Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warner to finally release the jazz singer fully restored (no date yet)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from alt.movie.silent
"warner Home Video is now completing work on a DVD release of "The Jazz Singer," which will present a restored and much improved soundtrack, "direct-from-disc", as it were. The version that's been circulating for decades is actually an early 1930's sound-on-film print. Now, digital technology has significantly improved the sound quality by working directly from a set of the original Vitaphone discs, which were provided by John Newton of "The Vitaphone Project," and UCLA. The DVD will also include (posters, programmes, etc.,) Intermission music, and several still to be determined short subjects... although Jolson's
"A Plantation Act" (1926) and the trailer for "The Jazz Singer," are definite as of this writing."

i wonder how they can restore this movie to its original quality since the current version they show on tcm looks really bad (bunch of scratches, and lots of hisses and pops in the soundtrack) hopefully this will look as good as citizen kane and singin in the rain.
Old 04-29-05, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God, It's about time. I'm glad I didn't try to hunt down the OOP version.
Old 04-29-05, 09:05 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Crap, I was hoping this would be the Neil Diamond version.
Old 04-29-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they had been reporting a remaster since about 2 years back...can't wait to see this on dvd. Warner did a great job with the Chaney and Keaton silent sets. I hope the jazz singer is as loaded as that. I wish warner would send some more silent films out. Champagne comes to mind...
Old 04-29-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
they had been reporting a remaster since about 2 years back...can't wait to see this on dvd. Warner did a great job with the Chaney and Keaton silent sets. I hope the jazz singer is as loaded as that. I wish warner would send some more silent films out. Champagne comes to mind...
Warner doesn't own Champagne. It's public domain in the U.S., but I think either CanalPlus or Carlton owns it in Europe. Also, they only own 8 Alfred Hitchcock films. They distribute only one other for Castle Hill (Foreign Correspondent). All 9 films showed up in their Hitchcock box set.

The only silents Warner Bros. owns are the surviving Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and Warner Bros. films... with a few exceptions. While it's in the public domain, they technically hold the rights to the first Paramount film: The Squaw Man.
Old 04-29-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But Ted Turner has a remastered print...from another thread

Originally Posted by Cameron
Champagne has been restored and Turner was supposed to show it, but when it arrived it had no soundtrack. They were supposed to record one but it has yet to air, that was some time back. (there was a thread I cannot find now, please link if you have it.) So Warner Brothers could do a nice silent set like they did with Chaney/Keaton...would love to see that.

some other silent news going on in

Hitchcock's LIFEBOAT coming to DVD!

Early Hitchcock
Old 04-29-05, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's hoping we get a Jolson Signature collection, with the Singing Fool, The Singing Kidd, Jazz Singer and a couple of other films in there.

One of the greatest entertainers of the 20th century seriously needs some DVD loving.
Old 04-29-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Groucho
That's what I thought this was too..
Old 04-29-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by MontyPythonFan
I wonder what the hell is taking Warner so damn long.
Probably trying to find "acceptable" cover-art for it.
Old 04-29-05, 04:09 PM

HURRAY! Warner is DVD MASTER. The Jazz Singer is a historic movie. First to use synchronized sound, it's mentioned in lots of classic movies (from Singin' in the Rain to Goodfellas). It would be great to see this finally on DVD. Curious to hear the soundtrack.
Old 04-29-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie_Chaplin
HURRAY! Warner is DVD MASTER. The Jazz Singer is a historic movie. First to use synchronized sound, it's mentioned in lots of classic movies (from Singin' in the Rain to Goodfellas). It would be great to see this finally on DVD. Curious to hear the soundtrack.
I'll be picking it up for those reasons alone. If it turns out to be a decent movie then that's just icing on the cake.
Old 04-29-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
If it turns out to be a decent movie then that's just icing on the cake.
The last time I saw this movie was back in '95 when TCM had a Jolson marathon. My TV guide gave Mammy 4 stars and Jazz Singer only 2, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had those ratings mixed up because Mammy turned out to be dreadfully inferior.

Keep in mind that the movie isn't entirely in sound. Just the musical sequences.
Old 12-22-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from barrie maxwell

In other news, it appears that Warners may now be targeting 2007 for its release of The Jazz Singer, which would mark it as an 80th anniversary release. The release would also showcase an appreciable amount of Vitaphone material including the surviving footage from Gold Diggers of Broadway (1929).
Old 12-23-05, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A few things...

The Jazz Singer is not the first film to have synchronized sound at all. Not even dialogue or singing. It was simply the most popular at the time. Don't forget that Vitaphone was being used a full year earlier on shorts and a few features for music/effects (like Don Juan).

Also, The Jazz Singer is a pretty bad movie except when Jolson is singing. It would have been a great film if they threw out the plot and just edited together the musical sequences.

It's still worth seeing. It's somewhat important, but it's overrated often.
Old 02-18-06, 09:52 PM
Banned

IT'S ABOUT FUCKING TIME!

