Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What "wierd" thing do you do with your DVDs that makes others say "huh?"

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-03, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by gutwrencher
EXACTLY!! at last I agree with someone on the organization of a collection. besides, if mine WERE alphabetical....it would look like crap. at least thats the case with a large collection.
Mixing Keepcases and snappers together and you say "at least thats the case with a large collection"

Well, I don't think anyone out there organizes the way I do, at first, I organize by studio (sounds fairly normal, but here's where I am unique) I then organize each studio DVD by spine color...Seriously, I'll even be so compulsive that I'll put a bunch of white spines together, then I'll put a bunch of blue spines together, then I'll put my "sky/light blue" spines inbetween...sort of like a blend.

Also, I keep the colored tops of the Universal titles arranged according to color (i.e. all the gold bands together)

Does anyone else do this? Please don't tell me I'm alone???
Old 01-13-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by milo bloom

One thing I do which some might find odd is turn a few select titles so the face "faces" out. I have things like my Akira tin set, and my Absolutely Fabulous box facing out like this. It really shows off some of my neater titles.
Hey, I do that too! Here's a pic a posted a few days ago. For a while, the four that were on top were the ones that I had facing forward, but I ran out of room, so I upgraded them to the top of the shelve, and moved four more to forward facing position. I make it a point to have one forward-facing DVD per shelf. Yes, I am odd.

Old 01-13-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seriously, I'll even be so compulsive that I'll put a bunch of white spines together, then I'll put a bunch of blue spines together, then I'll put my "sky/light blue" spines inbetween...sort of like a blend.
sounds like one of those electric-koolaid flashbacks! always did like to blend things.

hey, it seems we have our own little system working good. it's cool to see how everyone organizes the collection.
Old 01-13-03, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by caiman
Hey, I do that too! Here's a pic a posted a few days ago. For a while, the four that were on top were the ones that I had facing forward, but I ran out of room, so I upgraded them to the top of the shelve, and moved four more to forward facing position. I make it a point to have one forward-facing DVD per shelf. Yes, I am odd.

nice, clean and neat. looks good as does your titles. that new Mystery Science Theater 3k Box would look good in there too.
Old 01-13-03, 11:53 PM

I organize them by studio and in no other specific order.

Whenever I buy a DVD in a B&M, I always check to see if the cover-art is crooked or too high or too low(which would make it stuck under the security tape, in turn would tear the color off). I always look for dents or creases in the keepcase. And I never buy the one that is in front of a stack because god knows how many people have handled it.
Old 01-13-03, 11:53 PM

besides, if mine WERE alphabetical....it would look like crap. at least thats the case with a large collection.
I toyed with a few different methods early on, but once my collections started to grow, alpha seemed the only way to go and it works well for me, and I don't think it looks like crap:

Of course, this picture is about 9 months old, so my collection is a bit larger now <g>. I loan them out to my friends freely and have never had one damaged. I wouldn't loan them out if I didn't trust them to treat them well. I do remove the anti-theft tags that are easy to remove, but admit I didn't realize that snappers came apart. I just tried it on my copy of "A Christmas Story" that was returned to me today. Cool! Not sure that I'll ever have a reason to do it again though.

Last edited by Sinjin; 01-14-03 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-14-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by milo bloom
One thing I do which some might find odd is turn a few select titles so the face "faces" out.
That's a good idea. Kind of like how stores do it to highlight certain titles. What would you put behind the case to push it out so it's even with the edges of the other discs on the shelf? I wouldn't want to face it out while it's flat against the back of the bookshelf.

If only I had the room to display some good titles (facing it out takes up about 9-10) slots.
Old 01-14-03, 12:10 AM

works well for me, and I don't think it looks like crap:

nope...yours looks great. love those shelves. but MINE would look like crap.
Old 01-14-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by spankasmurf
I do naughty things with the hole in the middle.
After reading this I was laughin' like crazy. I can see why you picked your screenname now.
Old 01-14-03, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by PortlandFilmGuy
Autobiographical.

Yep, I can tell you how I got from American Beauty to The Royal Tenenbaums in 25 moves. And, if I want to find the movie Creepshow I have to remember that I bought it for somebody in the fall of 1983 pile, but didn't give it to them for personal reasons.
THANK YOU!!!

I can't believe it took a page and a half for that to show up.

That and the tea party comment keeps my faith in the members of this forum.

British Comedies
American TV shows
Cartoons
Disney
Kevin Smith
the rest alphabetical.
Old 01-14-03, 12:51 AM

nope...yours looks great. love those shelves. but MINE would look like crap.
Yeah, I was REAL lucky to move into this house which had the perfect built in DVD shelves! Like you said, basically people should do what ever they like and works for them.
Old 01-14-03, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by PortlandFilmGuy

Yep, I can tell you how I got from American Beauty to The Royal Tenenbaums in 25 moves. And, if I want to find the movie Creepshow I have to remember that I bought it for somebody in the fall of 1983 pile, but didn't give it to them for personal reasons.

