"Return of the Living Dead PART 2" coming 2004

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can't wait until it comes out!
Old 04-23-03, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like part II, but give me the uncut part III too.
Old 10-09-03, 11:32 PM

Just came across this page;

http://efilmcritic.com/feature.php?feature=257

Scroll down and you'll see the have a December 31, 2004 release date for ROTLD2 on DVD.

Now, I've never heard of a release date announced for a title a little over a YEAR before the actual release date so this is new to me. I have not seen this mentioned anywhere else so treat this as a rumor for now.

Speaking of rumors, I have also heard that Warner Brothers might be releasing ROTLD2 *full frame only*! Again, this has not been confirmed so don't get too worried. I can't imagine Warner doing this as they've been doing very well in the OAR department for a while now.
Old 10-10-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sites usually list the last day of the year when they don't know the actual date. Also the fact that Dec. 31, 2004 is a Friday doesn't bode well for it being a legitimate release date (I doubt Warner is planning a rare Friday release for this title).
Old 10-10-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
geez, I wander into this thread thinking it's new and come to find out its over a year old. this early in the morning I was thinking everyone was on something by talking about old news.

by the way, I signed and am #1489
Old 10-10-03, 12:15 PM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
Damn, I just hope it's not FF only.
Old 02-17-04, 11:42 AM

Boy, somebody has really been messing around with this movie...
I was watching ROTLD 2 on one of the movie channels last night and was struck by an obviously new addition to the film. No, not music being different (more on that in a sec)....they've added narration at the beginning of the movie! Some guy simply explains about the Trioxin gas, etc. I kept thinking "What the...?"
Sure enough, I heard quite a few changes in regards to the music in the film. A good bit of material has been removed...for example when the zombies rise from the grave, the music was ripping off the "Trioxin Theme" from the first film, now there's new music that features some awfully cheesy synth stuff.
There are other music changes to be sure and any fan of the film will notice them rather easily. I can only assume that this new version will be what we get on DVD. Sorry guys.
Old 02-17-04, 12:09 PM
Cool New Member

Location: a place that is just as real, but not as brightly lit
Sweet! Another horror series hole filled.
[hey! get your mind out of the gutter!]

But, sorry RotLD2 fans/RotLD3 haters, but Brian Yuzna pwns Ken Wiederhorn...

Now, where the hell are Phantasm 2 and 3?
Old 02-17-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Damn, I was hoping that this was a final release date announcement!
Old 02-17-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
awesome! I've been waiting for a R1 version of ROTLD 2, cant wait
Old 02-17-04, 02:37 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Michael Allred
There are other music changes to be sure and any fan of the film will notice them rather easily. I can only assume that this new version will be what we get on DVD. Sorry guys.
Why would they take the time to change the music around, anyway? Perhaps it was a weird TV version you were watching?
Old 02-17-04, 02:58 PM

Yeah the versions I saw on TNT & Sci-Fi never had the narration or music alterations. They were still cut for language & some for violence...but that was it.

It could be a strange network tv hackjob used for when it first premired on the networks long ago? Since as far as I know,I have never seen that version on any network basic or otherwise.

I am sure the dvd will be of the uncut theatrical version. Unless the print you saw had a Warner logo before the film. I would not worry so much
Old 02-17-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by tripps

Now, where the hell are Phantasm 2 and 3?
They live in R2 land.
Old 02-17-04, 03:10 PM

This version with the Trioxin gas narration started running (I think on Cinemax) a few months ago. Sadly this is probably the one which hits DVD. Remember how Pt 1 was changed.
Old 02-17-04, 03:10 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by renaldow
They live in R2 land.
Unfortunately, 4% Speed-Up Land lives next door to Pan & Scan Land in my particular brain.

S'fine. I'll live with my VHS-to-DVD-R conversions for now.
Old 02-18-04, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by sirbrady
This version with the Trioxin gas narration started running (I think on Cinemax) a few months ago. Sadly this is probably the one which hits DVD. Remember how Pt 1 was changed.
Yup, a few months before part 1 hit DVD, the TV broadcasts featured the new soundmix. I think we're getting a preview of what's to come on the upcoming DVD.
Old 02-19-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Michael Allred
Yup, a few months before part 1 hit DVD, the TV broadcasts featured the new soundmix. I think we're getting a preview of what's to come on the upcoming DVD.
Part 1 was altered ?? I missed out on the details of this, and apparently my memories of the original were foggy enough that I didn't catch the differences when I watched the DVD. How was the DVD release different ??

