Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

1st Press Slipcovers -Making An Archive... ... ...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being that more and more DVDs are coming w/ outer cardboard (sometimes plastic) slipcovers, it's becoming harder & harder to keep track of which movies have them? Are there certain studios doing it? Big hits only? What?

It seems these slipcovers are becoming a commodity of sorts, especially to those who like to 'collect' (as most of us here do). Only the 1st PRESS RELEASE are getting slipcovers these days.

I for one, would love to see a archive made as to which DVDs have '1st press slipcovers', & perhaps the mods/admins can make it a sticky.

Do many agree on this? I'd like to hear sum input and perhaps we can get this started w/ an A-Z list, perhaps even w/ photos (which I'd be more than willing to help out with).

EDIT - Here is a short & sweet list I put together real fast. My step-son did the html and will make it look better real soon w/ clickable pics.
If you have any DVDs that aren't on the list, just post here, and the list will be updated every 48hours as time permits.
Any suggestions would be cool.
If this could be made into a sticky, even cooler

DVD - 1st PRESS SLIPCOVERS

Last edited by Bokasmo; 12-06-06 at 06:35 PM. Reason: updating my link
Old 12-21-05, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fantastic idea! I'm a dvd perfectionist, so when I know a dvd once came with a slipcover but I cant find it in stores, I don't mind spending a few extra bucks to get it on ebay with the slipcover.

Having a list with dvds proven to have slipcovers is a wonderful idea, and I'd contribute whatever I could too.
Old 12-21-05, 06:50 PM

How would get this started? If by index and photos, I can use my server to host the pics.

Would an admin/mod make it a sticky?

I can start taking photos of ALL the 1st press slipcovers I got if we can get a greenlight on this.
Old 12-21-05, 07:00 PM

I think there was a post with an ongoing list of DVDs with slipcovers. Maybe we could combine this idea with that and put a * next to the ones that were only 1st pressing slip covers.
Old 12-23-05, 03:39 PM

^BUMP - List added
Old 12-23-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
Not sure if all of these are 1st press only, but here are some that I have
The Sound of Music
Die Another Day
Bull Durham
Office Space
Aladdin
Toy Story
Beauty and the Beast
Dirty Dancing
Old 12-23-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll list some limited slipcovers that weren't 1st pressings also. Fox has also recently released their "classics" line with really ugly blue bordered slipcovers like Cast Away, X2, etc. Also, I'm not 100% on all of these being limited so confirm which aren't.

-Awards Edition slipcovers (I'm missing some too.. not 1st pressing but released limited later on)

American Beauty
Beautiful Mind
Erin Brockovich
Gladiator
Lost in Translation
Lost Weekend
Master and Commander
My Cousin Vinny
Pianist
Ray
Saving Private Ryan
Schindlers List

28 Days Later (not 1st pressing)
Blue Velvet
Bourne Identity: Explosive Extended Edition
Bringing Up Baby
Bubba Ho-tep
Bug's Life
Cabin Fever
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Dances with Wolves
Day After Tomorrow
Dodgeball
Duel
Field of Dreams
Great Escape
Hellboy
Incredibles
Lion King
Manchurian Canidate
Mulan
People Vs. Larry Flint
Spider-Man 2
Underworld
Wizard of Oz- 2 Disc

Here is a list also.. http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showpos...56&postcount=7 and a 'slipcover' search on the bargains, exchange and talk forum should turn up a pretty complete list (though take some additional time and effort to skim them).

Last edited by abintra; 12-30-05 at 08:28 PM. Reason: added some titles
Old 12-23-05, 05:11 PM

Is there anyway u can take photos of these and send them to me? The website will feature photos as well to help make things more clear for everyone.

Make sure the photos are nice and bright and shot from straight ahead (against a monitor/table etc) or shot from above w/ DVD laying on something.

