Search this Thread

Old 09-06-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There will be an american idol dvd!

actually here's the full artical
Beware, we haven't heard last of 'Idol'
Many plans in store for winner, finalists, including tour, CD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Staff And Wire Reports
Originally published September 6, 2002

There wasn't much on TV this summer, was there? Tons of repeats and enough reality shows and game shows and reality-based game shows to fill a whole network.

Maybe that's why so many millions tuned in to Fox's American Idol twice a week, first watching the masses humiliate themselves in auditions, and then watching the relatively talented finalists give it their all on live TV, for better (making the cut and gaining exposure) or worse (being eviscerated by judge Simon Cowell and feeling exposed).

But even though the show is over - Kelly Clarkson, the goofily sweet 20-year-old singer from Texas beat out teenybopper favorite Justin Guarini, a 23-year-old from Pennsylvania for the record contract - the hype is only just beginning.

Clarkson's first single, "A Moment Like This," will be released Sept. 17, and a full album will follow in November. To get Clarkson's single out that quickly, the last four finalists each recorded the same original song. After one of those four, Tamyra Gray of Takoma Park, was eliminated, the remaining three recorded a second song.

But even without winning the title, the other nine finalists have already won exposure. Next month they will begin a national concert tour (stopping at Washington's MCI Center Nov. 3, with tickets going on sale today), promoting a compilation CD from the show called American Idol: Greatest Hits. They have appeared on the covers of TV Guide and Entertainment Weekly, and there is a tie-in American Idol book.

A DVD of the series is coming in October, with outtakes that include a live monkey scampering among the judges. The producers felt the implication that the judges were monkeys didn't belong on the air while the contest was going on. "We would have lost our integrity," said Nigel Lythgoe, the co-executive producer of American Idol and the British show Pop Idol, which inspired the creation of the U.S. version.

Instant tours and singles are the kinds of thing that happen when a show becomes a moderate summer sensation. Viewership built to a hefty 18.2 million for Tuesday's final competition, after which 15.5 million people voted for the outcome announced on Wednesday's show, which drew 22.5 million viewers.

That's not close to the seasonal benchmark of 51.7 million viewers that the final episode of CBS' Survivor set in its debut summer of 2000, but it was good enough to dominate 2002 summer TV among the young adult viewers advertisers covet.

Unsurprisingly, plans for American Idol 2 are already being finalized, and executives at Fox and FreemantleMedia, which produced the show, hope to get it on the air as early as January. And as inevitable as the sequel are the copycats. CBS plans to re-launch Star Search, and USA is developing a Nashville Star competition with a country flavor.

Radio might be the next frontier for the American Idol finalists. In England, the final three Pop Idol finalists each had No. 1 CDs, released by Cowell's label, and something similar is likely to happen here. Especially after Cowell, who was also a judge in the British contest (and has signed on to judge in the sequel) confessed that after the long American competition, "I have to begrudgingly admit the talent is better here."

But for now, the moment is all about Kelly, Kelly, Kelly (as judge Randy Jackson would - and often did - say). Clarkson is now signed with RCA Records and managed by 19 Management. She said she and Guarini are planning to write a song together and sing it as a duet for her as-yet-untitled album.

She will also join the show's 30 finalists for a live performance in Las Vegas on Sept. 23, and expects to tour with the group while recording her new songs.

But in the end, Clarkson wasn't the only winner in the American Idol contest; Coke was, too.

Earlier this year, the Coca-Cola Co. had thought about sponsoring a series starring Gregory Hines. The deal didn't go through. Instead, Coke put its money behind Idol. Jon Nesvig, president of sales for Fox Broadcasting, said the network decided product placement would work, based on the previous success of Survivor. The result: Coke became an ever-present part of every episode, from red cups on the judges' table to "Coca-Cola Moments" highlights

"It's acceptable in these shows," Nesvig said.

But the ad-laden nature of American Idol has brought detractors. TV critic Steve Johnson of the Chicago Tribune called the marketing "stultifying," especially the "troglodytic" skits using Ford Focus cars.

While Clarkson will be moving on to other things, expect to see this commercial winner in the sequel

Last edited by Rypro 525; 09-06-02 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-06-02, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Already ordered! Will be released on 10/15. It is 13.99 at DVD Empire. IT will just be a best of though, not a season release.

