Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

The Hobbit (1977) Warner amary case

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Old 10-23-12, 07:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can anyone please tell me if the Warner Hobbit DVD release from 2001 which originally came in a snapper case was replaced by an Amary version in the US at a later date?

I bought one recently on Amazon UK and was expecting the old style Warner snapper case, instead it came in a clear amary, with double sided artwork.

It was also factory sealed which aroused suspicion to whether it was a genuine Warner relase.

Thanks
Old 10-23-12, 11:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
Re: The Hobbit (1977) Warner amary case

I've only ever seen in it a snapper, but that probably doesn't mean a whole lot.
Old 10-23-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I'm not certain, but I feel like I've seen the animated Lord of the Rings in a keepcase, so it's not unreasonable to think it might have been re-issued.

All the time during the Jackson films, I kept thinking it would be a great time to re-release the animated trilogy in a nice boxset, and The Hobbit especially needs a re-do since some of the audio FX are missing.
Old 10-24-12, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You bought it from Amazon UK, and it was still a region 1 disk?

I recently bought a Warner DVD from Australia. While the US disk was a snapper, the region 4 disk was packaged just as you describe, in a clear Amaray case with artwork and a chapter list on the inside.
Old 10-24-12, 02:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah,

I bought it from a 3rd party seller on Amazon UK. Came just as you described, in a clear amary with chapter list in the inside.

It was also in a factory seal which aroused my suspicion it was bogus as it's been oop for a while, I have seen plenty of 2nd hand/refurbished CDs, dvds etc in the same factory seal in local pound stores.

Having bought thousands of dvds over the years, something about it just did not feel right.
Old 10-26-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Care to post any pics? Sometimes we can get an idea by how it looks.