DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

recent Criterion 2-disc releases

Old 03-18-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

recent Criterion 2-disc releases

has anyone else been really disappointed with the cases that Criterion have been using for their recent 2-disc releases? For both 'Young Mr. Lincoln' and 'Kind Hearts and Coronets' my copies have come in really annyoing Scanavo cases. They overlap the discs, feel cheap, and are well, ugly.
They take up the same width as the double disc Alpha cases do, so I don't understand the need to overlap the discs at all.

I wrote the following letter to John Mulvaney, hopefully I get a response:

Hello,
I was wondering why The Criterion Collection has changed the type of 2-Disc cases that they use for double disc releases. The double disc Alpha cases were always nice. The double disc Scanavo cases (which have been used for the recent 'Young Mr. Lincoln' and 'Kind Hearts and Coronets' dvds) are bothersome (overlapping discs), flimsy, and unattractive. These words should not be associated with Criterion. I buy every Criterion dvd release because I have come to expect high quality products from your company. These Scanavo cases are very disappointing, especially after spending $30 on a 2-Disc dvd.

Do you know if Scanavo cases will be used for all future 2-Disc releases, or will Criterion be returning to using the higher quality Alpha cases? Any other type of case would be preferable to the Scanavo. Cases that overlap the discs are very inconvenient, and the Scanavo cases especially have a very cheap feel and appearance to them.
Old 03-18-06, 08:12 PM

I wholeheartedly agree. They feel very cheap and I'm afraid the top disc will get scratched. Plus one of the little clasps holding my booklet on Young Mr. Lincoln was broken. If this keeps up I think I might order some two-disc cases and switch them out.