Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Are dvds getting cheaper again?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-02, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are dvds getting cheaper again?

Well I missed the "online" fest, where apparently companies were giving away dvds. I came onto the scene right after that. Everything new was 20 bucks, ebay would have used ones for 12 bucks, etc. Now it seems like prices are coming down. There must have been 5 different deals for LOTR. Even Circuit City had it on sale, and they aren't as good as BB. Ebay is cheaper. Half.com is an alternative. And there is columbia house. Are the prices getting cheaper or am I slowly slipping into madness?
Old 08-12-02, 01:40 AM

both
Old 08-12-02, 08:25 AM

DVDs have done nothing BUT get cheaper.....

Even new release 2-disc sets are rarely more than $20....

DVDs = Cheap!
Old 08-12-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems like they're giving good prices on big budget new releases, but only for a limited time. Harry Potter was cheap when it came out too, but now it's regular price.
Old 08-12-02, 10:15 AM

Well I for one think $20 for a movie that wont wear out in 10 years or ROT (yes I dont beleve they rot) and has lots of extras and is in super clear quality is a steal.
rember how much laserdisks cost?

stores often have super sales on hot titles so you cant go by that for a price compairson.

anyway I think DVD's are just super
Old 11-16-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think there's no doubt that DVDs are generally increasing in quality while getting less expensive and packing more features. Additionally, the price drops on "older" titles also seem to be happening much more quickly now.
Old 11-16-04, 12:34 PM
Cool New Member

It seems that most titles are now $17.99 or $19.99 on their first week of release, as the MSRPs have crept closer to $30. It wasn't too long ago that $14.99 was a common price point for new releases at big box B&M retailers, with the possible exception of Wal-Mart (and their prices are so random it's always YMMV).

I've started holding off on purchasing new DVDs the week they are released. Instead I'm waiting for the inevitable price drop. Box sets are the only exception, and I usually pick those up from Amazon with a STL discount. I only bought one disc from DDD during this week's sale (primarily because the big-ticket item I wanted, the .hack//sign Complete Collection, had its release date pushed to 11/23).

The stickied Schedule for Price Drop thread is invaluable for me.
Old 11-16-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hack//sign got pushed? I saw the LE set at BB today, and it's also available on amazon. Or is it something else you're talking about?
Old 11-16-04, 03:31 PM

When I first bought John Carpenter's the Thing on dvd (one of the first two dvds I bought) it was $35. This was 1998, I believe. Things have changed. For the (much much much much) better.
Old 11-16-04, 03:33 PM
Cool New Member

Warning! Thread drift ahead!

Originally posted by ShagMan
hack//sign got pushed? I saw the LE set at BB today, and it's also available on amazon. Or is it something else you're talking about?
Nope, we're talking about the same thing. DDD lists 11/23 as the release date, so the 20% off coupon won't work:

DDD listing for .hack//Sign Complete Collection

$89.99 - 20% = $71.99 would have been incredible.

DVD Price Search also says 11/23, although I've seen other retailers list it as being in stock. In any event, as long as DDD calls it a preorder, the coupon won't work.
Old 11-17-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bluesparrow
When I first bought John Carpenter's the Thing on dvd (one of the first two dvds I bought) it was $35. This was 1998, I believe. Things have changed. For the (much much much much) better.
Agreed. I picked it up in it's new anamorphic tranfer for $14.95 after having paid lots more years ago. A friend of mine just bought the 2-disc Once Upon A Time In The West at the local Walmart for $9.88........prices are falling and with all the buyers and disc players now on the market that's what they need to do, fall so more people will buy. Single discs seem to fall in price quickly but box sets seem to never drop.