Thx
Old 12-23-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd imagine nearly all of them can be seen via DVDSpot, DVDAf, and/or retailer sites.
Old 12-25-05, 07:31 PM

Batman Begins: 2-Disc Deluxe Edition
Daredevil: Director's Cut
Highlander: The Immortal Edition (Metal slipcover)
King of New York (Artisan)
Terminator 2: Extreme Edition
Stripes: Extended Cut
Scarface (2-Disc)

- EDIT - Removed titles that are still available with [their original] slipcovers

Last edited by EvlAsh; 12-30-05 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-25-05, 07:42 PM

The Great Escape 2D
Lifeboat
Leon DE
The Transporter SE
Old 12-26-05, 12:36 PM

What I'm trying to do here is list the slipcovers that you 'cannot' buy once the 1st press sells out.

Alot that you guys have listed automatically come w/ a case or slipcover no matter when u buy it. DVDs that come w/ a slipcase after 1st press, I won't put on this list.

I'll need to sift thru what has been posted and determine if they have actual 1st press slipcovers.

I think the biggest example of recent times would be the superbit deluxe 'Fifth Element', which many recieved w/out the slipcover because they recieved it well after it's initial release. The Warriors is another example.

This is why I asked for your pics. They WILL GO on the website list
Old 12-26-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
Toy Story 2
Old 12-26-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bokasmo
What I'm trying to do here is list the slipcovers that you 'cannot' buy once the 1st press sells out.

Alot that you guys have listed automatically come w/ a case or slipcover no matter when u buy it. DVDs that come w/ a slipcase after 1st press, I won't put on this list.

This is why I asked for your pics. They WILL GO on the website list
Are you limiting it to 1st pressing only or ones that were/are limited and are no longer available or not always included? I believe all the ones I listed are limited in the sense that they are either no longer available or hit and miss on whether any given retailer will have the slipcover version in stock. Exclusions to that are (may be missing some but this is my understanding)..

28 Days Later - original didn't have one but one may or may not find it with one now as I've seen it with and without it currently.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - not sure if always included
Dances with Wolves - not sure if always included
Great Escape - not sure if always included
Incredibles - not sure if always included

The rest I listed are either no longer available unless one finds it used or are very hit and miss depending on a retailers stock on hand.

Regarding the pictures.. do you need me to link the photos that you can use from the sites I listed or you only want hand taken ones (which I can't offer)?

For example, I don't understand why you can't just save the Amazon photos when applicable and upload those to your site since they aren't copyrighted.

All of the gold award edition slipcovers have this border and are limited (one likely won't find them much anymore unless it is leftover stock).

Only linking them to save on load times.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
http://www.dvdspot.com/dvd.php?d=1285058998 (Amazon doesn't have a stock photo for this one)

Last edited by abintra; 12-26-05 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-26-05, 06:51 PM

Thanx for your input & to clarify I'm looking to include DVDs which no longer are offered w/ their slipcovers.

Those award ones, prolly always had one. They may be limited and OOP, but that's not the list I'm tracking here.

As for pics, I want hand-made digital pics (640x480 or bigger) showing the DVD case next to the slipcover.
Old 12-26-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bokasmo
Thanx for your input & to clarify I'm looking to include DVDs which no longer are offered w/ their slipcovers.

Those award ones, prolly always had one. They may be limited and OOP, but that's not the list I'm tracking here.

As for pics, I want hand-made digital pics (640x480 or bigger) showing the DVD case next to the slipcover.
Can't help on the photos then, sorry.

Would you mind clarifying what types of slipcovers you would like listed again? I'm confused on the destinction between the ones you want versus those they had slipcovers at some point but no longer do.

Wouldn't it be useful to list all titles that have had slipcovers but don't any longer or may be hard to find so those interested know to search for them?
Old 12-27-05, 08:57 PM

I'm not sure how to determine when the second pressing came out. A lot of the ones I see here and ones that I saw during new release week with a slip and then within a month they didn't have one. So, were all the ones with slips within the first pressing, or was it multiple pressings? I don't know.
Old 12-27-05, 09:22 PM

Yeldarb, u hit it right on the nailhead!

