Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

2010 - multiple releases - which newer, better?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

2010 - multiple releases - which newer, better?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by laserdogg
Cool, another local!

Sadly I don't go to MHM Cinema much. The theater is an independent and I didn't care for the "ambiance" the last couple of times I was there.

I'll admit I haven't visited in a while as the only movies I can recall seeing there are (gasp) ConAir and Some Like It Hot. Seems the seats were a little old fashioned too.

Have they improved it much?
The seats aren't stadium style, but they're pretty comfy, and there really isn't a bad seat in the house. They've got THX sound, and a neat little Star Wars display in the lobby.

They're showing Pirates of the Carribbean right now, which I have yet to see, but plan to. Hopefully they'll have ROTK this winter, they got The Two Towers last Christmas.
Old 10-09-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
In the upcoming release artwork section of The Digital Bits, there's a 2010 release (with the old MGM artwork). Any idea if this is finally 16x9? Release date was supposedly 05 Oct.
Old 10-09-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Frank S
The stance of No Anamorphic=No Sale really does not have much meaning any more since all the studios are releasing their DVD's Anamorphically enhanced (sans the very few exceptions). Whenever Warner re-releases 2010 it is a given it will be Anamorphic! Boycotting this disc will not push forward a re-release but may in fact delay it if sales of the first DVD are so low that they deem it not worth the trouble of re-releasing. I would prefer Warner concentrate on releasing films not out at all first and then release titles like 2010 when they have time.

If you a a fan of the film do yourself a favor and buy the current release (which goes for next to nothing) and enjoy the film until the studio re-releases it.
Basically your logic is analogous to:

Restaurant A made a second rate soup today. You really love that variety of soup and when someone else asks whether they should order it you say to them "please do - it not really good but if we don't support this soup they may decide to never put it back on the menu."
Old 10-10-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
You know, this is why people don't use the search function to pull up old threads. That or my posts are in "inviso-mode" again.
Old 10-10-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Well, I was just hoping someone would chime in since I have no idea. It'd be nice if they finally re-released it in 16x9 since I'm getting a widescreen TV next week.
Old 10-10-04, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Well, I do subscribe to this attitude... 2010 should be issued again with a nice new 16X9 transfer. The current disc is suck. $5.88 or not, it is suck. Sure, I'd like to have 2010 in the collection, but I'm with highdef here 100%... No 16X9 transfer = no sale. A letterboxed transfer may be OK if you still have a 4X3 set, but for those of us with HDTVs it is completely unacceptable. Yeah, yeah, I know what you're going to say... "but it's better than not having it all! and I'm a film collector/lover!"... Hey, whatever makes you happy, doesn't change the fact that the MGM and WB DVDs of this title are suck. Suck is suck and this disc is suck.

And yes, I do own letterboxed films, but I haven't picked one up since the day I bought my 16X9... That was over a year ago... If the studios would re-issue Psycho, Vertigo, etc with new 16X9 transfers, I would upgrade in a heartbeat.
I don't usually do this, but I'm just flabbergasted by the number of times the word, "suck" appears in this post...not to mention the grammar used while doing it...well, sucks.

Let's see...some examples:
1) "The current disc is suck." -- Should be "The current disc sucks."

2) "$5.88 or not, it is suck." -- Should be "$5.88 or not, it still sucks."

3) "doesn't change the fact that the MGM and WB DVDs of this title are suck." -- Should be "doesn't change the fact that the MGM and WB DVDs of this title suck."

and finally,
4) "Suck is suck and this disc is suck." -- Should be "Suck is suck and this disc sucks.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 10-10-04 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-10-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Maybe what the kids are using is the latest version of a very similar noun/verb/adjective/adver/proposition/preposition/conjunction/interjection/plural/singular/definite-indefinite article/first-second-third-person word.
Old 10-10-04, 09:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Bill Needle
Maybe what the kids are using is the latest version of a very similar noun/verb/adjective/adver/proposition/preposition/conjunction/interjection/plural/singular/definite-indefinite article/first-second-third-person word.
*slaps fore-head*
You're right! Damn, why didn't I think of that? Stupid me...
Old 10-11-04, 12:09 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are they going to re-release SE of these movies?
Old 10-11-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
From mid-August tDB:

"By the way, we know that Warner Bros is quietly working on a 2-disc 2001: A Space Odyssey - Special Edition for release at some point in the future. Consider that Rumor Mill-worthy, but it's more good news for Kubrick fans." Supposedly it's meant for December.

I haven't heard anything on 2010.