Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster switching from snappers to keepcases

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-07, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if anyone has realized yet but Blockbuster has gotten rid of most of their snappers and replaced them with keepcases.

In the past, they would just cut the cardboard of the snapper to fit into a keepcase. In fact, many are still like this.

I guess somewhere along the line they convinced Warners Brothers and New Line to make them keepcase covers so they wouldn't have to use snappers anymore.

I think Blockbuster has been printing their own covers as well for other titles as well. They are somewhat blurry and look like something you would print at Kinko's.

Well, I'm a huge hater of snappers. I usually rebuy the keepcases when they switch over to it just to get rid of the crappy snapper.

Once I saw the new Blockbuster keepcases, I had to have them.

So what have I been doing? Nothing illegal really but probably frowned upon. I've been renting the DVDs I want and taking the keepcase and then cutting my Snapper DVD and putting it back into the rented DVD. No harm done really and no one's the wiser. I doubt the teenaged kid working there would even realize.

Almost half my Warner Brothers collection were snappers so this has gotten rid of almost all of them. I love the Warner Brothers ones because they look like what the DVD would look like if they did convert it to a keepcase. They look amazing.

Here are some of the titles I've swapper so far:
A Perfect Murder
Best in Show
Waiting For Guffman
Citizen Kane
Once Upon A Time in America
Natural Born Killers
Bonnie and Clyde
Empire of the Sun
L.A. Confidential
Sleepers
Pee-wee's Big Adventure
Eyes Wide Shut
The Shining
A Clockwork Orange
Christmas Vacation

They have one for Magnolia and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil but they look really bad.

They also have ones for Singin' in the Rain and A Christmas Story but they are for the single disc versions.

I'm still trying to find ones for Three Kings, The Player, Interview With the Vampire, The Sting and McCabe and Mrs. Miller.

Anyways, hopefully no one looks down on me for this practice.

Saxon
Old 07-19-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure what the point of this post was, but you do realize that numerous custom cover sites exist that have entire subsections devoted to high-quality snapper-to-keepcase conversions, so one does not have to steal from Blockbuster?
Old 07-23-07, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Don't the rental discs come in generic cases, while the original covers stay in the store?
Old 07-23-07, 10:23 AM

I don't have the time to go and print out those covers. Plus, these probably look better then anything you could print.

As far as all the Blockbusters in this area, you don't get the generic cover. You get the actual DVD box.

Saxon