When u notice the same movie like a month later w/out a slipcover, that's the 2nd pressing...

The list I'm compiling is just that.
Old 12-28-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of the ones listed that I'm pretty positive were originally released with slipcovers and then dropped..

Blue Velvet - SE
The Bourne Identity - Explosive Extended Edition
Bringing Up Baby - Two-Disc Special Edition
Bug's Life - Collector's Edition (Reissue)
Bull Durham - Special Edition
Cabin Fever
Die Another Day
Dodgeball (atleast the rated version.. not sure if the Unrated version slip has been dropped)
Duel
Field of Dreams - Two-Disc Anniversary Edition
Hellboy -2-Disc Special Edition
Incredibles
Lion King
Manchurian Candidate
Mulan - Special Edition
People Vs. Larry Flint
Spider-Man 2
Toy Story 2 - SE
Wizard of Oz- 2 Disc

Think so but I'm not sure..

Bubba Ho-tep
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Day After Tomorrow
Underworld

I applaud the idea and initiative. If you ever reconsider, I'd find it really useful to expand the list to include titles that at one time or another came with slipcovers but no longer do using the same criteria as from street date to not (exclude all titles that have slipcovers as part of their permanent packaging).

This would further aid those that utilize a list of this sort in knowing which titles at one point did contain slipcovers but no longer do and any attempts on obtaining them (for example, the 'award series' slipcovers that didn't originate at street date but were later re-released with them for a brief time and then again permanently dropped).

Last edited by abintra; 12-28-05 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-31-05, 02:07 AM

Well, to start, let me try and get the photos and the list as up-to-date as possible. Then we can update on a weekly release, w/ as many members contributing w/ visits to Circuit City, Best Buy, etc., and submitting which have slipcovers on release day(s).

Everyone have a HAPPY NEW YEAR 2006!
Old 12-06-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I was looking for a thread like this. Does anyone know if another comprehensive list exists. I am a perfectionist when it comes to DVDs and their slip covers.

I have/know of

Con Air - Unrated Extended version
Daredevil - Director's cut
Hellboy - 2disc Director's cut
I, Robot
Leon the Professional - Deluxe edition
Napoleon Dynamite - Like the best special edition ever
Office Space - Special edition
Red Heat - Special edition
Sideways
Swimming with Sharks - Special edition
T2 - Extreme edition
Van Helsing
Wall Street - award series
Unfaithful
Resident Evil Apocalypse
Fahrenheit 9/ll
Ghost in the Shell - Special Edition
Karas: The Prophecy
The Groomsmen
Old 12-06-06, 06:15 PM
Bye

If it helps, both the regular and "All-Access" versions of I, Robot came with slipcovers. The former had a clear plastic one with Will Smith on it, and the latter had a foil-covered paper one that I believe mirrored the look of the cover insert. You may also have seen me post that Hollywood Video (and possibly other stores) had a version of the former that had no slipcover -- all the graphics were on the standard cover insert (and no, it wasn't a color copy or scan).

Also, as you probably know, the T2: XtremeDVD originally came with a metal slipcover that was notorious for shredding the plastic graphics sleeve on the Amaray case, and was subsequently replaced with a foil-covered embossed cardboard one. Similarly, the "Ultimate Edition" came in a metal one that was open in the back, and that was later replaced with a foil-covered embossed slipcover. Both versions have been shipped without the slipcover, but of course that applies to a lot of DVDs.
Old 01-17-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
How updated is this? I love the idea and wondered why with all the "Official One & Only Threads," there isn't one for slipcovers that's constantly worked on.

Recent ones off the top of my head are:

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2-Disc)
Lady in the Water
King Kong: Deluxe Extended Edition
The Ant Bully
Superman Returns (2-Disc)
Robin Hood: Most Wanted Edition
Old 01-19-07, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Crimson Tide - Unrated Extended Edition
Enemy of the State - Unrated Extended Edition
Old 01-23-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Any of this week's releases come with slipcovers?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.