Sam
Old 09-06-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A DVD of the series is coming in October, with outtakes that include a live monkey scampering among the judges. The producers felt the implication that the judges were monkeys didn't belong on the air while the contest was going on. "We would have lost our integrity," said Nigel Lythgoe, the co-executive producer of American Idol and the British show Pop Idol, which inspired the creation of the U.S. version.
Sorry about that. I just had to get a look at Paula up close.

das
Old 09-06-02, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Threadcrap deleted. - Static
Old 09-08-02, 10:40 AM

Deleted threadcrap. - Static
Old 09-08-02, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Deleted threadcrap - Static
Old 09-08-02, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re:

Originally posted by Flyerman85
El deleto - El Statico
It never ceases to amaze me how people just can't be happy for the people that want XYZ on DVD and keep negative comments to themselves. But I guess opinions are the reason these message boards exist. If I don't like a movie or DVD I just don't see the point in expending the energy to talk badly about it because I am sure SOMEBODY out there wants it and more power to them. I can't believe HALF of the stuff that is out there on DVD while a lot of the movies/TV that I want still aren't but I am not gonna whine about it.

If ya don't want it...don't buy it. That is the best way to let the company know how you feel. Fans, on the otherhand, couldn't care less. :-)

That is just my opinion, of course.

Sam
Old 09-08-02, 01:26 PM

Not another threadcrap... zzzzzzzzz

Last edited by Flyerman85; 09-08-02 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-08-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are threadcraps that dumb? Yes... yes, they are.

Deleted. - Static
Old 09-08-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
why must there always be threadcrapping???
Old 09-08-02, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seriously though, did that Justin kid not look just like Sideshow Bob?
Old 09-08-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i am one who never watched the show, nor cared who won but since it was in the paper, i wanted to report the news since i know there are some ai fans on this board
Old 09-08-02, 09:13 PM
Admin Emeritus

If you hate American Idol, that's great, and you're entitled to do so. But don't [url=http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=235044]threadcrap[/i] about it here. Go to the TV Talk forum, where other like minded DVD Talkers post their opinions of the show.

This thread is for discussion of the DVD. Let's keep it on topic, please... thanks.
Old 10-17-02, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So, does anyone who bought the DVD this week have any comments on the quality of the DVD, and/or the selection of performances on the DVD?
Old 02-25-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts
Reviving this thread...

As per tvshowsondvd.com...

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2987

American Idol - New Idol DVDs being planned covering additional seasons!
Posted by David Lambert
2/25/2005

Trade magazine Home Media Retailing (formerly Video Store Magazine) has posted an article about the American International Toy Fair that was held earlier this week in New York City. The story, written by Anne Sherber, discusses how toys and DVDs are now rather co-dependent on each other, and releases of one are often tied into another. One example given brings good news for American Idol fans: it turns out that a new Idol-themed series of Barbie toys will find synergy with a new round of DVDs featuring the first three seasons of the show. Here's a quote from Gerber's report:

David Luner, VP, licensing of Freemantle Media, the license holder of TV series "American Idol," enjoying its fourth season as an entertainment juggernaut, is launching its licensing program with "American Idol Barbie." ...Luner also notes that the company is in negotiations with a video company to release the first three seasons of the program on DVD. Although he said the companies are close to an agreement, he declined to name the potential partner. Ventura Distribution released the first season on video.

Note that the original DVD release, while distributed by Ventura as noted in the story, was actually produced by Respond2 Entertainment. It was a best-of disc, showing the highlights of the first season as contestants are eliminated on the road to deciding a winner. The move away from a full-season release was due to the nature of the show: 1) it would be costly to license every song that the Idols sung for DVD release, and 2) it was thought that fans wouldn't be interested in re-living every moment of the show, but just seeing the most important parts of the contest.

That release was available in a 1-DVD version with the best parts of the 2002 competition, and also a more limited 2-DVD version which also included the "Making of an American Idol" extras disc.

Would new releases continue with the Best-Of format, or - like Survivor, another hot reality show - jump from best-ofs to full season sets? We don't know, and we suspect even Freemantle doesn't know until they conclude the process of partnering with a North American distributor, and work out the details with them. Who will that distributor be? We honestly don't know, but we will point out that Freemantle has an existing relationship with A&E for the Thames library of U.K. properties, so it might be a good guess that they're the front runners. On the other hand, we *are* just guessing. Stay tuned, and we'll let you know for sure when we do.
Old 04-10-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts
Article and images taken from tvshowsondvd.com

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3237

American Idol - Special New DVD Available At Sponsor's Stores - Details, Art, & Mini-Review!
Posted by David Lambert
4/10/2005

