Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One/Only Evil Dead Series Versions thread (merged in effect thread)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

One/Only Evil Dead Series Versions thread (merged in effect thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Collectible and limited edition booklets that comes with EVIL DEAD Book of the Dead & Rental Only Version - Evil Dead THX release - Army of Darkness Boomstick Edition

Originally Posted by xage
Xage's Evil Dead R1 DVD Collection

Evil Dead / Evil Dead II- Dead By Dawn / Army of Darkness

The Books Of The Dead - Original and Re-release

Evil Dead - 1999 Anchorbay Release in 4 different DVD Art *

Evil Dead - 1999 Anchorbay DVD in a Lunchbox and Neca Lunchbox Limited #out of 5000 **

Army of Darkness: BoomStick Edition - 2003 Anchorbay Release ***

Army if Darkness - 1999-2000 Anchorbay #d Limited Edition - Rare/OOP ****

Evil Dead - Anchorbay 2002 (RENTAL ONLY) Release - Rarest R1 *****

My Evil Dead Collection

footnotes:

* Contrary to early information that there were "5" variations of the 1999 Anchorbay Released, it seems that there were only four "4" (enough to spell E-V-I-L at its spine# ). The set stir a lot of confusion at ebay as the stock photo made available was not even the same cover/art.

** The two released lunchboxes were always been mistaken as the same, but its NOT (One has a DVD in it, the other has a Thermos).

*** Please be aware that the sought after OOP release/version of the "Boomstick Edition" is the one with the "Limited Collectible 8 page Booklet" entitled Join the Army

**** Please take note that there were four #d Limited Edition releases of Army of Darknes. The Hard ones to obtain or the so called "rarer" versions are the ones released in Canada.

- Gold keepcase / Director's Cut limited to (US) #out of 40,000 and (Canada) #out of 5,000
- 2 disc Alpha Case limited to (US) #out of 30,000 and (Canada) #out of 4,000

**** This is an exclusive Blockbuster "Rental Only" Edition and "Not For Sale". Released back in 2002. And what made it so rare was it's limited release of availability to "Corporate" Blockbuster Stores only
Old 06-25-06, 11:47 AM
Banned

I found one at a Blockbuster near my cousin's place and did not hesitate owning another one

Originally Posted by jake_spade
How much you got yours? I got mine a couple of years ago battling for bid and won it $175.00, saw it at other auction sited long ago averaging at $100 low. I have no regrets since its a real hard to find item.
Originally Posted by xage
Evil Dead - Anchorbay 2002 (RENTAL ONLY) Release - Rarest R1 *****
Old 06-25-06, 02:45 PM

Damn! Is this really worth that much? I used to work at Blockbuster and I remember we pulled it for sale a week after it was put out for rent. No one had even rented it, so I bought it for like $6. Another example of the lack of sense from corporate.

I found one at a Blockbuster near my cousin's place and did not hesitate owning another one
Old 06-25-06, 03:28 PM
Banned

Is that not a rental copy, suggesting you rented it with the intentions of "losing it"?

Besides, IIRC, all it is as a lighter version of the "Book of the Dead" edition, special feature wise, and the movie, which is still incorrectly formatted.

Last edited by Cinemaddiction; 06-25-06 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-25-06, 05:17 PM
Banned

and the movie, which is still incorrectly formatted.
The matted 1.85:1 transfer on Anchor Bay's "Book of the Dead" is not only director-approved, it's the only uncut release on DVD (all the unmatted versions are missing the lightning bolt animation).
Old 06-25-06, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
Is that not a rental copy, suggesting you rented it with the intentions of "losing it"?

Besides, IIRC, all it is as a lighter version of the "Book of the Dead" edition, special feature wise, and the movie, which is still incorrectly formatted.

yah, I simply followed this short steps shared by Cameron and it worked!

