Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Planet of the Apes DVD experts?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sorry to come in here all needy, but...
I'm working on a set of Planet of the Apes covers which are shaping up to be pretty cool. Actually the first round is already posted over at r1db, some of you guys might have seen them.

Those ones are all for what I guess is the 2001 release (non-anamorphic)

Now I'm trying to do alternate versions for the other releases, and I'm having a hard time figuring out what's what.

So there's the 35th anniversary edition of the 1st movie, a 2 discer. Disc two has "behind the POTA," and also a bunch of other stuff like the makeup test.

the "behind the planet of the apes disc" that comes with the "legacy collection", is that the same as disc two from the 35th anniversary version? Or is it more like the older "behind" release?

Also just to confirm, the legacy collection comes with the extended version of pt 5 (battle)?

Also, would anyone who has these, be willing to post the catalog numbers and barcode numbers, or know where this info can be had online?

Sorry about this, I have read several reviews of various releases, but still am having trouble figuring it out. Anyway thanks, once they're all done, they're going up over at hunter's planet of the apes archive, where they'll be available free, no membership, login or anything like that.

Anyway thanks a lot for any help.
Old 04-11-08, 05:16 PM

First of, I'd like to say that very much like your PotA covers.

Looking through DVDEmpire.com, it looks like that the Planet of the Apes version in the Legacy collection is the 35th Anniversary edition, and yes the extended 10 minutes of Battle is there.

You can also view the dvds of the legacy collection separately on Empire so you might be able to get the information you need there.

I love your whole set, but the 2 hour documentary on the 35th edition is probably all that I want to see of the rest of the movies.
Old 04-13-08, 10:41 PM

Killbot,

I think that the behind the Planet of the Apes disc is the same on both sets. But don't quote me!

More importantly, I LOVE THESE! They are gorgeous! Am I right in assuming that these are not the original posters, just meant to emulate them? I don't recall seeing those exact images (at least for the first two films). Anyway the backs perfectly compliment the fronts.

Any chance of doing these for thinpaks? My issue is always saving space and right now, I'm using my all in one set. I would move back to individual covers if I could get slim versions.

I also thought of asking you if you gave any thought to a "Ape-o-rama" cover (I went to a showing of all 5 when I was a kid), but then we'd get just one cover instead of 5 and like I said... these are great!

Though, "Conquest" may be a little too "crinkly!" Of course if it got caught up in those ape riots...

Anyway, I just wanted to say again how much I love these. Great job!

Hey, how about releasing the fronts as posters!?
Old 04-13-08, 11:03 PM

Okay, okay... After doing a wee-bit of research, I see that they are based on original posters (some foreign, I think), but they are all still stunning. I had never seen those images from the first movie before! Where you got hi-res versions of these will, I'm sure, remain a mystery!
Old 04-20-08, 01:50 PM

Gentlemen, thanks for the input. Ric, you have no idea how awesome it is to have a custom cover legend such as yourself excited about my covers. Thank you for your kind words!
I think you are right about the texture on Conquest, it obscures the poster art too much.
Yes, some of the artwork is from foreign releases, and some is assembled from various pieces.
All the the artwork I used came from two places, movieposterdb dot com, if you don't already know about that site it is completely awesome, they have a TON of hi-res artwork. You have to pay to join, but its pretty reasonable, I think it cost me about 7 bucks for 100 downloads.
The rest came from a fansite called hunter's planet of the apes archive, the guy has an extensive image gallery, with a lot of hi-res images. Pretty cool.
Anyway there are a couple of errors on the covers I posted at R1DB, namely the running time on the TV series I think is incorrect, also "Battle" has the special features from the extended release.
SO after I fix those, I'd like to post a V2 set, with the specs for the anamorphic release.
As for thin packs, I don't use them myself. I have already gotten one other request for them, but some of these PS files have a LOT of layers, it could make re-fitting them fairly difficult, but we'll see.
Anyway thanks again to all.
Old 04-21-08, 06:55 PM

Killbot,

I'll definitely check out movieposterdb, thanks for the heads up! If you do find the time to make thinpaks out of your covers, please let me know, I'll be first in line! Just about every custom I use these days has to fill two objectives; one is to look good, the other is to save space!

Once again, they are terrific covers and by far the best I have seen for Planet of the Apes!

Oh, and thanks for the "legend" comment! Though, I'm starting to feel like a hack compared to some of you folks!
Old 04-21-08, 10:44 PM

Well, that was an eye-opening experience! I went to movieposterdb and did a search for Star Trek, Farscape and Twilight Zone, and up pops the fronts of a bunch of my DVD covers. Some of them have been retired, but it looks like they live on thru the magic of uploading!

Geez, can I send away and get "posters" of my work?! That'd be sweet!
Old 04-24-08, 12:38 AM

You know, I actually noticed that your Star Trek fronts were up over there. The upload guidlines dictate that nothing that has been altered in any way should be upped, they want official art only. Somebody wanting to wrangle some free credits probably downloaded your covers (since you provide them free) cropped 'em, and upped 'em. Well I guess its a testament to the quality of your work, that nobody figured out that it wasn't studio artwork. I'm sure if you wanted them taken down, the guy would do it for you, especially since they don't fit the guidelines anyway.
Old 04-25-08, 09:43 PM

Thanks KB! Y'know, I think I'd settle for a lifetime free membership! The thing is, I don't want folks to think I just used poster art (downloaded from that site) for my DVD covers!