DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Walmart hates slipcovers...

Old 09-22-09, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walmart hates slipcovers...

I know it's not only Walmart, but its becoming more and more obvious that they think its sooooo funny to put the most annoyingly hard to get off stickers on their dvds as possible. I just picked up Observe and Report on blu ray and it had a sticker on it...and it came off in a bout a million pieces and also left a nice tear in the cover...Why can't they put easily removed stickers on the case? Or put the damn sticker on the plastic? That sticker serves no purpose...it just says walmart and the date it came out...I emaled Warner and asked about getting a slip cover...regrettably they said there was nothing they can do, but that the stickers are not supposed to be put on the slip cover in the first place and are to be put on the plastic. I should have just left the stupid sticker alone...I am so mad i could...i dont know...do somethin.
Old 09-23-09, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Walmart hates slipcovers...

before you peel, spray it heavily with WD-40
Old 09-23-09, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

I recommend this stuff:

I've had the same bottle forever, since a little of it goes a long way, and it works great. I've taken a ton of stickers off both slipcovers and cases. Piece of advice, though...if you're going to use something like this to get a sticker off a case, make sure you take the insert out first, and wipe the excess off thoroughly before putting it back in.

Last edited by The Infidel; 09-23-09 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-23-09, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrFleharty
I emaled Warner and asked about getting a slip cover...regrettably they said there was nothing they can do
what??? you ACTUALLY received an email answer from warner!!??

anyhow, you are right about these stickers, they often destroy the sleeve
when taken off. as there are also stickers which come off really easily, maybe its a cost issue because the bad stickers they use are probably cheaper!?
Old 09-23-09, 11:22 AM

There is a product made by elmers glue that can remove sticker residue quite easily, and there is also a something called goo gone that does the same thing.
Old 09-23-09, 11:26 AM
Banned

Even better idea... STUDIOS NEED TO STOP MAKING SLIP COVERS! They are a waist of paper and pointless. 95% of the time they are EXACTLY the same as the artwork underneath. They serve no purpose whatsoever. I am very much ani-slipcover. LOL! I do not throw mine away or anything. If the DVD comes with one it stays on, but I would much rather never see one again on any future purchases!
Old 09-23-09, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the purpose they serve is the extra fun bonus for dvd collectors.
looks better than just some plain boring plastic amaray case.
then again reading your fanatic comment i would find telling you how
cool some slipcovers are even more useless than you find slipsleeves....

i would however agree that they are wasted with people like you and
since you keep them anyway one person who actually enjoys them
might not get one anymore.
rather than bitching and being a hater, why don`t you give them
to someone who enjoys them and is very happy??
i always love posts how much something sucks when people actually
forget that someone might be happy with such gimmicks.
live and let live.
what studios could do however is sell sleeves seperately via their sites, so
that people desperate for sleeves can purchase and people like you don`t have to worry.

Last edited by philip74; 09-23-09 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-23-09, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by philip74
the purpose they serve is the extra fun bonus for dvd collectors.
looks better than just some plain boring plastic amaray case.
then again reading your fanatic comment i would find telling you how
cool some slipcovers are even more useless than you find slipsleeves....

i would however agree that they are wasted with people like you and
since you keep them anyway one person who actually enjoys them
might not get one anymore.
rather than bitching and being a hater, why don`t you give them
to someone who enjoys them and is very happy??
i always love posts how much something sucks when people actually
forget that someone might be happy with such gimmicks.
live and let live.
what studios could do however is sell sleeves seperately via their sites, so
that people desperate for sleeves can purchase and people like you don`t have to worry.
Look. If they were some super cool exciting thing I could see the gimmick in them. And don't get me wrong... sometimes they are pretty cool. I have some pretty neat 3D ones and one that lights up and what not. I understand those. But again... 95% of the time they are exactly or almost exactly the same as the artwork underneath. Thus making that slipcover completely pointless. A slipcover should be something unique or not there at all.
And give them away? Never! It is part of the DVD it came with. As a collector even if a DVD comes with a slipcover that I'm not happy with I would never part from it. To me that would be an incomplete purchase. Just as bad in my eyes as buying only the first disc from a two disc set or something.
And I disagree with them looking better than a standard amaray cases. When looking at my DVDs all lined up I prefer the spots (very few where a box set or slip cover doesn't interfere) where all I see are just amaray cases case. Looks cleaner.
Though I musty say I get a HUGE laugh out of the few DVDs I have that come with those new "Recycling logos" stamped into the insides but then come with a slip cover thus defeating the entire purpose of saving product. LOL!

Last edited by dkedvd; 09-23-09 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-23-09, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by dkedvd
Look. If they were some super cool exciting thing I could see the gimmick in them. And don't get me wrong... sometimes they are pretty cool. I have some pretty neat 3D ones and one that lights up and what not. I understand those. But again... 95% of the time they are exactly or almost exactly the same as the artwork underneath. Thus making that slipcover completely pointless. A slipcover should be something unique or not there at all.
And give them away? Never! It is part of the DVD it came with. As a collector even if a DVD comes with a slipcover that I'm not happy with I would never part from it. To me that would be an incomplete purchase. Just as bad in my eyes as buying only the first disc from a two disc set or something.
And I disagree with them looking better than a standard amaray cases. When looking at my DVDs all lined up I prefer the spots (very few where a box set or slip cover doesn't interfere) where all I see are just amaray cases case. Looks cleaner.
Though I musty say I get a HUGE laugh out of the few DVDs I have that come with those new "Recycling logos" stamped into the insides but then come with a slip cover thus defeating the entire purpose of saving product. LOL!

an example of a slipcovered dvd with the recycling that I have is Quantum of Solace...I never really thought of the irony...
Old 09-24-09, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Walmart isnt the only one. seems like every major retailer does this. Some stickers come off easily. Some are a real bitch. I personally dont really care, as I am sort of apathetic towards slip covers. Most of them are useless as they are exactly the same as the cover in the case. A few are nice, as they offer new art.
Old 09-30-09, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Put a price tag on a slipcover, I don't buy it- I'll either order it online or just not buy it at all. Simple as that. Everyone responsible has to be told this is NOT acceptable- they need to shrinkwrap the WHOLE package! This is the absolute WORST trend in DVD packaging and I'm disgusted that it's lasted this long.
Old 10-01-09, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Try using a hairdryer before using Goo Gone. Most of the time, it heats the glue enough that you can peel the sticker off without tearing anything. Just go slowly and reheat if it sticks again. Any excess glue you can easily remove with Goo Gone.
Old 10-30-09, 02:04 PM

I personally like slipcovers because I got a pretty big family and I hate people putting their pee hands all over my shit. However I hate the hole in the back where the upc code is. Damn I miss 2003.

To get the damn sticker off, I usually use my fingernails, pick off one corner and gently peel it by rolling it off with my thumb. If there's any excess gunk left behind, I simply put the sticker back on then yank it off and it usaull works. Try that next time!

Last edited by Dragon Lee; 10-30-09 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-30-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Lee
I personally like slipcovers because I got a pretty big family and I hate people putting their pee hands all over my shit. However I hate the hole in the back where the upc code is. Damn I miss 2003.
You should have your family members wash their hands after they use the bathroom, and handle your duty.