Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Old DVD Junkie new to steelbooks

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-08, 10:36 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, long time lurker, fresh convert and first time poster.

I actually found this place because of a member who posted that had the super rare Apocalypse Now 3-disc Circuit City edition which I bought.

I was wondering where I can information on upcoming releases, specifically the following editions, in order of importance:

1st - Steelbooks (of course)
Tied for 2nd - Store-Exclusive Editions i.e. Transformers Target Exclusive with the transforming case or 300 Best Buy Exclusive with the Spartan Helmet (Is there such a thing as store-exclusive steelbooks?)
Tied for 2nd - Limited/Collector Editions i.e. JFK - Director's Cut - Ultimate Collector's Edition

The only site I've found so far is DVD Aficionado, but I'm not sure if I can rely solely on that site (i.e. how updated are they and how far ahead do they get information about upcoming and future releases and preorders) and so I'm wondering if there's any site specific to detailing upcoming steelbook and store-exclusive releases or someplace where you guys get this kind of information?

I've deduced that F.Y.E. seems to be the place where most of the steelbooks are exclusively released and I'm guessing Futureshop.ca is in the same category as F.Y.E.? I know that Canada is R1 just like the US is, but are the cases the same between the US and Canada as well because I wanted to get 1 or 2 steelbooks that they have if they are the same as the US version. Do these guys have annoucements about steelbooks?

Lastly, what's the story with the Dark Knight steelbook? I keep seeing references to it, but I think it's in the UK, and not here? I'm not exactly sure.

Sorry for the long post, but I figure its best to put all my questions into one post. I'm looking forward to sharing in the excitement that is steelbooks and hunting for OOP or hard to find ones
Old 10-02-08, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For SteelBooks, I would start here:

SteelBook Thread
Old 10-02-08, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey warrior!

if you are the dvd-nerd we all hope you to be or become, you have already taken this advice: spend a good 3 hours or so looking through this forum at whatever tickles your fancy. a lot of your answers will become crystal. welcome
Old 10-02-08, 11:54 AM

Welcome...
I was just like you trying to find the best place for information..Guess What..
You have found it. I check DVDtalk's Forum on a daily basis. It's got all the information you need. Some of the guys and gals have really put alot of contribution to this website. I always refer to these guys as my connection. I don't even know a single person here, but I have grown to feel as if they are my friends. You see them everywhere to the bargains, HD, and covers and cases...again welcome to a group of friends who love the industry.
Old 10-02-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like Howwon said, check out the steelbooks thread. As for US vs Canada covers, about 75% of the time, they are the same, some might have French writing on the Canadian ones. Some are released exclusive to Canada and have no US comparable releases. The one steelbook that had a different US vs Canada cover was Sex And The City (pink in US, black in Canada).

As for the Dark Knight steelbook it is available for pre-order at your local FYE/TWEC/Suncoast/Sam Goody/Coconuts/Wherehouse.

Not long ago I was a newbie like you and taking some time to read the entire steelbook threads on here really helped make many things crystal clear. So that would be a good place to start

Welcome, Good luck, and happy SteelBook collecting!
Old 10-04-08, 01:52 AM

Ha, now I know why scott told you what he told you in the other thread. It might be best to read as much as possible, and not open up so many threads on what is essentially the same topic: SteelBook info.

Yeah, you just hit the jackpot for current news on new releases, great bargains, and the place to find oop stuff. Check the Bargains Forum for news on prices for upcoming releases and sales, especially Speedy's Best Buy posts. The SteelBook threads (all 3 of the Definitive List Threads) is the place to start to get caught up on SteelBooks, and the International SteelBook thread will open your eyes to what is overseas.

As far as I know, the best source for upcoming SteelBooks is on forums from fellow collectors. There might be a few sites better than others, but the one you are on now has a strong following of SteelBook collectors, so you are in good hands here.

Beowulf also had French on the Canadian cover, while the US did not. Snausages is correct though in that most of the R1 SteelBooks, if they are available in both the US and Canada, are identical except in back paper insert with UPC #'s or other little things like different stickers on the shrinkwrap. Open them both up, and you can't tell the difference between them.

Some SteelBooks are indeed Store/Chain Exclusives, and the older ones are harder to find now anyway. Be careful also as some SteelBooks initially came out as a SteelBook with the first pressing, but then got converted to a standard case thereafter. Boondock Saints, Robocop, and Quiet Earth are some examples.

The Target Exclusive Optimus Prime Case is gone from most places, but you could probably find it here in the Exchange Forum. I did see a used copy at Wherehouse Music, but they wanted like $44.99 for it. The Best Buy 300 w/ helmet is hard to come by now also, but Amazon might have a few, there's always EBay, and you might get lucky here on the Exchange Forum.

