Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Collective list of defective DVDs and further information

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Collective list of defective DVDs and further information

Old 07-06-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JohnDG
Anybody ever had a problem with the soundtrack going bad on "Apocalypse Now Redux?"

I've verified that the receiver and DVD player settings are correct with a number of other DVDs. And I remember playing this DVD once before when I first purchased the DVD and the sound was fine. Menu and trailer items play fine: main feature has no sound.

jdg
Just checked mine and it is fine (played it when I first get it, over a year ago). Check your DVD manufacturer to see if there are firmware upgrades - there may be some kind of compatability problem. Also, check to see if the disc plays on other players, if you have access to any.
Old 07-17-05, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just before the 2-disc Apollo 13 came out, I put my old one in to view it so I can sell it. I've watched it a few times before. Now on all my dvd players, it starts reading the disc and then stops saying no disc. My Mission to Mars then did the same thing. I took both to a friends house and it says the same thing on his player.
Old 10-01-05, 05:25 PM

Apollo 13 is a Universal Disc, I am having the same problem with Psycho, I put it my dvd pler the other day and it does the same thing, looks like there is a trend with universal and crappy discs.

B.
Old 10-07-05, 08:20 PM

The Bounty

I just bought a copy of "The Bounty" with Anthony Hopkins. In Chapter 14 (0:59:00 approximately) the DVD freezes or skips over about 20 minutes worth of the film. Also, the navigation menu is non-functional. I got a replacement copy from the seller and the same thing happens. I'm not sure if this is just on my DVD player or there is a bad pressing out there of this movie. Just an FYI for you all.
Old 10-31-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A couple of months ago, I was given a Back To The Future Erroneous Version

Well I followed the info regarding the replacement for a corrective version

and it still works!

Old 10-31-05, 01:42 PM
Cool New Member

I just called today.. and the lady picked up and read all the information like a machine.... took my address and said ill get it in 2 to 3 weeks max.

I hadnt called because i thought this was over. I guess not.
Old 12-30-05, 04:00 PM

Defective Warner (old) titles

I have two Warner Brothers titles that have failed.

1. The American President (C2550): This is a movie that we watch about once a month. I pulled it out about three weeks ago and found that the entire second layer plays with pixalation and pauses. Problems start at chapter 19 (time code 64:05) and continues until the end of the disc. (Purchased: Oct. 30, 2002)

2. Devil's Advocate (15090): Another frequently watched disc (3-4 times/year). Now the disc won't even start up. This is a real heartbreaker as it is the recalled version with the unaltered "non-Ex Nihilo" sculpture and was a tough find for me three years ago.

Both DVD's vave played perfectly in the past. Both of these have been tested on multiple players. Both show no visible signs of defects.

RATS!

Last edited by DiscGuy; 12-30-05 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-05-06, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LotusEater79
I just watched The Godfather DVD and there seems to be a problem with the audio at 1:38:50 into the movie that lasts for about a minute and a half. Has anyone experienced or heard of a problem?
Are you talking about the odd scratchy sound in the background? I am thinking it was some sort of ambient sound effect added in when it was remastered from the original mono to DD 5.1 - you can hear it in the French 2 channel mix but it is much more subdued, seems to sound like locusts or cicadas.
Old 01-05-06, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the thundercats problem and the star wars new hope problems should be listed...
Old 01-14-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Star Trek Voyager Season 5 Disc 5 "The Disease" episode - pixellation and freezing between 12-27 minutes; a disc cleaning didn't help. Same problem on different players. Anybody experience this?
Old 01-17-06, 08:59 AM

Audio Problem with "Are You Being Served?" DVD

When playing the last episode ("Grounds for Divorce") on volume 12 of the "Are You Being Served?" box set, the audio stutters badly during the theme song at the beginning (the video continues to play normally). Cleaning the disc had no effect on the problem.
Old 01-24-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i just purchased a copy of carlito's way ultimate edition from best buy 2 for $20 sale. first copy began freezing/skipping during chapter 13 and continued through the rest of the disc. repeatable on several dvd players. returned for a new copy and this one is even worse. it's a shame since it is such a fantastic movie and beautiful transfer. i don't know if another exchange will even help since i will probably wind up with another copy with the same problems. anybody else have any problems with this title? is this just another case of a problematic universal double sided dvd? my players usually play anything i throw at them including many of the other questionable universal double sided dvds (monster legacy, alfred hitchcock presents etc.) i wish they would have made this a regular 2 disc presentation cause it really ruined this movie for me (i had never seen it before).
Old 07-11-07, 06:41 PM
RDC

Legally Blonde & Legally Blonde 2 set

Legally Blonde 2 is fine, but Legally Blonde 1 is missing extra features! Apparently someone put the wrong disc in this package. MGM will NOT take back the defective garbage, so I'll either have to go out and buy another one or have someone else return it for me. This is the absolute WORST example of customer service. I'll never buy anything from MGM, Fox or any of their affiliates if I can help it. I wouldn't have bought Legally Blonde from them if I'd known they had such a bad attitude.
Old 09-07-07, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can anybody give some pointers to what was wrong with the original release of "Cruel Intentions" and how you can tell if you have a "fixed" copy? I thought I had bought mine when it first came out and never got around to opening it. I checked it against some copies in the store the other day and the cover has changed (which happens a lot with Sony titles) by the UPC hadn't (also a common problem). I thought that the UPC or the 5-digit product number had been changed on the "fixed" release.

