DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

slipsleeve surplus by companies

Old 08-16-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

slipsleeve surplus by companies

why cant home video companies keep a surplus of slipsleeves in case customers want to have a replacement, perhaps even selling them?
do they really keep first print slipsleeves to such low numbers? or why dont they re-release some of the discs with the slipsleeves?
cant cost that much to produce a slipsleeve and i am sure many collectors would purchase? i doubt that companies havent realized what good business collectors are
Old 08-16-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know why they don't surplus, but I know some are re-releasing with slipcovers. I know Zodiac is one of them, and I completely forgot when I bought it today. Oh well though, $4. I'll find a way to get the new lenticular slipcover lol

Here's a link to the Parmount lenticulars re-releasing this fall:
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...nticulars.html

Also, didn't Disney replace some slipcovers for a small period of time? I could be wrong though.
Old 08-17-08, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you are absolutely right, many movies are being re-released with slipsleeves, although these paramount examples like zodiac didnt come with slipsleeves the first time around.
whats a bugger though is the fact that many movies like departed se, 300 se, etc. only came with slipsleeve as first print. i really dont understand why labels dont bring out reprints with slipsleeves? are they such a hassle to produce or what? i am sure they would help the selling value.
Old 08-17-08, 12:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

that Friday the 13th is so stupid considering there was no hockey mask and no Jason in the 1st.
Old 08-17-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, if they keep exclusive packaging (i.e. slipcovers) to small numbers and only in first print, it's more incentive for us collectors to pay full retail at release. If you knew, for example, that the departed 2-Disc is coming out next week and will be $24 with exclusive slipcover, but will also be available in 8 weeks for $10, still with exclusive slipcover, what's to stop you from holding off and getting it cheaper? I know I'd wait, and lately dvds have been dropping in price faster, so the slipcover or special packaging is just a small incentive to persuade people to get them when they release for a higher price than to just wait several weeks or months for something they can just get at a cheaper price.

Just my two cents.
Old 08-17-08, 02:31 PM

Here in Canada, they tend to shrink wrap the slipcover along with the DVD.. I usually see older titles still having them.. Making them less prone for someone to buy and just return the DVDs..

Also it seem to protect the slipcover from minor wear and dirt/finger prints.. Too bad we also get bilingual packaging..
Later
Old 08-17-08, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by scott1598 View Post
that Friday the 13th is so stupid considering there was no hockey mask and no Jason in the 1st.
Jason is pretty well represented.
Old 08-17-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pridesticks06 View Post
Also, if they keep exclusive packaging (i.e. slipcovers) to small numbers and only in first print, it's more incentive for us collectors to pay full retail at release. If you knew, for example, that the departed 2-Disc is coming out next week and will be $24 with exclusive slipcover, but will also be available in 8 weeks for $10, still with exclusive slipcover, what's to stop you from holding off and getting it cheaper? I know I'd wait, and lately dvds have been dropping in price faster, so the slipcover or special packaging is just a small incentive to persuade people to get them when they release for a higher price than to just wait several weeks or months for something they can just get at a cheaper price.

Just my two cents.
if course, you are absolutely right, this is one of the last tricks left to get consumers to pay full price
but couldnt they reissue additional slipcover copies later on maybe at a slightly higher price? or why not sell just the slipsleeves through their websites? i am sure this would be a nice extra income source!
Old 08-17-08, 03:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Jason is pretty well represented.
i understand the gimmick and what they are trying to do of course, but it is just false advertising and silly for the mask to be represented when it didn't appear until Part 3.

either way i would never in a million years double dip just for a lenticular slipcover as much as i like them. they will never have collector's value (save for the "Iron Man" Comic-Con Exclusive), i mean it isn't a SteelBook or anything

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-17-08 at 03:49 PM.