Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the best version of Birth of a Nation?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-06-03, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of different versions of this film. Which is the best? I noticed Kino has a two disc version. Were there any Laserdiscs that had a better version than any of the current DVDs?
Old 02-06-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The best version of Birth of a Nation is the video restoration that was done by David Shepard. It was released on DVD originally by Image:

The new Kino 2-disc edition is the same restoration, but includes more extras/shorts:

The Kino is the way to go with this title (although the Image edition is fine too if you find it cheaper). There are no LDs that improve upon these 2 DVD editions.
Old 02-06-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree go with Kino.
Old 02-06-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...fwiw here is a brief review of the image DVD...

. . . . . .
Old 02-07-03, 06:45 PM
Banned

Thank you all very much guys.
Old 02-07-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the best version by far is the twikoff version.

Looks better, sounds better, and all the extras rock.
Old 02-07-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd recommend the Kino edition as well... and if that's the direction you're going, check out Kino's Griffith Masterworks boxed set. It includes four features (The Birth of a Nation, Intolerance, Broken Blossoms & Orphans of the Storm) and a two-disc collection of Griffith Biograph shorts. (It should also be noted that some addition shorts are found on the feature film DVDs.) The Kino box lists for $100 (vs. $30 for Birth of a Nation alone), but can be found online for a lot less. (Some of us were able to get it last month at FYE.com for around $50 using a 20% off coupon that has since expired.)
Old 02-07-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pants, very good thread, I have been considering snagging a version of this classic DVD for a while now. And thanks to all who chimed in too, I think I might just go for the Masterworks box set m'self...

-Gunshy
Old 02-10-03, 12:40 PM
Banned

Thanks Rev, I had no idea there was a box set of all those films. DO the Intolerance and Broken Blossoms discs have the same features and transfer at the stand alone releases?
Old 02-10-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pants
Thanks Rev, I had no idea there was a box set of all those films. DO the Intolerance and Broken Blossoms discs have the same features and transfer as the stand alone releases?
The Boxed set is made up of the five Kino stand alone releases... same keep cases packed in a cardboard box. You simply save a lot of money buying them in the set, rather than individually. Kino's website http://www.kino.com/ offers pretty good descriptions of each feature, if you're interested. (If you're using DVD Profiler to track your collection, I've uploaded the same information there as well...unless some idiot "updater" has erased it again!)
Old 02-10-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
DO the Intolerance and Broken Blossoms discs have the same features and transfer at the stand alone releases?
The Broken Blossoms disc is IDENTICAL to the Kino release that came out in early 2001... just with a new cover to match the others.

Intolerance is, in my opinion, an small improvement over the Image Entertainment disc. The transfer is similar (not radically better, not radically worse), but is a longer cut of the film with some restored footage. It also includes an introduction from Orson Welles (from a PBS series in the 1970s) and excerpts from other silent films.
Old 02-11-03, 10:20 AM

Intolerable 'Intolerance'

Slightly off subject but along with the new 'Kino' version of 'Birth' I also aquired 'Intolerance', released in the same 'Griffith Masterworks Collection'. I was really looking forward to this one and was shocked when I discovered that the newly composed 'STEREO' music track is missing all right channel information. The title screen, menus and extras all have full stereo music accompaniment but the movie proper has sound in the left channel only.

Anyone else have this problem? I emailed 'Kino' and they have ignored my inquiry.

Last edited by johnf14; 02-19-03 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-13-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Intolerable 'Intolerance'

Originally posted by johnf14
Slightly off subject but along with the new 'Kino' version of 'Birth' I also aquired 'Intolerance', released in the same 'Griffith Masterworks Collection'. I was really looking forward to this one and was shocked when I discovered that the newly composed 'STEREO' music track is missing all left channel information. The title screen, menus and extras all have full stereo music accompaniment but the movie proper has sound in the right channel only.

Anyone else have this problem? I emailed 'Kino' and they have ignored my inquiry.
I just checked my copy (UPC 738329026721) and I am getting sound from both left and right speakers (I only have a stereo setup, no surround sound...maybe that's the issue you're having.)
Old 02-19-03, 04:07 PM

Yup! Thats it! The digital output is missing right channel information. If your using the analog stereo outs on you player there is no problem. Only the digital output is affected.

I returned my first copy for a replacement and it is in the same condition. Kino continues to ignore my emails.

Last edited by johnf14; 02-19-03 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-19-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My setup uses a digital optical cable to connect the DVD player to the receiver, and I also get no sound from the right speaker during the film.

DJ
Old 02-21-03, 11:24 AM

This email arrived from Kino this morning.......

Mr. Kelley, we had a defective run of INTOLERANCE discs, though the problem was recently corrected.

Did you purchase this title directly through Kino? If yes, please return
the disc with a copy of your receipt and we'll get you a replacement.

Thank you for your understanding!
--
N. Mulligan, Consumer Video Sales
http://www.kino.com/

Problem confirmed!
Old 02-21-03, 12:54 PM
Banned

Is there anyway to identify the corrected discs from the packaging?
Old 01-18-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pants
Is there anyway to identify the corrected discs from the packaging?
bump because this is the first i have heard about it, and wanted to know if their is a way to tell what versions of the disc are out