I've found mention that the disc was fixed on the internet but no mention of determining how to tell which disc was the bad one.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 09-08-07, 12:35 PM
Banned

this deserves to be a sticky
Old 09-11-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just purchased The Dead Zone Season 5 set recently and have finally watched it all.

I did observe what appears to be a mastering defect, similar to Season 3, just in Episode 11 (season finale). At 11:22 into the episode, as Johnny enters the vision about watching the news, for about 15 frames (half a second), the aspect ratio increases slightly (picture height shortens) AND the white dotted/dashed line appears at the top of the "widescreen" portion of the image. The same issue appears again at 34:25 for about 20 frames, in the middle of the vision with the hunting party.

I am watching it in widescreen on a non-HD 4:3 TV with a Sony DVP-NS775V using S-Video cables. I will have to watch it again on my widescreen Samsung HDTV in progressive scan to see if the same issue appears there.

Anyone else experience this or can verify on their setup?
Old 10-02-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've tried digging around a bit here in DVD talk and on Google, and even the best possible reference in Google brings me back to this thread.

I seem to recall reading (and hell...witnessing) that Monty Python's The Meaning of Life had a defect in it....specifically the video seems to have problems. The movie plays, but it would seem to...not pixelate...delineate? Is that even a word? Laff...

Anyways, I don't seem to find anything about it on Google, and the only Python flick I see on this list is for Holy Grail.

Am I wrong on this? I should clarify the 2-disc edition when it was originally released.
Old 10-08-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was going to finally do an update on this, but it's not letting me update my original post. Keeps saying I need to fill out the subject and message, no matter what I do to it. So I will start a new one to replace this with all the updates. It'll take awhile though, if I remember. Last time I said this was a few years ago heh.

... figured out the post is too long, so I'll be sure to reserve some additional space on the new thread.

Last edited by V-ism; 10-08-07 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-08-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by V-ism
I was going to finally do an update on this, but it's not letting me update my original post. Keeps saying I need to fill out the subject and message, no matter what I do to it. So I will start a new one to replace this with all the updates. It'll take awhile though, if I remember. Last time I said this was a few years ago heh.
Great idea. Can't wait!
Old 10-08-07, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by harpo787
I've tried digging around a bit here in DVD talk and on Google, and even the best possible reference in Google brings me back to this thread.

I seem to recall reading (and hell...witnessing) that Monty Python's The Meaning of Life had a defect in it....specifically the video seems to have problems. The movie plays, but it would seem to...not pixelate...delineate? Is that even a word? Laff...

Anyways, I don't seem to find anything about it on Google, and the only Python flick I see on this list is for Holy Grail.

Am I wrong on this? I should clarify the 2-disc edition when it was originally released.
You are correct. There was a problem with the first printing.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=315147
Old 10-08-07, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starecase
You are correct. There was a problem with the first printing.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=315147

Thanks! I thought I was losing my mind (which I may still be doing anyway)! I tried searching in here with no luck; then, I went and googled for it, but nothing. Just a few minutes ago I did manage to find something through ask.com and was coming back here to just confirm my suspicions. It would seem that the defect was with the 2 disc edition (first printing as you said), apparently an "authoring" problem that caused rather jagged lines of motion throughout the film anytime there was motion.

The whole reason for this "quest" is because I purchased the single disc edition just last week, thinking that there was some sort of trouble. I haven't opened it yet, having previously found no information to confirm what I was thinking.

Thanks again!
Old 10-08-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To be continued here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?p=8197696
Old 02-24-09, 11:46 PM

Re: Collective list of defective DVDs and further information

Hello Everyone,

I am reporting that I got some defective DVD's and now its too late to return them to Blockbuster. The complete first season "The dukes of hazzard".
Not the new one but the old TV show. The video is great, but the sound is terrible,cant even hear the actors talking.

I dont know what I am going to do with them, wondering if there is a place .
that fixes defective dvd's, if not might have to write it off on my taxes.

Also have the complete second season "the dukes of hazzard" same problem like before. The video works great, but the sound is terrible,cant even hear the actors talking.

I have cleaned them, and still the same problem. They don't have any scratches, so if anyone can help me please contact me

I guess ill never buy another "the dukes of hazzard"

I have seen the new ones, and i still like the old ones better

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This whole post has been taking care of and is closed. The company is going to replace all disc, and Im going to get new replaced disc huray....sorry I posted and wasted people's time on this matter.

bye

Last edited by brockisit; 02-26-09 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-25-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Re: Collective list of defective DVDs and further information

You might want to ask in the new thread. The link is in the post just above yours.