD's sound like this...low dialog and high FX! Such a pain in the ass changing volume every other scene.
Old 10-17-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fumanstan
Well in this case the "issue" was mentioned about the dialog being too low in a few reviews. And its true, you just need to turn up your system a bit and it sounds fine to me.
Like I said I wasn't making accusitions, just generalizations.. I do remember though that people were mad about Leon: The Professional disc given excellent audio reviews when the disc came with missing LFE (disc later replaced because of this), and Phantom Menance given PERFECT video reviews at many sites with supposedly horrible EE issues (of which I never noticed myself).
Old 10-17-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I mentioned in another thread that my subwoofer was having a hard time dealing, and I did end up boosting the center channel for the dialog too. Weird mix.
Old 10-17-03, 03:25 PM
Suspended

Wasn't the center pretty low on the 1st Matrix too? Gonna check it out tonight and compare the two.
Old 10-17-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My friend has a regular TV (meaning no home theater system) and he was complaining that the sound effects were too loud and the dialogue was too soft. He lives in an apartment, so that's a big issue for him.
Old 10-17-03, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll jump on the bandwagon too. The dialogue is far too soft. I don't mind the sFX being really high, but it does get annoying and can be a pain living in an apartment.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.