Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Steven Lisberger? -- Good job with Tron -- How 'bout Animalympics?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-11-03, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before he directed Tron, Steve worked on an animated movie called Animalympics. I've tried googling up a site where I could drop an email to ask about a possible DVD release, but he doesn't seem to have one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 01-11-03, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I remember watching the never-ending reruns of Animalympics they used to show on Showtime back in the early 80's. I'd love to get this on DVD, my kids would seriously enjoy it.
Old 01-11-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I used to see it on HBO constantly [back when it was new]. One of my favourite childhood movies. I've just about worn out my ::shudder:: VHS [oh, I feel so dirty] copy and don't have the equipment to put it on DVD-R or even SVCD, so i'd really love to get in touch with him [or anyone in the know] and find out the possibilities of this being released.

I would approach this with my usual optimistic pessimist way of thinking and say it'll never come out, but another of my childhood favourites [constantly shown on HBO too] was recently released, so I have hope.
Old 01-14-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Bueller...? Bueller...?
Old 01-14-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who distrubutes that one? WB did at one time didnt they?! I havent seen it since the 80;s and I loved it as a kid... I would definetly pick up a copy if they did it! Maybe Anchor Bay should get their hands on it and do a 2 disc set!
Old 01-14-03, 05:42 PM

I LOVED that cartoon! The Barbara Walters Bird!

I used to love that song: "No that we've made it, we've made it to the top. Now that we've made it, we ain't never gonna stop!"

Sweet! Put me down for wanting this on DVD!!!!!!
Old 01-14-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Anchor Bay 2 disc set....ahhhh, to dream.

The soundtrack was is great. It was done by Graham Gouldman who was in the group 10cc ["I'm Not In Love"]. Perhaps it'd be easier to get in touch with Harry Shearer or Billy Crystal. I'm sure they have websites...
Old 01-14-03, 11:19 PM

The VHS at Amazon UK says "Live Commentary from Billy Crystal". That'd be SWEET on DVD!!!!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...404908-5369456
Old 01-15-03, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hmmm...

Audio commentary on a VHS? Has that ever been done before? Perhaps that's the Brits sly way of selling it with Billy Crystal?
Old 01-15-03, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Rogue588
Hmmm...

Audio commentary on a VHS? Has that ever been done before? Perhaps that's the Brits sly way of selling it with Billy Crystal?
Actually, after I posted this last night I started thinking...I forget what voice Billy Crystal does, but was he the announcer (the turtle?) maybe this is a marketing ploy to make you think (as I did) that there is actually running commentary when they really mean the 'commentator' in the movie is Billy Crystal?

another Hmmmm????
Old 01-16-03, 03:48 AM

Originally posted by DarthMarklar
Actually, after I posted this last night I started thinking...I forget what voice Billy Crystal does, but was he the announcer (the turtle?)
According to the IMDB, yeah. Gilda Radner was also in it.
Old 01-16-03, 10:46 AM

I further the motion for Anchor Bay. They know how to give a not so main stream movie the royal treatment. I would love to have a copy of this.
Old 12-15-04, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thought i'd bump this to see if anyone's heard anything..

Anyone?
Old 01-22-08, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Thought i'd bump this to see if anyone's heard anything..

Anyone?
Yep, its been released in Germany. I've seen it for sale on this site - search for 'Die Dschungel-Olympiade'. Has English audio as well as German, I think. That does mean its Region 2, of course.

I've been searching a long time for that too, hence why I'm necroing this rather old thread, in case the guy is still looking.