Welcome to the little familia man!
Old 10-04-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Warrior1986

I actually found this place because of a member who posted that had the super rare Apocalypse Now 3-disc Circuit City edition which I bought.
I agree with you-it was one of those 1st hr,1st day Sold Out DVD exclusives!.. If you dont mind how much you got it?
Old 10-04-08, 01:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by xage
I agree with you-it was one of those 1st hr,1st day Sold Out DVD exclusives!.. If you dont mind how much you got it?
i didn't even know the Apocalyse Now from CC i had was that rare...
Old 10-04-08, 09:24 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I may be new to the scene, but I've already got a few, and quite a number on the way. I'll share what I've got once everything is in hand, and that picture will probably be the last post in the thread, as I intend to follow the custom of keeping everything in the large steelbook thread

Originally Posted by mr. b_dvd
Beowulf also had French on the Canadian cover, while the US did not. Snausages is correct though in that most of the R1 SteelBooks, if they are available in both the US and Canada, are identical except in back paper insert with UPC #'s or other little things like different stickers on the shrinkwrap. Open them both up, and you can't tell the difference between them.
This is good to know, because I shyed away from looking at any of the releases in Canada, but now I won't. I so BADLY want the 300 steelbook, but I haven't found it anywhere yet.

But is it true that Futureshop only ships within Canada and not to the US? Is there anyway to get in on the Futureshop exclusives, like for instance, has it been done in the past where a member or 2 on this forum have setup threads so that US members like me could place an order through them?

I only ask because now that I know they are the same, I would hate to miss out on future releases through Futureshop.

Originally Posted by mr. b_dvd
Some SteelBooks are indeed Store/Chain Exclusives, and the older ones are harder to find now anyway. Be careful also as some SteelBooks initially came out as a SteelBook with the first pressing, but then got converted to a standard case thereafter. Boondock Saints, Robocop, and Quiet Earth are some examples.
Could you elaborate on this a little? I'm actually a little worried because I've bought Boondock Saints new and sealed off someone, and according to the UPC code from the back of it he told him (024543-231387), it's the steelbook but the picture of the front doesn't have the title in red in the center of the cross nor does it have any other words on it. The only thing is a little sticker that says "Limited Edition Collectible Packaging" which I assumed meant steelbook.

I also am about to buy Fight Club and Robocop. Now Fight Club explicitly states steelbook but Robocop only has 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition. But I checked DVDAF and the only 20th edition is a steelbook. Would I be taking a gamble on buying Robocop?

Originally Posted by xage
It was something like 32 + some change.

Originally Posted by scott1598
i didn't even know the Apocalyse Now from CC i had was that rare...
Yes. If you have 3 discs in the Apoc Now case, that's the CC edition. From what I've read, it's incredibly rare because the most any Circuit City store location got was around 5-6 copies.

Last edited by Warrior1986; 10-04-08 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-05-08, 02:49 AM

Be very, very careful with Robocop. Several dvd store sites have it labeled incorrectly as a SteelBook, but what you get is the amaray case. DVD Empire, Deepdiscount, buy.com, and I think Amazon have been sending the amaray ones for awhile now. I've personnally ordered from DVD Empire AND DeepDiscount, and I got burned both times. I asked before hand, but DVD Empire couldn't tell me for sure, and deepdiscount told me to late. Your best bet with Robocop is from a fellow member or from Ebay that shows the actual SteelBoook (and I mean a real photo, not some universal one).

The first post of the Definitive List Threads will have which ones were store exclusives, but some of them that I know of off the top of my head:

Best Buy/FutureShop Exclusive: X-Men 1.5, The Departed, Bourne Ultimatum, Planet Terror and Death Proof (BB had 3 discs, FS had something else with it), I Am Legend, Batman: Gotham Knight

Futureshop only Exclusives: X3, 300, Little Mermaid, Cars, Chronicles of Narnia, V for Vendetta, I Am Legend Blu-ray Pirates of the Carribbean: DMC and AWE, Shrek III, Bee Movie, Spiderman 3, Superman Returns, Fantistic Four: ROTSS, Ocean's 13, . . .(there's more, I'm just too lazy to remember them all).

TWEC (FYE, Suncoast, Wherehouse Music, and other stores they own): Beowulf (FS as well), Sweeney Todd, Transformers, Cloverfield, 10,000 BC (although FS had it as a 2disc set and Best Buy Canada had it as a 3disc), Dragon Wars, Godfather Collection, Iron Man.

Target has not had any SteelBook Exclusives yet, but they recently had Immortal and The Breed for sale. I think that was the first SteelBooks they've had for sale.

The Hellsing SteelBooks were exclusives when initially released, but they are or have been re-released to the mass retail stores.

Fight Club was only released in a SteelBook, well the new release one anyway. It is essentially a repackage of the 2-disc set they've had out. Fox repackaged alot of their 2disc movies back in June or July of 2007, some of them are: Die Hard (similar to the BB exclusive, but not as much color), Man On Fire, Hannibal, The Omen, Fight Club, Day After Tomorrow, Platoon, X2, and Cast Away.

Futureshop will NOT ship to the US, but there are some members here that can help you out sometimes. There have been group order programs in the past for Futureshop SteelBooks, but I don't know if there is anyone doing that right now.
Old 10-05-08, 02:57 AM

Oh, and I don't know if you know it or not, but DVD Afficianado is a member maintainied database, which means any dvd's listed there have been contributed by members. I would not use DVD Afficianado as a way of determining what all is out on a certain movie. It's a good resource, but it is entirely possible that no one has bothered to submit a particular dvd if it was released both in SteelBook and regular case. I think there are alot of members that use DVD Af., and with DVD Spot shutting down, more will probably use them now. Another place to check or compare particular release info. is Invelos DVD Profiler. I use them to maintain my collection on my computer, and their database is also member driven.