I've been waiting so long for a DVD of "The Jazz Singer". I've even started a petition to get it released on DVD:
http://www.petitiononline.com/JazzDVD/petition.html

(Note: I got the title and year of the short film mentioned in the text wrong: When I referred to "Mammy's Boy," I was actually thinking of "A Plantation Act." "Mammy's Boy" is an unfinished silent film with Jolson Ah, I'm such a putz for not reading Jolson's IMDb listing carefully)

I sure hope the Jazz Singer special edition gets released. It's a classic.

Last edited by thing-fish24; 02-18-06 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-18-06, 09:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
The Jazz Singer is not the first film to have synchronized sound at all.
It's the first FEATURE FILM with synchronized sound.

Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
Also, The Jazz Singer is a pretty bad movie except when Jolson is singing. It would have been a great film if they threw out the plot and just edited together the musical sequences.
NO, it's one of the best movies ever made. The plot is great. "The Jazz Singer" is a GREAT MOVIE, peroid.
Old 02-18-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by thing-fish24

NO, it's one of the best movies ever made. The plot is great. "The Jazz Singer" is a GREAT MOVIE, peroid.
Any chance you could be wrong?
Old 02-19-06, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Any chance you could be wrong?
I also think it's one of the best movies ever made. I have a VHS I recorded from TCM which I still watch at least twice a year, I have a hardcover book of the script, and a two-record (vinyl) set of the original soundtrack. As for the Neil Diamond fiasco, they couldn't PAY ME to watch it again!

/just sayin'
Old 02-20-06, 03:18 PM

Untrue! The first feature film with synchronized sound was the 1926 John Barrymore swashbuckler Don Juan, which incidentally was directed by Alan Crosland (who also helmed The Jazz Singer). What you probably mean is that The Jazz Singer was the first feature film to use synchronized sound for dialogue. (Don Juan only had a synchronized musical score and effects track.)

BTW, I personally find The Jazz Singer to be a saccharin, overly melodramatic mess. Its story was already trite in 1927, and Samson Raphaelson, who wrote the original play and went on to great success as a scriptwriter for Ernst Lubitsch in his own right, considered the movie to be an embarrassment.
Old 02-20-06, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ambassador
I personally find The Jazz Singer to be a saccharin, overly melodramatic mess.
That's your opinion. Most others consider it to be a classic.

Its story was already trite in 1927
"The Jazz Singer" isn't "trite"! The story is beautiful!

and Samson Raphaelson, who wrote the original play and went on to great success as a scriptwriter for Ernst Lubitsch in his own right, considered the movie to be an embarrassment.
Do you have any proof of this? And if so, who cares what he thinks? The movie was still a success, and was widely celebrated by critics and viewers alike. It's a classic, and it will always be a classic.
Old 02-20-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Albert71292
I also think it's one of the best movies ever made. I have a VHS I recorded from TCM which I still watch at least twice a year, I have a hardcover book of the script, and a two-record (vinyl) set of the original soundtrack. As for the Neil Diamond fiasco, they couldn't PAY ME to watch it again!

/just sayin'
That's a better attitude. The other dude was like "this is the best movie of all time, period, I'm right, you're wrong, so suck it.".
Old 02-20-06, 11:33 PM

That's your opinion. Most others consider it to be a classic.
Hence why I used the key word "personally" in my post, though I'm not sure that I'd agree with your assertion that "most others consider it to be a classic" as if it were objective fact. For instance, Leonard Maltin refers to it as "creaky."

"The Jazz Singer" isn't "trite"! The story is beautiful!
What was that about opinion again?

Do you have any proof of this? And if so, who cares what he thinks? The movie was still a success, and was widely celebrated by critics and viewers alike. It's a classic, and it will always be a classic.
I do have proof. Just watch the 30-minute PBS show Creativity with Bill Moyers: A Portrait of Samson Raphaelson, which is included as an extra on Criterion's release of Heaven Can Wait; Raphaelson clearly states that he was still embarrassed by the film in 1982!

Who cares what he thinks? Well, I'm willing to grant some measure of respect to an original author's opinion of a film adaptation. It isn't necessarily definitive, but it carries the weight of authorial intention.

And do all classics necessarily always remain classics? Well, why don't you watch the first few Oscar winners for Best Picture and get back to me. If you can stay awake through a marathon run of Wings, The Broadway Melody, Cimarron, and Cavalcade, that is....

Jeez! I don't understand why some people take it so personally when you dislike a movie they like. It's not like I'm profaning a sacred text or anything like that.
Old 02-21-06, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho

But the Neil Diamond version has already been released twice. The most recent version came out a few months ago as a "25th Anniversary Edition"

There is another version with Danny Thomas and Peggy Lee from 1952 that hasn't been released on DVD yet.
Old 02-22-06, 11:05 PM
Banned

"The Jazz Singer" without Jolson is like the Mona Lisa without color: it just doesn't work.
Old 02-25-06, 10:56 PM

well,it appears that the long wait is over. BUT WHEN WILL WE BE FINALLY ABLE TO BUY AND HAVE A COPY OF THE DVD OF THIS CLASSIC AND VERY IMPORTANT MOVIE,MAYBE THIS LATE 2006?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.