Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Your definition of a damaged DVD case

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would do you consider damaged?

Scotch tape on the corners? Creased spine on the slip cover down the center? Dents on the cover?

Would that be damaged, or in "good" condition?

I am in an argument with someone who thinks that this is "good" condition, while I disagree.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 03-12-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any dents/tears in the case itself or any tears in the clear plastic covering the cover. Also if any of the tabs holding the DVD in place are broken.

I don't mind dents in the cover itself unless it is a big tear and visible across the room.
Old 03-12-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that "good" as in Mint, Near Mint, Very Good, Good, Fine, Poor?

My thinking is, if you're the sort of person who is bothered by minor defects, you should make specific inquiries about condition in advance and not leave it to subjective terms like "good".

It sounds to me like you could easily put the DVD in a new case. Not that the guy shouldn't have done that in the first place, it just seems like you're locked in a futile argument; the term "good" condition is a subjective term. Even in comic books, where the terms have some sort of more-or-less agreed upon criteria, it's subjective and easily open to dispute.
Old 03-12-06, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Is that "good" as in Mint, Near Mint, Very Good, Good, Fine, Poor?

My thinking is, if you're the sort of person who is bothered by minor defects, you should make specific inquiries about condition in advance and not leave it to subjective terms like "good".

It sounds to me like you could easily put the DVD in a new case. Not that the guy shouldn't have done that in the first place, it just seems like you're locked in a futile argument; the term "good" condition is a subjective term. Even in comic books, where the terms have some sort of more-or-less agreed upon criteria, it's subjective and easily open to dispute.
Agreed.
Old 03-12-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shit .. if they overheated the outter cellophane wrapping to the point where it won't fully come off (always the spine) upon the unwrapping stage, I'd consider it damaged!! Don't worry mate, you won your argument. Besides, you'll find that you're preaching to the choir in this joint ..

Oh yeah, and what he said:
Originally Posted by ThatQuamGuy
It sounds to me like you could easily put the DVD in a new case. Not that the guy shouldn't have done that in the first place, it just seems like you're locked in a futile argument; the term "good" condition is a subjective term.
Old 03-12-06, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Obviously, the most important parts of any DVD case is where the disc itself sits firmly, and the plastic lining for artwork, and of course the tabs to help the case close firmly.

If the plastic lining is torn off or severly damaged, the case can still be used, but not with artwork. If the tabs are broken, the case can still be used to hold a disc, but not be used for archiving in your collection. So, as long as those areas are in good shape, my definition of a damaged dvd case is where the DVD rests in the keep or snap case, if the disc doesn't stay put, the case is damaged IMO.

That is all that matters with any DVD case, where the disc goes.

Everything else is purely cosmetic.
Old 03-12-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
Would do you consider damaged?

Scotch tape on the corners? Creased spine on the slip cover down the center? Dents on the cover?

Would that be damaged, or in "good" condition?
I would rate that as poor condition, but wouldn't matter so much as long as it can still hold the disc and the disc is mint.

So if the disc is ok, the rest of it is in poor condition IMO.
Old 03-12-06, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, the argument is about the case, not the dvd. Damaged plastic cases are fine, as they are replacable, but this is a gatefold, with a cardboard slipcover, Hellboy DC.

I just don't see how tape on the case holding it together or creased spines on the top, bottom, and sides (down the center) and dented cover could even be consider "good" in any shape/form/fashion.
Old 03-12-06, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, the argument is about the case, not the dvd. Damaged plastic cases are fine, as they are replacable, but this is a gatefold, with a cardboard slipcover, Hellboy DC.

I just don't see how tape on the case holding it together or creased spines on the top, bottom, and sides (down the center) and dented cover could even be consider "good" in any shape/form/fashion.
Oh, then yeah I totally agree with you. My initial thoughts were "um, just take the tape off or replace the case," but if it's on a digipak and the tape is on there because it's holding it together, I'd say that you were misled.

-JP
Old 03-13-06, 12:37 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

any dent or tear in any part of the case
Old 03-13-06, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Fok
any dent or tear in any part of the case
Yeah son, if it's a cardboard case then that sounds like some pretty shitty condition. I think you should direct this person you're having the argument with to this thread and prove to them that they're mad wrong once and for all!
Old 03-13-06, 10:53 AM

Unless I've mistaken the meaning of "gatefold", I thought Hellboy DC was three little slim cases inside of a slipcover.
Old 03-13-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty much if you feel you need to use tape....
Old 03-13-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joshtown
Unless I've mistaken the meaning of "gatefold", I thought Hellboy DC was three little slim cases inside of a slipcover.

You are correct. I forgot they are slim cases, which the condition of those were fine, but the damage was done to the slipcase.

Thanks for the responses in helping me prove my point.