Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

HP Lovecraft's "The Resurrected" coming to DVD September 20th

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-08-02, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help bring the best (and most faithful) H.P Lovecraft adaptation to DVD by signing the online petition found at;

http://www.petitiononline.com/TRDVD/petition.html

The film was directed by Dan O'Bannon ("The Return of the Living Dead", "Alien") and stars Chris Sarandon ("Fright Night").

Once a suitable number of signatures have been added, the petition will be submitted to Artisan Entertainment.
Old 04-08-02, 02:03 AM

I got to be #5.
Old 04-08-02, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 175 Posts
#9 Looks like we have a long way to go....
Old 04-08-02, 01:48 PM

Wasn't this a direct to video release?

I caught this film on HBO or something about 10 years ago and it really knocked me out.

I just signed the petion. Good luck.
Old 04-19-02, 06:00 PM

An interesting note....

when I asked Dan O'Bannon about maybe doing something for a possible DVD release of "The Resurrected", he said something along the lines of "That would take a lot of work."

When I inquired further, he said that after he finished putting together the film, the scumbag (my words, not his) producers went in and completely re-edited the film, often using different takes thereby changing the flow of the entire film.

He'd obviously like to re-cut the film to his vision but considering Artisan owns the movie, I doubt that'd happen. If that was the case, I honestly don't know if Dan would even want to be involved as the version we've all seen isn't really Dan's version but the producers.
Old 04-19-02, 07:55 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
At first thought, I thought this was a petition for the Linda Blair/Leslie Nielsen slapstick Exorcist spoof...Resurrected.
Old 04-19-02, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Geofferson
At first thought, I thought this was a petition for the Linda Blair/Leslie Nielsen slapstick Exorcist spoof...Resurrected.
You're thinking of "Reposessed"
Old 05-24-02, 09:10 PM

Help bring the best (and most faithful) H.P Lovecraft adaptation to DVD by signing the online petition found at;

http://www.petitiononline.com/TRDVD/petition.html

The film was directed by Dan O'Bannon ("The Return of the Living Dead", "Alien") and stars Chris Sarandon ("Fright Night").

Once a suitable number of signatures have been added, the petition will be submitted to Artisan Entertainment.

Please sign the petition and then inform as many other Lovecraft and horror fans to do the same. Thanks.
Old 06-08-02, 11:54 PM

I've created a small web page dedicated to news on the DVD at;

http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/resurrected.html

All news regarding the DVD will be posted there along with ways to contact the studio and thank 'em for a DVD release. Also included are a few links to other web sites about the film, etc.
Old 12-11-02, 01:58 AM

There's still plenty of time to get Artisan to release this movie on DVD in 2003. Please sign the petition but also take a minute and write Artisan a letter as well. Their address;

Artisan Entertainment Inc.
2700 Colorado Avenue
Santa Monica, CA 90404
Old 12-11-02, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OT, any news on the re release of Dark Star?
Old 12-11-02, 01:28 PM

No news on "Dark Star" I'm afraid.
Old 12-11-02, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what about 'from beyond'?
Old 12-11-02, 04:17 PM

I'm a huge Lovecraft fan but the three Lovecraft-based movies I've seen have made me never want to watch another one again. (Re-Animator and Bride of Re-Animator, trashy splatter films that tarnish the name of Lovecraft, and Necronomicon, where the first segment by Christophe Gans [Brotherhood of the Wolf] did a good job capturing the mood but the other two were horrid.) Maybe I'll watch this one. Anyway, I signed at #108.
Old 12-11-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm on the list now....thanks.
Old 12-11-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
Love the movie!! I have been waiting for this to show up. Hopefully, the petition will make it happen.
Old 12-11-02, 11:26 PM

MGM owns "From Beyond"
Old 09-18-03, 09:17 PM

About 2 weeks ago I made contact with Anne Durante, assistant to Steve Beeks, president of Artisan Home Entertainment.

He returned my call today but as luck would have it, I was not home. I tried calling him back but he was in a meeting.

