Gay themed film: transfer quality - reviews - recommendations - etc 4

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Gay themed film: transfer quality - reviews - recommendations - etc 4

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-03, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are familiar with the UK version of Queer As Folk, would you recommend that as a blind buy over the US version.
IMO, the original British version of Queer as Folk is infinitely better than the US version: sharper, wittier, better written, directed & acted, etc. Since a large part of the first season of the US version was a remake of the British series, you get much of the same story, but told with a lot more style and intelligence (though less eye candy).
Old 02-27-03, 08:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
woohoo! finally a Region 1 release of "Beautiful Thing" has been mentioned over at DVDFile. Add "The Sum of Us" from MGM, gonna upgrade my crappy Canadian edition for this new version. Hopefully 2003 will also see the release of "Edward II" and "Caravaggio"(?)
Old 02-27-03, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Skorp
IMO, the original British version of Queer as Folk is infinitely better than the US version: sharper, wittier, better written, directed & acted, etc. Since a large part of the first season of the US version was a remake of the British series, you get much of the same story, but told with a lot more style and intelligence (though less eye candy).
Agreed - the British version is basically better storytelling... plus if you get all the episodes, it actually ENDS!

I'd highly recommend it for a blind buy (only lame thing is that I think the 2nd DVD is animorphic while the 1st isn't)!
Old 02-27-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
woohoo! finally a Region 1 release of "Beautiful Thing" has been mentioned over at DVDFile.

I hope you're right - those Chinese subtitles drive me crazy!
Old 02-27-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has anyone received "Tales of the City" yet? None of the local stores (Nashville) have it in.
Old 02-27-03, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by raytrade
Was "On the Bus" a circuit film? I was thinking of getting it, but the description at clubthings.com makes it sound more like a Real World road adventure type movie. Does it have to do with the circuit party scene at all?
"Real world road adventure" would be an apt description. It's about several gay guys going to Burning Man, which is NOT a circuit party.
Old 02-27-03, 02:39 PM
Banned

Has anyone seen Rules of attraction.

the kid who plays the gay boy is simply yummy looking and he has a few underwear scenes too.
Old 02-27-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, he is a hottie
Old 02-27-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by giany
Be warned about that if you buy the canadian version of More Tales of the City and Further Tales of the City distribured by Select, they have a condom inserted in the wrap. I saw them at a local store in Toronto.
But I hate the fact that they don't have closed captioning so that I can watch it and enjoy it. So I didn't buy them.
Did you happen to notice what special features, if any, the discs had?

That condom thing is really stupid. I hope no one uses them and expects them to be reliable. I just imagine the dvds sitting around in hot and stuffy manufacturing plants, and then in hot and stuffy werehouses, and then sitting on shelves for years...
Old 02-28-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was at Best Buy today so I just picked up the More Tales and Further Tales dvds there....now I don't have to worry about whether or not the Canadian discs have any special features.

FYI: More Tales was only 22.99 at my Best Buy. For anyone who is interested in it, it might be a good place to pick it up since it appears it may be out of print since it is unavailable at almost all US etailers.
Old 03-01-03, 07:45 AM

I think it doesn't have any special features, just some commentaries. That's all I can remember.

Giany

Originally posted by garmonbozia
Did you happen to notice what special features, if any, the discs had?

That condom thing is really stupid. I hope no one uses them and expects them to be reliable. I just imagine the dvds sitting around in hot and stuffy manufacturing plants, and then in hot and stuffy werehouses, and then sitting on shelves for years...
Old 03-01-03, 10:49 AM

I wonder if anyone has mentioned 'Urbania' yet. That's a pretty good flick as well.
Old 03-02-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Question all:
I'm looking for films that feature black gay and lesbian characters. U.S. films after 1960 preferrably. Any recommendations?
Old 03-02-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lisadoris
Question all:
I'm looking for films that feature black gay and lesbian characters. U.S. films after 1960 preferrably. Any recommendations?
Here are 10 that my partner and I came up with. Hope this helps!

• The Boys in the Band
• Boys on the Side
• The Broken Hearts Club
• Hedwig and the Angry Inch
• Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
• Relax... It's Just Sex
• Six Degrees of Separation
• Stonewall
• Torch Song Trilogy
• To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar

All are available on DVD except Boys in the Band and Torch Song Trilogy.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 03-02-03 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-02-03, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by lisadoris
Question all:
Hooper in Chasing Amy.
Old 03-02-03, 04:18 PM
Cool New Member

IMO, the original British version of Queer as Folk is infinitely better than the US version: sharper, wittier, better written, directed & acted, etc.
Have to respectfully disagree. My partner and I both agree that the UK version was so bad, we were surprised anybody would want to copy it. American version is trashy, but better written, directed, acted, staged, filmed etc.
Old 03-02-03, 07:14 PM

I agree with you.

While watching the british version, I couldn't bear to watch it after the episode where the character dies from a drug overdose.

So I prefer the american version, even it's a bit soapy.

Giany

Originally posted by BobBoyd
Have to respectfully disagree. My partner and I both agree that the UK version was so bad, we were surprised anybody would want to copy it. American version is trashy, but better written, directed, acted, staged, filmed etc.
Old 03-13-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by rfduncan
Agreed - the British version is basically better storytelling... plus if you get all the episodes, it actually ENDS!

