DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Making EXACT Dvd Covers?

Old 06-23-11, 07:40 PM

Making EXACT Dvd Covers?

Greetings,

This is my first post! And should be just one of many in my research.
My Question may be vague, But I want to know if it is even possible to re-create the look of real movie covers.

I have tried out some gloss inserts and at first, appeared amazing.
But when lined up against the real thing, you can see the text just isn't as crisp. Am I missing anything? Is there a more specific and realistic paper to be used, or perhaps a Laser printer is only capable of this..

Any knowledge, appreciated!
Old 06-24-11, 03:23 PM

Re: Making EXACT Dvd Covers?

Gah... BUMP!
Old 06-24-11, 04:05 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

My only advice is to read through this forum, especially the stickied official thread.

Also, not everybody reads the forum everyday, so perhaps wait a few days minimum before bumping.
Old 06-25-11, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The industry likely uses the same resolution of 300dpi, 3240 wide x 2175 high.
If the fine legal text at the bottom of the back cover is crisp and readable, then your resolution is probably good.

I used to think bright white matte paper was good, but now it looks like a muddy dull mess to me.

For me, Inkjet Glossy photo paper looks as good as the real covers - but where to buy it Legal-sized?
Blu-ray covers are smaller, so fit nicely onto a letter-sized glossy sheet, which are easy to come by.

Last edited by Disc-Flipper; 06-25-11 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-24-11, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

First off, use ultra premium glossy photo paper. It's more expensive, but it's the best you're gonna get at the consumer level. It also stands up against fading a lot longer than the cheaper stuff. Second, you need a really good photo printer. I've printed covers with five or six different printers and some print noticeably sharper than others. My current printer is an Epson Stylus Photo R380 and it prints amazingly sharp covers. The downside is that it uses a lot of ink and the ink cartridges ain't cheap. It's also important to get the right paper for the right printer. The safe bet is to stick with the same brand. Sam's Club sells this brand called Ilford Galerie that works with my Epson brilliantly, but it took a little trial and error to figure that out. One last thing to consider if you're not getting really sharp fine text printing - is your source material good? If you're printing a scanned cover, then there's no way you're gonna match a professional print. The studios print their covers from uncompressed master graphic files using industrial printing presses. A scan or a downloaded cover with jpeg compression artifacts just isn't that clean to start with.
Old 08-24-11, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper View Post
For me, Inkjet Glossy photo paper looks as good as the real covers - but where to buy it Legal-sized?
Blu-ray covers are smaller, so fit nicely onto a letter-sized glossy sheet, which are easy to come by.
You can print a single-sized (3240 x 2175) DVD cover on a letter-sized sheet of photo paper as long as your printer supports borderless printing. On mine the default print margins for the top and bottom of the page are 0.167", but the printer will accomodate a margin as small as 0.117" which fits the entire cover onto the page without resizing or cutting anything off. For bigger covers, I buy Ledger-sized (11 x 17") photo paper and cut them into legal-sized pieces. You can also buy the bigger Super A3/Super B (13 x 19") photo paper, cut 2" off the wide side and then cut the remaining sheet in half to derive two 8.5 x 13" sheets. That's actually the most cost-effective option of the two.