Originally Posted by Cameron
yah, you just have to go back after they have charged your credit card and ask for it. I have told managers in advance that I was going to not return it, and they have held the case back for me.
Old 06-25-06, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I want that Evil Dead DVD so so much. I better just set aside a day to hit all the stores I can or I am just going to go insane.
Old 06-26-06, 12:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
The matted 1.85:1 transfer on Anchor Bay's "Book of the Dead" is not only director-approved, it's the only uncut release on DVD (all the unmatted versions are missing the lightning bolt animation).
Directors approve 1:85:1 transfers for films shot in 1.33:1? I'm lost.

Originally Posted by onebyone
I want that Evil Dead DVD so so much. I better just set aside a day to hit all the stores I can or I am just going to go insane.
You think a singular copy that's been in circulation for 4 years is going to be in good enough shape to rent and "lose"?

Ya know, speaking on behalf of video rental stores, having this exact instance happen at my store, on my shift, that's a pretty shady thing to do. Granted, the associates that "allow" it are equally as backwards, it's just not fair.

Last edited by Cinemaddiction; 06-26-06 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-26-06, 07:00 AM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

You think a singular copy that's been in circulation for 4 years is going to be in good enough shape to rent and "lose"?

Ya know, speaking on behalf of video rental stores, having this exact instance happen at my store, on my shift, that's a pretty shady thing to do. Granted, the associates that "allow" it are equally as backwards, it's just not fair.
Maybe you don't know, but Blockbuster's whole 'No Late Fees' stuff they've been doing basically means you don't get charged late fess up to a week after the movie is due back, and if you keep it longer than that you are automatically charged an amount and you own it. So, this isn't really shady, it goes along with their new policy.
Old 06-26-06, 10:13 AM
Banned

So, for those of you that have done this, what was the charge? Any other movie, I assume you'd be charaged MSRP for it.

Last edited by Cinemaddiction; 06-26-06 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-26-06, 11:33 AM

No I don't think it would be easy to find, and that is one reason I want it terribly. As to condition, I will take what I can get.

And as to it being shady, if I would tell them about it and pay all due fees should I find it one day, I'll be able to sleep nights just fine.
Old 06-26-06, 12:31 PM
Banned

Yeah, all the time. There are too many examples to list where a film is shot in a different aspect ratio than the one used when it's actually completed and shown theatrically. I take it you've never heard of the term "open matte". Your statement makes as much sense as saying "Directors approve black & white transfers for films shot in color? I'm lost." in regards to "The Man Who Wasn't There".

I've never been able to find a reliable source that states what the original theatrical aspect ratio of "The Evil Dead" was but it's highly unlikely that theaters would have projected it at 1.33:1 in the early 80's, it almost certainly would have been matted to 1.85:1 or at least 1.66:1.

For what it's worth, "Donnie Darko" shows the film playing theatrically at 1.85:1 and that pre-dates Anchor Bay's widescreen transfer. Had "Donnie Darko" come out a year later or the "Book of the Dead" edition a year earlier I would have assumed that they just used the widescreen Anchor Bay transfer but the timing doesn't match up. In the span of 2 or 3 years you had two different camps electing to show "The Evil Dead" in 1.85:1.

You can say all you want about "The Evil Dead" in 1.85:1 but the fact of the matter is this: it's not "incorrectly framed". You may not like it that way but Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell (who actually supervised the widescreen transfer) prefer it that way and it was most likely played theatrically that way, too.
Old 06-26-06, 09:30 PM
Banned

So, for those of you that have done this, what was the charge? Any other movie, I assume you'd be charaged MSRP for it.
I was charged $9.99 for it (a lot cheap compare to my original ebay purchase of more than $175.00)
Old 06-28-06, 09:25 PM

Way to go Jake! As long as there is the opportunity,GRAB IT!

Owning all Evil Dead R1 DVD Titles, THIS IS THE HARDEST TO OWN!