Hopefully they won't screw with Part 2, or go FF with the release. I'd call bullsheet on that...
Old 02-19-04, 03:52 PM

The soundmix of part one was altered by the director,to lower the punk songs in some sequences so you can hear the dialogue clearly,or they cut out of a portion of the song & only played a looped portion of the opening intros to the songs. O' bannon always wanted it to be this way,but the producers decided to amp up the music(in this case,it was a good thing!).

I would have prefered the original theatrical soundmix which ruled...& wish MGM would have at least gave us a choice between the two.

Hmmmm when is part 2 on Cinemax next? I will have to check it out. I don't think Warner would **** this one up that much,given how they are attempting to preserve original theatrical or uncut versions of films lately.
Old 02-19-04, 04:15 PM

It was on a few days ago. The Trioxin commentary stinks. Almost like a documentary or something.

I think they just tried to copy other sequels, by giving a quick recap. Evil Deads, Blade, Halloween, etc.
Old 02-19-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Julie Walker

Hmmmm when is part 2 on Cinemax next? I will have to check it out.

It come on Sat. night/Sun. morning (whichever way you wanna look at it) on OuterMax (one of the many Cinemaxs).
Hoping to check it out then myself.
Old 02-19-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 485 Likes on 321 Posts
Originally posted by Julie Walker
The soundmix of part one was altered by the director,to lower the punk songs in some sequences so you can hear the dialogue clearly,or they cut out of a portion of the song & only played a looped portion of the opening intros to the songs. O' bannon always wanted it to be this way,but the producers decided to amp up the music(in this case,it was a good thing!).
I agree. I just loved the cocaphony of all the kids arguing/boarding the door/ that song playing. I think the DVD version where you can hear them clearly is flat and feels way too long. I love the way the song climaxes 'All you gotta do is go go GO' as the realization of where Freedie is dawns on the one girl's face. As it is now, the scene is without urgency, boring.

BTW. I watched that scene with the Spanish track (probebly preparied when the film was being released to theaters) and it has the original sound mix(excepting ofcourse, all the screaming in Spanish).
Old 02-19-04, 06:56 PM

Yeah,I only watched the dvd once & I LOVE this film. But was irritated with the terrific mix being altered.

In some ways,I wish Mike was able to convince Dan to use his mix on the proposed Directors Cut of the film & not the theatrical cut or at least have both mixes in ENGLISH offered

Is there anyway to get a good copy of the MGM transfer with the original mix? I am sure someone out there knows how to do good dvd-R audio editing?

Anyway we can convince MGM to rerelease it with the theatrical audio mix?

You are right though with the Take A Walk song. I LOVED it in the theatrical mix,it worked soooo perfectly with the action onscreen.

Deleting it aside from the brief intro when they are running was like when I saw the long version of Dawn of the Dead & the opening credit music was missing(a great score than enhances the tension & dramatic flow of the credit sequence!) & took me out of the film.
Old 02-19-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 485 Likes on 321 Posts
I doubt MGM would go through the trouble of re-releasing it with the old mix, since the changes are pretty minor. Other than you and me, I don't know how many people would rebuy it just for that.

The Directors cut of Dawn of the Dead was my first laser disc. I was so excited to watch it and was totally confused at the missing music during the beginning. I started checking all the speaker cables, thinking that maybe a few of them had gone out. Then I sat there complaining for twenty minutes about how it 'ruined' the movie, til my parents got fed up and left the room.
Old 02-19-04, 08:47 PM

Well if MGM ever releases the Directors Cut of the film. Though it seems doubtful now,as no word on it has come out since I guess sales were not what they expect(?). I would hope they include both mixes..but I doubt that. They may include mono & 5.1 mixes but with the new mix only...ughhh.

I guess the changes are not 'that' bad...but it will take some getting used to. I still have the cd soundtrack which I crank up from time to time

As for Dawn,the extended rough cut sucks! other than the lack of great score,,,,the pacing is completely off. I can't wait for ABs release of the TRUE directors cut,the unrated thearical version
Old 02-20-04, 04:10 AM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Cool, now I can finally dump my copied-from-cable VHS version.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.