DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Your definition of a damaged DVD case

Old 03-12-06, 08:57 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auburn University
Posts: 2,424
Your definition of a damaged DVD case

Would do you consider damaged?


Scotch tape on the corners? Creased spine on the slip cover down the center? Dents on the cover?

Would that be damaged, or in "good" condition?

I am in an argument with someone who thinks that this is "good" condition, while I disagree.


Please let me know your thoughts.
AnonomusBob15 is offline  
Old 03-12-06, 09:02 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,147
Any dents/tears in the case itself or any tears in the clear plastic covering the cover. Also if any of the tabs holding the DVD in place are broken.

I don't mind dents in the cover itself unless it is a big tear and visible across the room.
resinrats is offline  
Old 03-12-06, 09:06 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,701
Is that "good" as in Mint, Near Mint, Very Good, Good, Fine, Poor?

My thinking is, if you're the sort of person who is bothered by minor defects, you should make specific inquiries about condition in advance and not leave it to subjective terms like "good".

It sounds to me like you could easily put the DVD in a new case. Not that the guy shouldn't have done that in the first place, it just seems like you're locked in a futile argument; the term "good" condition is a subjective term. Even in comic books, where the terms have some sort of more-or-less agreed upon criteria, it's subjective and easily open to dispute.
ThatGuamGuy is offline  
Old 03-12-06, 09:08 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 3,137
Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Is that "good" as in Mint, Near Mint, Very Good, Good, Fine, Poor?

My thinking is, if you're the sort of person who is bothered by minor defects, you should make specific inquiries about condition in advance and not leave it to subjective terms like "good".

It sounds to me like you could easily put the DVD in a new case. Not that the guy shouldn't have done that in the first place, it just seems like you're locked in a futile argument; the term "good" condition is a subjective term. Even in comic books, where the terms have some sort of more-or-less agreed upon criteria, it's subjective and easily open to dispute.
Agreed.
NatrlBornThrllr is offline  
Old 03-12-06, 09:09 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
visitor Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,501
Shit .. if they overheated the outter cellophane wrapping to the point where it won't fully come off (always the spine) upon the unwrapping stage, I'd consider it damaged!! Don't worry mate, you won your argument. Besides, you'll find that you're preaching to the choir in this joint ..

Oh yeah, and what he said:
Originally Posted by ThatQuamGuy
It sounds to me like you could easily put the DVD in a new case. Not that the guy shouldn't have done that in the first place, it just seems like you're locked in a futile argument; the term "good" condition is a subjective term.
visitor Q is offline  
Old 03-12-06, 09:36 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 1,482
Obviously, the most important parts of any DVD case is where the disc itself sits firmly, and the plastic lining for artwork, and of course the tabs to help the case close firmly.

If the plastic lining is torn off or severly damaged, the case can still be used, but not with artwork. If the tabs are broken, the case can still be used to hold a disc, but not be used for archiving in your collection. So, as long as those areas are in good shape, my definition of a damaged dvd case is where the DVD rests in the keep or snap case, if the disc doesn't stay put, the case is damaged IMO.

That is all that matters with any DVD case, where the disc goes.

Everything else is purely cosmetic.
dvd_luver is offline  
Old 03-12-06, 09:40 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 1,482
Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
Would do you consider damaged?


Scotch tape on the corners? Creased spine on the slip cover down the center? Dents on the cover?

Would that be damaged, or in "good" condition?
.
I would rate that as poor condition, but wouldn't matter so much as long as it can still hold the disc and the disc is mint.

So if the disc is ok, the rest of it is in poor condition IMO.
dvd_luver is offline  
Old 03-13-06, 12:33 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auburn University
Posts: 2,424
Well, the argument is about the case, not the dvd. Damaged plastic cases are fine, as they are replacable, but this is a gatefold, with a cardboard slipcover, Hellboy DC.

I just don't see how tape on the case holding it together or creased spines on the top, bottom, and sides (down the center) and dented cover could even be consider "good" in any shape/form/fashion.
AnonomusBob15 is offline  
Old 03-13-06, 12:43 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 3,137
Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
Well, the argument is about the case, not the dvd. Damaged plastic cases are fine, as they are replacable, but this is a gatefold, with a cardboard slipcover, Hellboy DC.

I just don't see how tape on the case holding it together or creased spines on the top, bottom, and sides (down the center) and dented cover could even be consider "good" in any shape/form/fashion.
Oh, then yeah I totally agree with you. My initial thoughts were "um, just take the tape off or replace the case," but if it's on a digipak and the tape is on there because it's holding it together, I'd say that you were misled.

-JP
NatrlBornThrllr is offline  
Old 03-13-06, 01:37 AM
  #10  
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Fok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Canada, BC
Posts: 6,689
any dent or tear in any part of the case
Fok is offline  
Old 03-13-06, 02:03 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by Fok
any dent or tear in any part of the case
Yeah son, if it's a cardboard case then that sounds like some pretty shitty condition. I think you should direct this person you're having the argument with to this thread and prove to them that they're mad wrong once and for all!
supfool! is offline  
Old 03-13-06, 11:53 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 296
Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
Well, the argument is about the case, not the dvd. Damaged plastic cases are fine, as they are replacable, but this is a gatefold, with a cardboard slipcover, Hellboy DC.

I just don't see how tape on the case holding it together or creased spines on the top, bottom, and sides (down the center) and dented cover could even be consider "good" in any shape/form/fashion.
Unless I've mistaken the meaning of "gatefold", I thought Hellboy DC was three little slim cases inside of a slipcover.
joshtown is offline  
Old 03-13-06, 12:15 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Aostin, TX, USA
Posts: 19,876
Pretty much if you feel you need to use tape....
Y2K Falcon is offline  
Old 03-13-06, 02:18 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auburn University
Posts: 2,424
Originally Posted by joshtown
Unless I've mistaken the meaning of "gatefold", I thought Hellboy DC was three little slim cases inside of a slipcover.

You are correct. I forgot they are slim cases, which the condition of those were fine, but the damage was done to the slipcase.


Thanks for the responses in helping me prove my point.
AnonomusBob15 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.