Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Review Wanted: South Park First Season vs. Original Rhino Versions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-02, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review Wanted: South Park First Season vs. Original Rhino Versions

Anyone able to compare this new set with the originals? Is the video quality really worse with this new set (it wasn't that great to begin with). Are the audio pops that plagued the first two Rhino discs really still present in this new set?

I know a lot of people got this one so let's hear it!

TIA!
Old 11-24-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can only tell you how enjoyable I am finding the current set. It is packaged wonderfully and the discs themselves are cool looking.
The sound issues are present as mentioned in other threads but they are episode specific and really unnoticable on my system for the most part. The episodes look wonderful with vibrant colors and sharp definition, better than they did broadcast for sure.
Overall a great purchase for someone who appreciates the wonderful bent humor of SP and its creators. The intros are a great bonus and the promo spots feel precusory. The meat is in the commentaries here and make the set a must buy.
Old 11-26-02, 12:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have to agree with Apocrypha. This is a great set. Too bad the commentary isn't on the disc, but at least it is available (hope to get mine soon). The intros alone are worth the purchase!!!
Old 11-26-02, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Review Wanted: South Park First Season vs. Original Rhino Versions

Originally posted by porieux
Are the audio pops that plagued the first two Rhino discs really still present in this new set?

The audio pops are still there. I've only watched the first 3 episodes but all them had the annoying pops.
Old 11-26-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The sound guys who are in the background chuckling make the commentary all the richer, Trey is breaking them up constantly.
Comedy Central is to be commended (I suppose) for helping the commentaries see light because they take alot of shots.
Old 11-26-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You'll probably get more comparison responses if I do this...

Moving to DVD Talk Forum.

- David Stein
Old 11-27-02, 04:03 AM

Re: Re: Review Wanted: South Park First Season vs. Original Rhino Versions

Originally posted by D-Ball
The audio pops are still there. I've only watched the first 3 episodes but all them had the annoying pops.
Wow, I'm amazed that they didn't fix those

I have the new set as well as the old Rhino's; trying to decide if I should open the new set and sell the old ones or sell the new set.

Any comparisons on the video quality differences?
Old 11-27-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, i notice little things on the first disc that aren't apparent on the other discs. On the first discs, the episodes have a slight slight, hrm, how to say this, isn't as clear as it should be. You can see small artifacts in some places, sometimes the lines between the eyes get a lil' blurry, and in the Big Gay Al episode....especially in the disco scene...there's artifacts everywhere! although the rest of the episodes other than the first disc are beautiful...cept for those pops
Old 11-27-02, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by mzupeman2
Well, i notice little things on the first disc that aren't apparent on the other discs. On the first discs, the episodes have a slight slight, hrm, how to say this, isn't as clear as it should be. You can see small artifacts in some places, sometimes the lines between the eyes get a lil' blurry, and in the Big Gay Al episode....especially in the disco scene...there's artifacts everywhere! although the rest of the episodes other than the first disc are beautiful...cept for those pops
So the audio pops are on more than just the first disc? This set is sounding like a big dissapointment.

And to think, I was so excited when I heard they were finally going to do these 'right'. Oh well...

Thanks!
Old 11-28-02, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, youll still get pops after the first disc, but the quality of transfer improves after the first disc
Old 11-30-02, 01:55 AM

I sure hope they get their act together for the following seasons at least
Old 11-30-02, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i thought those wierd poping sounds was a problem with my speakers??
Old 12-08-04, 03:23 PM

I know this thread is 2 years old, but I just bought this on black friday and starting watching disc 1 today. I can't see myself ever watching this again. This transfer is BULLSHIT. I wish I knew that before, I wouldn't have bought it. Constant audio pops every 2 minutes, even during the matt and trey interview before each episode which is newer footage added for the dvd. So annoying! I can't believe this is like this. I don't have any desire to listen to audio which sounds like it was transferred from vinyl. One of the worst releases ever.
Old 12-08-04, 03:30 PM

The audio popping is horrible. I'd almost want a refund. And I find the little "intros" to be so stupid I skip them. I bought this a while ago with gift money, and wish I had put it to better use.
Old 12-08-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
A. I love the intros. It takes a certain type of sense of humor to appreciate their quirkyness.

B. I've never really heard these pops. At least not to the point of distraction. Maybe try the sound settings on your receiver?
Old 08-01-07, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
B. I've never really heard these pops. At least not to the point of distraction. Maybe try the sound settings on your receiver?
Nope they are on the disc. Sounds like a clocking issue, which is pretty amateurish for a commercial DVD.

Yeah this thread is old, but I still feel ripped off LOL.
Old 08-01-07, 08:30 PM

Thanks for reminding me I have not watched these in over 2 1/2 years. And yeah, the reason is because of the shitty audio issues. Definitely time for me to try to sell these useless dvds.
Old 08-01-07, 08:38 PM

I still have my Season 1 box unopened
This show leaves kind of a sour taste in my mouth these days anyway...
Old 08-01-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Heh, off topic but it's cool to see a thread from years ago with current replies from the creator and original repliers.