Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Old 01-14-16, 06:13 PM   #1

Is there anything inside Warner/New Line snapcase DVDs besides the chapter insert?

Is there anything inside Warner/New Line snapcase DVDs besides the chapter insert? I'm asking this because I once saw a Warner Home Video/New Line Home Video catalog at my grandpa's house.
Old 01-14-16, 07:14 PM   #2
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: Is there anything inside Warner/New Line snapcase DVDs besides the chapter insert

Some had catalogs.
Old 01-14-16, 07:21 PM   #3

Re: Is there anything inside Warner/New Line snapcase DVDs besides the chapter insert

What movies had catalogs??
Old 01-15-16, 06:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella524 View Post
What movies had catalogs??
My memory isn't nearly that good! Ask Alan.
Old 01-15-16, 09:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
My memory isn't nearly that good! Ask Alan.
Who is Alan, and what is his profile name?
Old 01-15-16, 10:02 AM   #6
DVD Talk Hero

Just to be clear, we're talking about the ancient snapcases with the cardboard cover, right? Because many of those didn't have inserts because they had the chapter lists printed on the inside cover. I just checked my copy of Devil's Advocate, and it had the chapter list on the inside cover and a WB catalog stuffed inside.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 01-15-16, 10:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Just to be clear, we're talking about the ancient snapcases with the cardboard cover, right? Because many of those didn't have inserts because they had the chapter lists printed on the inside cover. I just checked my copy of Devil's Advocate, and it had the chapter list on the inside cover and a WB catalog stuffed inside.
Picture, please??
Old 01-15-16, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
I checked EVERY DVD copy of Devil's Advocate on eBay, and none of them have the catalog. Maybe you can send the catalog to me.

Last edited by Giles; 01-18-16 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-17-16, 10:28 PM   #9

Went thru some my old snapper cases for you, Gremlins had what I would call a catalog. It's a offer to get a Free DVD Movie (Buy 5 get one for free), that has a list of other Warner Brothers, New Line, and HBO Home Video titles. You had to cutout the Proof Of Purchase of five movies from the list, and mail it in with $1.79. It expired on 3/31/01.
Old 01-18-16, 08:20 AM   #10

Kelsey, probably not a good idea to post your address on the Internet.
Old 01-18-16, 01:59 PM   #11
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Is there anything inside Warner/New Line snapcase DVDs besides the chapter insert? I'm asking this because I once saw a Warner Home Video/New Line Home Video catalog at my grandpa's house.
Quote:
Picture, please??
Here's a few pics (gave me a chance to try out the scanner that I've never used on the printer I got a few months back).

I knew I had one catalog loose in my DVD closet, and when I went to get it I looked through a few more snapper cases. Here's what I found:

This first one is just a one page insert I found in L.A. Confidential (Package design is copyrighted 1998).

The second one is the loose catalog I had (so I don't know which DVD it was packaged with). The free DVD offer expired on 1/31/2000.

This last one is the one bobert3 mentioned (with the free DVD offer expiring on 3/31/01). I found this one inside The Maltese Falcon (Package artwork copyright 2000).

Hope this helps you identify the one you saw.

TV: '16|Academy Award: '16|Action: '17|Drive-in: '17|MYOC: '17|Historical: '17|Sci-Fi/Fantasy: '17|Animation: '17|Criterion: '15|Horror: '17|Comedy: '16|Holiday: '16

Last edited by Dimension X; 01-18-16 at 03:59 PM. Reason: corrected date on third pic
Old 01-24-16, 11:07 AM   #12
DVD Talk Reviewer

There was one earlier "catalog" before that silver one, I'll have to post pictures when I'm more awake. Only the very first Warner titles had that region code map. The first MGM DVDs that were in snapper cases had their own catalog too. Discs from Image had a sheet explaining the different sound formats on DVDs. The first Warner DVDs all had that silver sticker on the front with a list of special features like "Interactive Menus" and "Production Notes"- I cut out and saved all of those, will try to scan some of those too. When that "buy 4 get one free" offer was out, I got the forms and proof-of-purchase tabs from the cases that were in rental stores, as I didn't want to mess up my own

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 01-24-16, 03:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
There was one earlier "catalog" before that silver one, I'll have to post pictures when I'm more awake. Only the very first Warner titles had that region code map. The first MGM DVDs that were in snapper cases had their own catalog too. Discs from Image had a sheet explaining the different sound formats on DVDs. The first Warner DVDs all had that silver sticker on the front with a list of special features like "Interactive Menus" and "Production Notes"- I cut out and saved all of those, will try to scan some of those too. When that "buy 4 get one free" offer was out, I got the forms and proof-of-purchase tabs from the cases that were in rental stores, as I didn't want to mess up my own
Alan, may you please the pictures for me?? Thanks.
Old 02-04-16, 04:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Alan, may you please post the pictures on this thread? Thanks.
Old 02-04-16, 05:08 PM   #15
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Alan, may you please post the pictures on this thread? Thanks.
Give him time. It's only been a week and a half.

While you're waiting, take a week or two to read this thread.

TV: '16|Academy Award: '16|Action: '17|Drive-in: '17|MYOC: '17|Historical: '17|Sci-Fi/Fantasy: '17|Animation: '17|Criterion: '15|Horror: '17|Comedy: '16|Holiday: '16
Old 03-21-16, 02:02 PM   #16
DVD Talk Hero

The Devil's Advocate

Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 03-30-16, 10:42 AM   #17

Quote:
The Devil's Advocate
My dad ordered me a copy of this movie, and it has the same exact catalog.
Old 04-23-16, 09:21 PM   #18
DVD Talk Reviewer

Sealed snapper-case with the WB "hype sticker": http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prince-Purpl...YAAOSwkEVXGVDb

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 05-23-16, 01:42 PM   #19

Quote:
The catalog I saw at my grandpa's house was black, and it had the Warner Home Video, New Line Home Video, and the HBO Home Video logos. Have you seen that catalog, and will you take a picture of that catalog, if you have that one?