Originally Posted by notvandnobeer
Damn! Is this really worth that much? I used to work at Blockbuster and I remember we pulled it for sale a week after it was put out for rent. No one had even rented it, so I bought it for like $6. Another example of the lack of sense from corporate.
Old 06-28-06, 10:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GuruTwo

You can say all you want about "The Evil Dead" in 1.85:1 but the fact of the matter is this: it's not "incorrectly framed". You may not like it that way but Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell (who actually supervised the widescreen transfer) prefer it that way and it was most likely played theatrically that way, too.
The 1.85:1 Anamorphic Aspect Ratio has been authorised by Director Sam Raimi but is a Re-Framed Version based on the OAR of 4:3.
..which is all I ever said, ratio bars over a Fullscreen movie. Shot in 16mm, blown up to Super 35 for screening purposes. That said, I "prefer" the Elite edition, in its intended format, which is also a proper and more appealing presentation of the movie.
Old 07-04-06, 11:08 PM

Im looking forward to see the result of your hunt! Best of luck dude!
Old 07-05-06, 01:04 AM
Banned

You'll notice that the source of the quote that claims that the MAR of "The Evil Dead" is 1.33:1 is DVDcompare, who, surprise surprise, compares DVD's and doesn't really have any track record for providing reputable information on theatrical exhibition of films released 16 years before the debut of the DVD format.

I mean, they use the term "4x3" to describe 1.33:1.

As I said before: nobody knows for sure what the original theatrical aspect ratio of "The Evil Dead" is. "The Evil Dead" companion lists 1.66:1, though it also says Frances McDormand is the wife of Ethan Coen (she's the wife of his brother Joel) and there are several other errors present.

Was "The Evil Dead" SHOT in the aspect ratio of 1.33:1? Yes. Was it shown that way? Probably not.
Old 07-05-06, 02:01 AM

I see you found it here.
Old 07-05-06, 09:44 AM

That's the first one of those I have found on there in awhile. We will see how that works out. Last one I saw ended way too high for me.

Last edited by onebyone; 07-05-06 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-05-06, 03:47 PM
Banned

I stewed on this issue for a while, and ran up to a local Blockbuster to see if they had it. They did, and I rented it. I get the receipt, and while my first intentions were to return it, the receipt read "Own it 7/20/06 for just $15.00 more!".

..and if Blockbuster's giving me the green light, I guess I'll keep it after all...and the other copy at the other store I'm getting later tonight.
Old 07-05-06, 04:27 PM

I stewed on this issue for a while, and ran up to a local Blockbuster to see if they had it. They did, and I rented it. I get the receipt, and while my first intentions were to return it, the receipt read "Own it 7/20/06 for just $15.00 more!".

..and if Blockbuster's giving me the green light, I guess I'll keep it after all...and the other copy at the other store I'm getting later tonight.
I hate you I mean congrats! They are practically asking you to take it. I went to 5 different stores over the weekend, and I didn't find a one. In fact, some of them didn't have an Evil Dead dvd in the whole place. Sigh.
Old 07-05-06, 04:46 PM
Banned

Well, I rented it initially to see what was included on the DVD, keeping the whole rarity issue in the back of my mind, then when I looked at the receipt, the way it was worded, it pretty much encouraged someone to keep it and pay for it later. Why? I don't know, because with that in mind, I could walk into Blockbuster, rent all their OOP/rare discs, and never be seen from again, and they wouldn't care.
Old 07-05-06, 07:16 PM

I could walk into Blockbuster, rent all their OOP/rare discs, and never be seen from again, and they wouldn't care.
Pretty much like that.. just make sure you were able to get the packaging (and inserts that comes with it)

One exclusion that comes into mind is the recalled "PG" Swampthing release with UPC: 027616851529 which includes a 4page booklet. That was recalled from all Blockbuster outlet.

Last edited by xage; 07-05-06 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 08:09 PM
Banned

Neither one of them had the inserts, I never really expected them to after being in circulation since March of '02. The first copy I got does have the cover art, and the second, she told me to come back in a week and grab it, which is when the DVD is due, but won't be returned, lol.
Old 07-05-06, 09:35 PM
Suspended

is the disc any different than the BOTD version?

or just the sleeve, i know at least 4 stores with this Cover Art version.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.