Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

What's the point of using different artwork for each format a movie is released on?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

What's the point of using different artwork for each format a movie is released on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-13, 08:30 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

As people here know, when a major movie is released on DVD and Blu-ray now, it is not uncommon for each format to have its own unique cover artwork. For example, the upcoming release of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition has different cover artwork for the DVD, Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D editions of the film:

Considering most people are only going to buy one version of the film, why do movie studios now seem to think that each format needs its own unique cover artwork?

Last edited by Sub-Zero; 08-01-13 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-01-13, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the point of using different artwork for each format a movie is released o

I don't know if this is the reason... but there are people who will buy all the versions just because of the different cover art. Major fans and hardcore collectors for the most part.
Old 08-02-13, 11:34 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts
Re: What's the point of using different artwork for each format a movie is released o

A second good answer is because it may help avoid the confusion of people buying the wrong version.
Old 08-03-13, 07:30 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the replies and good points and I agree about perhaps marketing toward collectors and hardcore fans, as well as trying to help people avoid buying the movie on the wrong format.