Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Warriors DVD - DVD re-release ever?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-03, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The Warriors DVD

Do you guys think that Paramount might rerelease a newer version of the DVD with more extras? ---maybe to tie in with Rockstar's video game based on the movie. I was really disappointed with the current release but knowing Paramount they probably won't.

Info on the video game:

http://drs.yahoo.com/S=2766679/K=the..._2k3_d3/3.html

The Warriors

The Warriors is the next up for release alongside MP2 and Manhunt. The Warriors is based off of the 70's movie by Paramount in 1979 so for those wanting to get ahead on what the contents will reflect they can check out the movie. The game is set to be just as expansive as the city portrayed in the movie and will of course come with its fair selection of violent items to pick from. It's not a bad twist and yet even though one might think that the game wouldn't be all that bad they have to remember that The Warriors are a group of 9 from Coney Island and they are being hunted by a band of gang members that outnumber the cops 5-1. Violence wont be absent from the game nor will all of the other classic mayhem. I sense a sleeper in the works but only time will tell as more is told from Rockstar.
Old 07-17-03, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nah. They didn't even release The Italian Job to coincdie with the game... they're waiting for the remake's release.

I heard TW was also getting a remake... so we'll have to wait and see...
Old 07-17-03, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Warriors is a legitimate "cult" hit that deserves proper DVD treatment.
Old 07-17-03, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Caaaaaaaaaan yoooou diiiig it?
Old 07-21-03, 10:17 PM

I know for certain there's a little bit of extra footage that was used for the TV edit. (Dubbed it off TV back in the 80s!) One scene in particular, at the very beginning, involves Cleon talking to his girlfriend for a bit before going over to the Warriors to say, "It's still on..." Why they didn't throw this in on the DVD as an extra, I have no idea. (Damn, it was expensive too, glad I found it used!)

"Warriors... Come out to play..."

Last edited by Damage; 07-22-03 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-21-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
http://us.imdb.com/AlternateVersions?0080120

Alternate Versions for
Warriors, The (1979)

The TV version for the film adds approximately 6 mins of extra footage, including:

* A completely new introduction takes place at Coney Island. Here it starts showing a more indepth look at Cleon (the Warrior's leader), while his girlfriend warns him not to go to the Bronx for the meeting. It also shows Cleon introducing the 9 delegates chosen for the meeting (introduces the other Warrior members). They all then walk off (in the sunset so to speak) to the meeting while a surf song (later used in Pulp Fiction) plays. The scene abruptley cuts, suggesting that directly after this would have come the titles for the movie.

* Directly after the new introduction, it shows an abrupt (again) scene with Swan and Ajax in a subway terminal, where Ajax still goes on about the meeting being a setup and a waste of time. The way this was placed in the TV version, suggest that their was much more footage before this scene took place.

* After those two scenes occur (above) the movie then goes into the regular introduction used in the theatrical/video/dvd/laser versions. Immediately after this, we are shown new footage of the Warriors trying to find the meeting in the park, all the while Ajax (and a few others) still insisting it is a setup.

* Their is some extra footage during Cyrus's speech at the meeting. His speech goes on to talk about somethings that will try to hold you back if you fall into them (friends, courts, youthboard,etc)

* After the scene were the Grammercy Riff's second in command is being told by an associate that the Turnbull AC's "blew it". We are given new footage of the female Dj announcing on the air that the turnbull AC's failed to get the Warriors.

* After the Dj announces on the air that the BaseBall Furies failed ("they dropped the ball") We are then shown a new scene that shows one of the Riff's hanging up a telephone and reporting to the second in command that the " Police from the 96th station" failed to catch the Warriors. The second in command then ask "what about the Furies" to which is replied "they missed too". This scene was more then likely cut because it implies that somehow the Grammercy Riffs and the police are "connected" in someway.

* The next scene is edited differently then the other released versions: the theatrical/dvd/vhs/laser version for the scene in Union Square subway before the fight with the rollerskating gang, shows Swan talking with Mercy, then the rest of the Warriors coming down the steps (to meet Swan). Swan "eyes" out the other gang, and nods for the Warriors to head towards the bathroom and go inside (they show the rest of the Warrior gang go in). Next it shows Swan and Mercy Head towards the bathroom and Mercy saying how she cannot go in there, "it's a mens room". Vermin pulls her inside. The Tv version offers some extra footage and slightly differen't editing, and this changes the scene a little. After Swan gives the "eye" for the rest of the Warriors to head towards the bathroom, it shows the second small word exchange between Swan and Mercy (in the regular version this small exchange is shown after the Warriors go into the bathroom). Next it shows the rollerskating gang coming together (same as the regular version). BUT then we are given extra footage of Swan and Mercy meeting up with the other Warriors in front of the bathroom. It is here that they let Swan and the other Warriors know that they found out all of the other gangs think they killed Cyrus and how Ajax was arrested. It then shows more footage of the rollerskaitng gang slowly moving forward. Then this is where we see Swan nod for the Warriors to go into the bathroom (which is differen't and not the same "bathroom entering" scene shown in all other versions). It then goes to the same scene where Mercy complains she cannot go into a men's room. This scene should have been left in as it shows where (along the line) Swan finds out his gang is wanted by the Riffs. Although it was probably cut as it slows down the tension leading to the fight scene that occurs in the bathroom, seconds after.

