DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

There Will Blood Two Disc Case

Old 04-10-08, 10:13 PM

There Will Blood Two Disc Case

For those of you that have purchased the "There Will Be Blood" two disc set, are you satisfied with the packaging? At first, I found the design quite eloquent, until, upon closer inspection, I realized that the snug inserts for the discs were scratching them to a degree. I've emailed Paramount home video in regards to recieving a replacement, (which is probably in vain, but it made me feel content). For the time being, I swapped out the discs in a new case, but I'm having trouble as to where to go forward from now in regards to creating a new case. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 04-11-08, 12:29 AM

Here's what I did with mine:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=245
Old 04-11-08, 07:33 AM

I did see that on Imdb. I tried swapping out a "Full House" case to do it, but the "There Will Be Blood" case wouldn't close because the tray was too thick. Which tray did you use to do that? I'm thinking the way I might resolve this issue would be to just buy Memorex disc sleeves and then put them back. It's a shame really, one of the best films I've ever seen in theaters and its gets a shoddy treatment like this.....
Old 04-11-08, 03:01 PM

Is the folding problem with the right flap? I had that problem, too. I just found the spot where it needed to bend and I creased it until it folded over. It worked out fine.
Old 04-11-08, 04:52 PM

So, try creating a new crease? Even still, the tray seems too fat to fit into the puny box it came in. Do they sell those trays seperate at Staples or something? If not, I'm just creating a two disc keep case with the bible artwork used as the cover, only problem there is the lack of wording on the spine. Yeesh, this stupid case has been nothing but problems!
Old 04-11-08, 05:37 PM

The tray that I have is about .75 cm thick, if that helps. I got my tray from a Muppet Show Season One DVD.

So, I created a crease .75 cm to the right (when opened) of the current one. I laid something solid on top of it and ran the lever arm of some fingernail clippers up and down on both sides until it could bend easily.
Old 04-13-08, 08:15 PM

Since I had no tray to utlize, I wound up just buying disc sleeves and then placed them back in the case. Don't get me wrong, the case is neat, but I don't like the fact the discs get scratched in it. I saw the 1 disc in stores today and it looks even worse. Also, I heard rumblings on Imdb that people who have contacted Paramount Home Video are getting replacement discs. While we all know the reliability of Imdb in this regard, it may be a possibility. I send them an email and will keep you guys posted if there are indeed any replacement discs being offered, for the time being though, disc sleeves are the way to go.
Old 04-14-08, 06:02 PM

On a related note, my emails to Paramount Customer Service were surprisingly successful, and they will be replacing the scratched discs. I blanked out the customer service rep's name, but it is the same email I received. Here is the email:

Hi Paramount Customer,
My name is __________ with Paramount Home Entertainment Customer Service Department, and I would like to send you out a replacement copy of the defective disc(s) “There Will Be Blood – 2 Disc Edition”. If you could please provide me with your full name, mailing address, and which retail outlet you purchased the DVD from along with the approximate date, I will send that out as soon as possible. Unfortunately at this time the packaging for your replacement DVD will remain the same. Please allow approximately 2-4 weeks from the time we receive you’re mailing address to expect your replacement DVD.
I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused you, and we hope that you can continue to enjoy Paramount products.

(Good to know that the discs are being replaced, I'll just put the new ones in disc sleeves again, safe from harm.)
Old 04-14-08, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So here's what I'm going to do with mine. I had a spare clear plastic slim DVD case sitting around, so I took some scissors and cut out the center hub of it, leaving me with this:

Next, I am going to get I guess a hot glue gun and glue the hub onto the cardboard, like so:

I'll do this over the H.W. picture and over the Eli picture (once I find another clear slim case). The discs run no risk of scratching whatsoever, and it provides easy access. I may have to very slightly adjust the fold in the case, but it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-14-08, 07:04 PM

Good idea Kory, and very practical! I think I'll stick with the disc sleeves though. Do you think that they run the risk of scratching the new replacement discs with the sleeves?
Old 04-14-08, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Self adhesive clear hubs can be purchased at super media store online. I bought some and they come in handy for special packaging where the center hub is broken. I bought some to repair my digipack of Sympathy for Lady Vengeance from Korea. Worked great too. I recently saw some at Wal-Mart as well. You have to buy at least 25 but if you have other potential uses for them it may be worth your while.
Old 04-14-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hmmmm... Might go ahead and do that.

Where abouts in Wal-Mart did you see them at?
Old 04-15-08, 07:17 PM

That self adhesive hub is actually really awesome. How safe is ordering from that website?
Old 04-16-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered mine from supermediastore.com and had no problem whatsoever. The ones I saw at WM were in electronics hanging on the corner of an aisle. As always with WM, YMMV.
Old 04-17-08, 06:04 PM

I don't have any spare sleeves at home and don't really want to glue anything to the package so I was thinking of using wax or parchment paper to make a simple, quick sleeve. Is that a bad idea? Would it scratch the discs as well or do any damage to the case?
Thank you.
Old 04-17-08, 11:19 PM

I got 50 paper sleeves for $3.99 at Target. I would advise to just do that instead of taking a chance.
Old 04-18-08, 01:45 PM

My package just arrived with a brand new copy of There Will Be Blood. Took four days to get here. Pretty good customer service on their part, so kudos to Paramount Home Video.
Old 04-20-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw those self adhesive hubs at another Wal Mart. They were Memorex brand and located near DVD cases and sleeves. You only got 5 though for like $2.50.
Old 04-20-08, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
I saw those self adhesive hubs at another Wal Mart. They were Memorex brand and located near DVD cases and sleeves. You only got 5 though for like $2.50.
which ought to be plenty as it took how many years to produce a package this crummy. nice job guys.
Old 04-20-08, 10:33 PM

I just checked and they do indeed have 5 hubs for $2.47. For the record, it's a Wal-Mart in NJ, and they were located by the blank jewel case section. I don't want to damage the case though, so I just put em' in paper slips. Also, my replacement arrived, so now I have two copies. Oh, and the new case they gave me is slightly modified, the insert where you slide the disc out is raised on the upper portion, allowing for an easier time to get the disc out (it's nowhere near as snug). Just request a replacement, and then put the new discs in sleeves. Worst possible scenario: you own 2 copies of possibly the best movie of the 2000's.
Old 04-22-08, 01:25 PM

I don't have this movie and what I'm about to say has nothing to do with it but I do understand what your sayin'. I have Mariah Carey's E=MC2 Deluxe Edition cd and the snug packaging makes the disc get scratches on it when you slide it out of the box flap. I hate that but at least the cd plays just fine which I am extremly happy about I just hate that these packages makes the discs have scratches. I love the packaging though because its very snug and takes up alot less space and its cute but yeah I can't stand how they put the discs in there.
Old 04-24-08, 12:26 PM

JckRbbitSlim - did you use the

[email protected]

email address? How long did they take to respond to you? I wrote to them on the 21st, but haven't heard back yet.
Old 04-25-08, 09:17 AM

I sent them two emails. They responded the second time. Once they responded, I sent them my address and they sent it around three days later. Pretty good response time, but you have to be tenacious.
Old 04-25-08, 11:21 AM

Thanks. I'll zap them a follow-up!
Old 07-14-08, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but for Subgeniusguy or anyone else who's found these, do you have a picture of the packaging and/or a UPC code you could post? Trying to find these at my local W-M.