I will try again tomorrow so keep your fingers crossed!
Old 09-18-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 175 Posts
I really want this... Hopefully it will happen soon!!
Old 01-28-04, 04:06 PM

Lions Gate now owns Artisan! Anyway, here's an update;

Some good news kids! I heard back from Ann Durante today (she's the assistant to president Steve Beeks) and here's what she told me. She said that Mr. Beeks hasn't forgotten about "The Resurrected", it's just that things got put on the backburner because of the Lions Gate deal. However, he is currently looking into sales numbers and will pursue Dan for a DVD release, so yes he's actively checking into it!
I called Dan briefly about this today and he's looking forward to it.
Looks like "The Resurrected" will get resurrected on DVD afterall!
However, KEEP WRITING LETTERS AND E-MAILS! They must know there is a market for this movie!

Lions Gate Entertainment
4553 Glencoe Avenue, Suite 200
Marina Del Ray, California 90292
Old 02-08-04, 07:51 PM

Found this on another web site which give you an idea of what's "missing" from the current cut of "The Resurrected";

Before the producers got their hands on it, The Resurrected was called The Ancestor and featured many deleted scenes:

The opening sequence was much different, and set the tone for the rest of the film.

Step-printing was used to give the audience the feeling of time slowing down._

There is no opening narration by John Marsh, opting for an overhead shot of Providence.

There were more dream sequences, many of which give the feeling that Curwen was actually reaching out to the minds of John March and Jane Ward. In the first sequence, John is tortured by Curwen, disguised as Dr. Ash, with a scalpel, while intercut with_footage of an autopsy. The second dream sequence shows Curwen, again disguised as Dr. Ash, holding the severed head of Jane Ward._

After Charles (secretly Curwen) is pronounced insane, there is a love scene between Jane and John. As she tells him how safe she feels in his arms, they accidentally break a picture of the Wards._

Several extended scenes in the catacombs reveal torture equipment employed by Ward to extract secrets from other resurrected magicians. This would've also explained why he kept the creatures alive in his catacombs: he did not have both halves of the formula, he couldn't turn them back to their original form (namely, ashes).

The subplot of the wild dogs in the hills was more developed._

A shot of John March discovering Ward's skeleton and matching the skull's teeth to a snapshot of Charles smiling.

Another cut scene, revealing Jane to be pregnant, was going to lead in to a planned sequel, The Resurrected 2: Ashes to Ashes. Cthulhu was even going to make a cameo.
Old 03-05-05, 03:14 PM

Just some extra FYI, the OAR for "The Resurrected" is 1.85:1 so any DVD release should be in widescreen (Dan O'Bannon confirmed the aspect ratio for me this past week.)
Old 03-10-05, 03:38 PM

I received a call from Steve Beeks from Lions Gate this afternoon. He told me that there are no plans to release "The Resurrected" on DVD this year and that after looking at sales figures (which is their #1 reason for releasing a catalog title on DVD) the title is not a priority for them. However I did mention that since "The Resurrected" has been unavailable to purchase for many years now, using such old data wouldn't be of much help. He did say they're keeping an open mind and said "you never know" (whatever that implies.) I offered my help and said I'd do whatever it took to increase awareness for the title in the hopes it'd encourage the studio to release it.

I also asked if they had a widescreen master for the movie (so it can be released OAR when they do decide on putting it out on DVD) but he did not know as he hadn't been that in-depth when he looked at the title for consideration.

I suppose we can claim a small victory in the sense that we got them to even look at the title and discuss a DVD release in the first place but I know that's just not enough for me (or you I'm sure.) I will continue to work at this and have asked them for a more specific way for fans to contact the studio and ask for "The Resurrected" to be released on DVD (a certain person in a certain department, etc so the information definitely gets into the right hands.)
Old 03-10-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kind of off-topic, but there's a new book of H.P. Lovecraft's stories that the Library of America put out. It's supposed to be a good collection. There's a review up this week at The Onion's A.V. Club.
Old 03-16-05, 12:28 AM

I heard back from Lions Gate today. I now have a specific person that you should send your letters to, so here it is:

Eugene Kang
Lions Gate Entertainment
2700 Colorado Avenue
2nd floor
Santa Monica, California 90404

Mr. Kang is one of their brand managers and runs Lions Gate's catalog for their marketing department. Please be respectful in your letters to him and make it very clear just how much you want "The Resurrected" on DVD (in widescreen of course.)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.