* When the Rogues follow the Warriors by car in Coney Island, we see the Warriors run under a pier. Immediately we are shown an extra scene of the Warriors stopping under the pier and looking at the Rogue's car. Swan mentioned how they have one "bop" left to go. Vermin then suggest "how about we just run" and they show the Warriors start to run further under the pier. It then cuts back to the regular scene of the Warriors walking under the pier.

Last edited by inri222; 07-21-03 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-22-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
OK< I've posted this before. Here's a list of every single Paramont DVD ever to be re-released in an upgraded version:
Star Trek II
Star Trek III
Star Trek IV
The Hunt For Red October
Patriot Games
Clear and Present Danger

and maybe Apocalypse Now Redux, but that doesn't really count as it was a Miramax theatrical release and more like a different movie in another bare-bones package.

If it's not a franchise, it appears Paramount has no interest in revisiting their titles. Basically, they are bringing up the DVD rear (yet I still ended up re-buying all those dumb Star Trek titles )
Old 07-22-03, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree with Decker. If you're looking for a Paramount re-release, don't get your hopes up.
Old 07-22-03, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Paramounts did it.

They shot Cyrus.
Old 07-22-03, 08:04 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Since this movie is going to be re-made, there may be some hope for a re-issue of this DVD when that movie comes out.
Old 06-02-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Anyone have info on the collector's edition coming this October?
Old 06-02-05, 07:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
*Banging soda bottles together*

Paramount .... come out to play-ay

Paramount .... come out to (octave change) play-ay!

Old 07-21-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Cover for the DC coming out October 4th.

http://dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&...7109&n=1&burl=

There's already a pre order page on Amazon for $14 bucks. I'm sure it can be had for even cheaper.

Last edited by mrhan; 07-21-05 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-21-05, 10:13 PM

Wow it will be out in October! Great news
Old 07-24-05, 04:42 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Can't wait for this. One of my faves.
Old 07-24-05, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It feels like I've been waiting on this SE forever. Glad to finally have a release date.
Old 07-25-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
sweet. cover art isn't too bad. can't wait for this release
Old 07-25-05, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd hang on to the theatrical version just in case this new cut isn't as great

So I am not getting rid of my current dvd.
Old 07-25-05, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is it a new cut? Has that been confirmed? Personally, I really hope it's the theatrical cut with the extra scenes (specifically the extended opening sequence) included as a bonus feature. Or else both cuts via seamless branching. I don't like the longer opening nearly as much and it's much cooler with the whole thing taking place at night. They dropped the ball not using the killer poster art too (the one used on the soundtrack CD and old VHS copies).
Old 07-25-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from davisdvd

The Warriors

Paramount has sent us final specs for their The Warriors: Ultimate Director's Cut. The 1979 cult film arrives with a new 1.85 anamorphic transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 remix. Bonus materials will include an introduction by director Walter Hill, a deleted scene, four featurettes ("The Beginning" - novelist Sol Yurick, Hill and producers discuss the challenges of getting the film made at Paramount Pictures; "The Battleground" - Hill and cast members discuss casting and rehearsals; "The Way Home" - Hill and his producers discuss the making of the film, production design, cinematography, locations, costumes, stunts and editing; "The Phenomenon" - Hill and others discuss the reviews, the controversy, box office and how it became a cult classic). The set is rounded out with the original trailer and a look at Rockstar Games' The Warriors video game. All this for only $19.99.

Old 07-25-05, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It will be an all new cut of the film. Hill mentioned something about wanting it to be 'comic book' like in editing style(panels etc),but the studio would'nt let him at the time after seeing his planned cut. But he claims it will be the same film,but with some tweaks in the editing or something like that.

I severely doubt the theatrical version will be included since studios rare take advantage of that option. So I will be sticking with the original release just in case. I didn't like what I saw on the extended TV version aired on TNT. So I have some reservations about an all new edit of The Warriors.
Old 07-25-05, 03:27 PM

That sounds pretty cool. I could always just throw it in a 2-Disc case with the original DVD to preserve the theatrical cut in my collection, so it all works out. Too bad I already unloaded my old copy on Half, though, I'll probably have to go rebuy it now. I can't wait to check out those docs. From what I've read, the production was a very interesting one with everything from gang disturbances, public controversy, and even Tom Waites quitting mid-film causing the script to be rewritten to eliminate his character.
Old 07-25-05, 03:30 PM

i never did pick up the original, even though it was sub-$10 at a lot of places, so i'll definately pick this up. And if the MSRP is only $19.99 then it should be pretty cheap itself.
Old 07-25-05, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the release date. Keeping my current copy...for now at least.
Old 07-26-05, 12:52 AM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
The original theatrical cut DVD is now OOP and getting a little hard to find, so if you want a copy you should pick it up now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.