If you were watching American Idol this past Tuesday (April 5th), you saw the first commercials for a special offer on a TV-DVD from longtime Idol sponsor Cingular Wireless. The spot was pretty funny: host Ryan Seacrest was outside a Cingular store, talking about the offer, and trying to convince people waiting in a long line (that extended out the front door and waaay down the block) to let him cut in. Noone would, and he finally found his way to the end of the line. Who was he about to stand in line behind for a very long time? None other than 3rd Season Idol auditioner William Hung! ("She Bangs")

Okay, I've described the ad...now it's time to describe the DVD. Cingular stores in my area surprisingly were not displaying it the day after the ad ran, and the employees didn't seem to be aware of it, but by Friday I found one store that was able to dig up a copy in their backroom. The televised spots said that the cost was $9.99 if made with any other purchase. If there's nothing you're prepared to buy along with it, though, expect to pay $19.99 for this "Official Collector's Edition DVD". Is it worth it? Let's see:

American Idol - The Best of Seasons 1, 2 & 3 is a single disc running just 68 minutes. While the title emphasizes that it covers the best moments from the first three seasons, there is also footage on here taken from the early episodes of the 4th season as well (mostly audition sequences). Here is the total breakdown of all the content:

"The Search" (14:41) - A look at American Idol's search across America for talent. Includes interviews with the Executive Producers, with Simon Cowell, and some of the most memorable auditions in the shows history, including from the currently-running 4th year. Look for audition segments - good ones and bad ones - from "Keith", William Hung, "Mary", "Scooter Girl", "Scat Girl", USMC Lance Corporal Joshua Gracin, and more! Narrated by Ryan Seacrest.

Great Performances (37:12):
Tamyra Gray: "Feel the Fire"
Kelly Clarkson: "Respect"
Justin Guarini: "Get Here"
Kelly Clarkson - The American Idol: "A Moment Like This"
Ruben Studdard-Clay Aiken-Kimberly Locke: "Medley"
Reben Studdard: "Breakin' Up Is Hard To Do"
Clay Aiken: "Bridge Over Troubled Waters"
Ruben Studdard - The American Idol: "Flying Without Wings"
La Toya London: "Don't Rain On My Parade"
Fantasia Barrino: "Summertime"
Diana DeGarmo: "Enough is Enough"
Fantasia Barrino - The American Idol: "I Believe"

"Here Come The Judges" (5:29) - A look at the three judges on American Idol, including interviews with Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson, and Paula Abdul. Includes the infamous post-audition discussion in which a contestant douses Simon with a glass of water, plus more memorable clips from auditions as the judges explain their reactions. Narrated by Ryan Seacrest.

Idol Extras:
"The Audition Collection" (6:18) - The "Goin' to Hollywood!" auditions from Kelly Clarkson, Justin Guarini, Clay Aiken, Ruben Studdard, Diana DeGarmo, and Fantasia Barrino.

"Cuddles" (1:35) - Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell have a romantic dinner in this fun sequence that plays on the show's running gag about the judges' feelings for each other. Special appearance by Randy Jackson.

"You're A Star" Music Video (2:16)

The national phenomenon, American Idol, is now a sensational new DVD. Re-live the incredible finalist performances and truly unforgettable auditions. Enjoy the judges' stinging commentary on talent-challenged contestants, and the excitement of your favorite moments from the show's first three seasons. Special bonus footage from Season 4! Loaded with the very best highlights, this collection gives fans of American Idol exactly what they've been waiting for!

The above description (in italics) from the back of the box frankly makes this item sound like there's a lot more here than there really is. I frankly wish there was something I needed for my Cingular phone right now, so I could have gotten it for the $9.99 price instead of paying the full $20 for it. Still, many of the moments on this disc ARE neat to have, especially the "Cuddles" video, great auditions (both excellent and awful ones), and knockout performances like La Toya London's following her too-soon elimination in Season 3, Kelly's belting out of "Respect" in the first year, Clay's emotional rendition of "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" in the second year, and I can't get enough of Diana DeGarmo's sensational version of "Enough Is Enough" during the third year (Diana, I keep playing and replaying that sequence on this DVD...well done!).

If you're a Cingular customer and need something for your phone while this DVD offer is being made, I highly recommend getting it as an add-on. If you're a huge American Idol fan, it will be a no-brainer to add this to your collection even at the full $20 price, no matter the short running time, because it's really got some cool stuff on it. For more casual fans, though, who don't have a reason to purchase anything at a Cingular store, it will be hard to recommend this to you. Overall, this hopefully is nothing more than something to tide us all over until the new season set releases - revealed this past February to be in-the-works - hit the market! Stay tuned for more info about those once we get the word. In the meantime, let's enjoy the 4th season.