I'd highly recommend it for a blind buy (only lame thing is that I think the 2nd DVD is animorphic while the 1st isn't)!
Actually, it is the other way around. The UK Series 1 dvds are anamorphic and the UK Series 2 dvd is not. That's even lamer.

I just got these recently and really enjoyed it. That probably means of course I won't like the US version much since most of the reviews I have read seemed to have much preferred one version over the other....seemed like very few people liked both equally well. oh well.....might as well get Season 1 and give it a try so that I have something watch next month...
Old 03-13-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by garmonbozia
Actually, it is the other way around. The UK Series 1 dvds are anamorphic and the UK Series 2 dvd is not. That's even lamer.
Are you sure about that? I have the complete season 1 from the UK, all 8 episodes. Its widescreen, but its defnitely not anamorphic (16x9). I sent quite a few nasty emails about it too.

I didn't get the season 2 because of the false labeling on the season 1.
Old 03-14-03, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by FaustBos
Are you sure about that? I have the complete season 1 from the UK, all 8 episodes. Its widescreen, but its defnitely not anamorphic (16x9). I sent quite a few nasty emails about it too.

I didn't get the season 2 because of the false labeling on the season 1.
yes i am. I don't have a 16x9 tv, but I check all my discs when I first get them to see which are anamorphic and which are not and keep a list of them for future reference for when I do have 16x9 tv. I always check by telling the player setting that I have a 16X9 tv and then seeing if the image stretches vertically.
For the US discs, both Series are widescreen. Series 1 is anamorphic. Series 2 is non-anamorphic.

This conflicts with the information I saw on Rewind, so either their info source is just wrong, or the US dvds are now different than when they were first released (I kind of doubt this).

Rewind info:
Series 1:
http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/compari...e.php?fid=3065

Series 2:
http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/compari...e.php?fid=3066

I thought about letting them know about their mistakes with the US dvds (they have both listed as fullframe!) but decided not to bother joining the site just for that. So if anyone who is a member of the site wants to let them know that would be great.

So if anamorphic is your priority, and you can play region free and both formats (NTSC/PAL) then it looks like for Series 1, get the US version, and for Series 2 get the UK one. The US ones are very overpriced though.
Old 03-14-03, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh wait, we might be talking about two different things. I have the UK series on zone 2. Didn't realize you were talking about zone 1. In fact, I didn't know the discs came out in zone 1.

FYI, the zone 2 season 1 (which I picked up October 2001), claims to be 16x9, but it isn't. I sent VCI a few mails about it. I don'tt hink it was deliberate false representation, just not understanding what 16x9 actually means.

Also, the UK first season on zone 2 has been overpriced as well. I paid £24.99 it. I should haev got season 2 at the same time, which was very underpriced, but oh well.

Thanks for the clarification, and I hope it helps others!

Jim
Old 03-14-03, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh wait, we might be talking about two different things. I have the UK series on zone 2. Didn't realize you were talking about zone 1. In fact, I didn't know the discs came out in zone 1.
yes, I was talking about the Region 1 discs.
I saw that Rewind was asking for information about the Region 1 discs so I went ahead and just posted there anyway. There's my good deed since I look at that site a lot.
Old 05-02-03, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone seen these films?

These are all playing at a Bergen Gay Film festival this week. Wondered if anyone has seen them and have any comments. Nine Dead Gay Guys is a send up of the foul mouth british gangster movie genre. That should be a hoot.

Thanks!
Jim

Nine Dead Gay Guys http://us.imdb.com/Title?0336910
AKA (2002) http://us.imdb.com/Title?0317052
The Gift http://us.imdb.com/Title?0355483
Politics of Fur, The http://us.imdb.com/Title?0325992
Old 05-02-03, 11:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Has anyone seen these films?

These are all playing at a Bergen Gay Film festival this week. Wondered if anyone has seen them and have any comments. Nine Dead Gay Guys is a send up of the foul mouth british gangster movie genre. That should be a hoot.

Thanks!
Jim

Nine Dead Gay Guys http://us.imdb.com/Title?0336910
AKA (2002) http://us.imdb.com/Title?0317052
The Gift http://us.imdb.com/Title?0355483
Politics of Fur, The http://us.imdb.com/Title?0325992
Saw AKA at last years DC's Gay & Lesbian Film fest and was very surprised. The tryptich (sp) three screen imaging is fascinating and is effectively used. I really don't want to give too much away, but the story is akin to "The Talented Mr. Ripley" without the murder aspect of the story included. I definately recommend it.
Old 05-03-03, 02:15 PM

Myra Breckenridge is due out on Fox DVD sometime!!

Mike Sarne recently emailed me with the great news that at long last Fox are due to release the DVD Special Edition. Sadly the actual release date has not yet been announced.

This month Michael Sarne is due to come to Los Angeles to put together a "making of Myra Breckenridge" documentary with interviews with Myra star Raquel Welch and her alter ego Rex Reed.

Sadly, of course, Mae West is long gone, although she did do a sound interview with the late John Kobal talking of her role as Leticia Van Allen she said " Ohhhh - I'm really queen of the casting couch deah !!"

I for one can't wait to see the divine Mae West strutting her stuff and hear her singing Hard To Handle with her set of gorgeous black chorus boys in digitally remastered widescreen and hopefully 5.1 sound!!

Last edited by Muir Hewitt; 05-03-03 at 02:32 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.