Originally posted by Mexican Menace
THANK YOU!!!

I can't believe it took a page and a half for that to show up.

That and the tea party comment keeps my faith in the members of this forum.

British Comedies
American TV shows
Cartoons
Disney
Kevin Smith
the rest alphabetical.
it would have been better if this was not said in the other "how do you sort" threads. but awesome choice of titles to use i must say.

Last edited by WiccanPagan; 01-14-03 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-14-03, 01:06 AM

I take about 10 minutes to pick out the best one on the shelf, and if there is no perfect one, I wont buy it. There can't be even the slightest mark, case wrinkle ect ect.
Then you must about 4 DVDs in your collection (unless, like me, you have a warehouse of stored-up extra Amarays on hand). Because I've found that 97.8% of the time, there will be some sort of case defect for we anal-ites to worry about. Hence....extra cases are a MUST!

Even poring over each would-be purchase for XX minutes in the store isn't good enough. Because the shrinkwrap hides case defects to a degree. And it's not till you unwrap it that you see them.
Old 01-14-03, 01:10 AM

I organize mine by UPC code. Makes movies MUCH easier to find.

An even better method of arrangement is the guy who places them in alphabetical order by the "Transportation Captain's" last names.

Last edited by davidvp; 01-14-03 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-14-03, 01:15 AM

The best part is when you return a bad one you put it in the worst case you have and keep the good one.
Glad to see I'm not alone in doing this.
Siberian H.: you surely MUST keep extra empty Amarays on hand, right? If not, the kind of DVD-case-a-phobia that you & I suffer from must be unbearable!!

Last edited by davidvp; 01-14-03 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-14-03, 01:29 AM

After watching a movie, I twist the discs around so that the label/title on the disc is straight. ... It's a nice way to find out when someone's been messing with your discs (they'll put them back in not aligned).
But this won't work with well over 60% of single-disc DVD titles, what with all those being housed in "free-floating-hub" Amarays. So, the disc is going to spin at will with even the slightest bit of handling.
Old 01-14-03, 01:38 AM

My case phobia is unbearable "LOL" Oh and I have plenty of cases around to calm my OCD and my anal-ness. Damn that security tape!
Old 01-14-03, 02:03 AM
Banned

I used to have them in alpha. order by keepcases, and snappers, then boxsets, tv shows, etc.

But since I've started rating my movies I now put them in order of the grade.

I guess I'm the first and only one to do this?!?

I just got my 1,500th DVD yesterday!
Old 01-14-03, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Sinjin
I toyed with a few different methods early on, but once my collections started to grow, alpha seemed the only way to go and it works well for me, and I don't think it looks like crap
I used to do alphabetical, but I found it was annoying to shift everything around when fitting in new titles. Considering how big your collection is, isn't it a pain to move Every DVD over to fit in a new one?
Old 01-14-03, 09:14 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I organize mine by smell. j/k. actually the bulk of my collection (214) is organized by filmmaker (from Altman to Woo) and by year of release for each filmmaker (Blood Simple to Oh Brother...). I've got the James Bond films in their own category in order of release as well as the first six Star Trek films. Finally, I have a miscellaneous collection (36) in alphabetical order (Austin Powers to Young Guns) for the titles by filmmakers "unworthy" of their own section.
Old 01-14-03, 09:18 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What "wierd" thing do you do with your DVDs that makes others say "huh?"
I enjoy sharing my dvd collection which really helps justify $$$ its existence. I lend my dvds to family, friends and neighbors. At any given time, I could have as many as 15+ dvds lent out.

When I lend my dvds out, I put them in zip lock bags. If the person I'm lending them to gives me a strange look/hard time, I snatch the bag away from them and tell them to go to blockbuster. If the dvd gets return with a "bad" scratch or messed up case, they have the option of buying the dvd or getting thier free rental membership revoked permanently.

I used to record the persons name and date on an index card and use it as a place holder on my dvd rack. I've since become less anal and use dvd profiler to track what/who I lend to.

Last edited by dgc; 01-14-03 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-14-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by SCHMEGGA
My wife was just asking me this morning why I was removing the "antitheft thingy" from all of my new DVDs. Surely everyone does this right???

*raises hand, lowers head*

I too am an "antitheft thingy" remover. I have been removing them since 2000 and I can't stop myself.

DV
Old 01-14-03, 10:03 AM

I clip magazine articles, reviews and other clippings related to the movie and store them in the case
Old 01-14-03, 11:04 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

yes, removing the anti-theft device is part of the "ritual" of opening a new dvd.
Old 01-14-03, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by cygnet74
yes, removing the anti-theft device is part of the "ritual" of opening a new dvd.
Definately. It is so satisfying isn't it? Although I must admit it is a bit embarrising, I have a tendency to place them on my shirt absent mindedly and forget about them

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.