Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone know if there is going to be a re-release of Heat?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-29-02, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one of my favorite movies of all time, and I'm dying to see a good transfer. The only Heat DVD I know of is the original Warner Bros. release from a few years back. The transfer looks like dick, and I've been hoping they'd re-release it sometime soon...anyone know if that may happen or if it already has and I just missed it?
Old 09-29-02, 03:25 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wouldn't be surprise to see another release, since the first one had only few extra feature
Old 09-29-02, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
It's a Michael Mann film, and he hasn't exactly embraced extras. still, Warner is doing some nice re-releases so it should happen at some point. It just might not be for a while. I've heard no word.
Old 09-29-02, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know for a long time, this DVD was considered reference audio and video, and for the great SRP of $19.99. Three years later, the transfer "looks like dick."

Anyhow, I wouldn't expect a Special Edition, because from what I've read, Michael Mann isn't a big fan of SEs. Which is why The Insider DVD is relatively skimpy. Although that doesn't explain why the Thief DVD has a commentary from him and James Caan.
Old 09-29-02, 04:12 PM

There's an excellent dts track on the Korean version of Heat. Only problem is it's in the wrong aspect ratio. Would be sweet if Warner would do it right in R1... yes, that means Warner would actually have to release another movie with dts! I've been waiting since June 2000 for more WB dts.
Old 09-29-02, 04:43 PM

I would happily double dip on Heat, I would just settle for a better transfer and dts.
Old 09-29-02, 04:45 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I'd love to see a rerelease of this flick. It probably wouldn't be a full-blown S.E, but would be a good opportunity for Warner Bros. to release Mann's director's cut of this film.

http://us.imdb.com/AlternateVersions?0113277
Old 09-29-02, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

don't count on it..like LBPUND said Michael Mann is a dickhead when it comes to the dvd format..He gave us nothing for Heat,The Insider and Ali..

Ps Caught his new show "Robbery Homicide Division" on friday ngiht..looked pretty good!!..very gritty and urban like
Old 09-29-02, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You know for a long time, this DVD was considered reference audio and video, and for the great SRP of $19.99. Three years later, the transfer "looks like dick."
I agree completely. Heat was the first DVD I bought and played in my first DVD player and I was stunned at it's clear picture quality.

Now, like most pre-2000 year DVDs, it's poor. I would have to say compression artifacts are the biggest negative to older releases. I welcome re-releases due to this.
Old 09-29-02, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Geofferson
I'd love to see a rerelease of this flick. It probably wouldn't be a full-blown S.E, but would be a good opportunity for Warner Bros. to release Mann's director's cut of this film.
from IMDB
Mann offered to reinstate 17 minutes of deleted footage in the film to make it fit a four hour timeslot.

I don't think this implies Director's Cut, I think it means he wanted total supervision over all released formats (DVD, VHS, TV, etc.). And due to the fact NBC wouldn't give him that supervision back in '99, he pull his name off the TV version of the flick.

I could be wrong, but I think the theatricl cut is the Director's Cut. That's just what that statement seems like to me.
Old 09-29-02, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally posted by mikewendt
I don't think this implies Director's Cut, I think it means he wanted total supervision over all released formats (DVD, VHS, TV, etc.). And due to the fact NBC wouldn't give him that supervision back in '99, he pull his name off the TV version of the flick.
He pulled his name off of it because NBC screwed him over big time.

Mann offered to add extra footage into the movie to fit a 4-hour (2 night) time slot. NBC said, "That sounds great!". He recut the movie for them, handed it over, and then NBC said, "That's swell, but we've decided to air it on one night instead. Rather than add extra footage to your movie we've cut an hour out of it so that it will fit into a 3-hour slot with commercials. The movie's plot doesn't make the slightest bit of sense anymore, but we really don't care. Have a nice day!"
Old 09-30-02, 01:13 AM
Banned

Man, this movie is overdue for a SE. Its one of my favorite movies! I remember picking this up when Best Buys had it on sale about a year ago for $8.99 !! Would`nt this movie sound awesome with a DTS track. Id love to see a making of featurette and some deleted scenes too!
Old 02-14-03, 03:52 PM
Banned

any updates on a re-release?
Old 02-14-03, 07:28 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still got those fingers crossed... Miracles do happen.

Not likely in this case, but you never know who might be listening...

-BT
Old 02-14-03, 07:41 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally posted by BT
Still got those fingers crossed... Miracles do happen.
Same here.

Still crossing my fingers for Mann to release his Director's Cut of this film.
Old 03-16-03, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Since Mann will provide a commentary on the upcoming re-release of Manhunter, maybe he'll also cough up a yack track for a possible new edition of Heat.
Old 03-16-03, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Willy
.....I would just settle for a better transfer and dts.
I agree!!
Old 03-16-03, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really want a re-release!

With extras and better video.
Old 03-16-03, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I would love to see this L.A. crime story get better treatment. considering some of the shots are around were I live I hold a special interest to the film.
Old 03-16-03, 10:28 AM
Banned

THEIF dvd looks worse than HEAT.
I've seen HEAT at the movies,laserdisc, cable t.v. and dvd.
And on dvd it's the best it's looked.
Old 03-16-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I believe that the current DVD is more than fine. All the cries about a DTS track are simply overblown...AND as people have alreay mentioned Michael Mann is not a big fan of extras.

I would rather have that 2 disc of ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA come out asap...AND...

...of course BLADE RUNNER(se)...now this is a movie that needs a special edition due to video and audio flaws (and the director's issues so well known).
Old 03-16-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The bank shootout in DTS would be worth the price alone
Old 03-16-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shanester
The bank shootout in DTS would be worth the price alone
My sentiments exactly...whilst i'm never expecting to see a true SE (ie..commentaries etc..) i think it is a bit harsh to say all cries about a DTS track are simply overblown IMHO.
I feel this is one such title that would benefit with being in DTS and certainly more so than some of the releases that have undergone the CTHE 'Superbit' treatment
Old 03-16-03, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know if Once Upon a Time in America at Columbia House is legit or not? I haven't seen it sold anywhere else but I saw it available in the catalog.
Old 03-17-03, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, as Codefree mentioned, the Korean release has the DTS track... as does Italy but that is another story. I had this and recently sold it and I have on order the R1 release due to the apect ratio being screwed up. Anyway, let me just say, the sound is FANTASTIC!!! Not just the bank shootout, but just about every seen. For those not picky and don't have a widescreen tv, try koreandvds.com (Region all), they have it for 18.00 bucks. That is where I got mine. 2 Disc, disc one is 5.1, disc 2 is DTS.

Only if they released it correctly, all would be right with the world.. and it was until my Widescreen TV arrived and ruined it all.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.