Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Indy IV Steelbook Spine Cracking

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I have bought precisely one Steelbook so far, and it was Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which I found at FYE new for a few bucks less than the regular 2-disc release. Anyway, I've only opened it a few times and I discovered the last time I had it opened that the spine has begun cracking! Is this normal for Steelbooks? Is there some way of repairing it?
Old 06-01-09, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Indy IV Steelbook Spine Cracking

I own around 80+ Steelbooks, so far it hasn't happened to me yet, I belive you can take it back for a better copy, the FYI people are nice this way, I had a copy of the Iron Man Steelbook that was scratched, a month after I got it I took it back with the receipt, and got a pristine copy.

And how do you mean cracked', like the metal strip on spine is coming off or just cracked?
Old 06-01-09, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im guessing its the plastic insides that is cracking/splitting? prolly a manufacturing error or a result of some kind of abuse (extreme heat and cold, shock, opened "too far", etc).

if this is the case, i dont think there is a simple way of repairing it. like willo mentioned, a replacement would prolly be the best way to go. good luck
Old 06-01-09, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're talking about the inner plastic case, get a hot glue then repair it. Or if is outer metal case, just return it back for replacement.
Old 06-02-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you can picture the spine, then there is an actual crack that starts at the top of the seam between it and the back cover that runs down 2/3-3/4 of the way down. It's mostly along the seam, but it does cross into the spine proper a little. I bought the DVD in, oh, March? I doubt I still have the receipt. I know it's a store exclusive, but I can't imagine them being too cooperative at this point. I might give it a go, though; at worst, I'll end up with the same thing I already have.
Old 06-03-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I'd try it. Tell them you dont have the receipt, and would like to exchange for the same thing. Since it was a store exclusive, they know it came from FYE. I know my FYE still had copies fo this left last time I was there.
Old 06-05-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I took it back to FYE. I explained that I had recently bought it there (as an exclusive) and demonstrated that the case is damaged in such a way that can't be seen when closed. The guy handled it--practically pulling it to demonstrate for himself that it was, in fact, cracked, and then informed me, "No, I don't think this is something they would take back." I considered further dispute, but then I decided I wasn't going to get anywhere with this guy anyway. Maybe I'll dash off an e-mail to their customer service representatives and see if that can get this replaced.
Old 06-06-09, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
...Maybe I'll dash off an e-mail to their customer service representatives and see if that can get this replaced.
please let us know if you get any assistance with fye customer service. or rather, if you can find any!