Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Decided to conver my entire collection to slim cases. anyone else done this?

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Decided to conver my entire collection to slim cases. anyone else done this?

Old 10-16-05, 06:46 PM

Decided to convert my entire collection to slim cases. anyone else done this?

My DVDs have started to take over my living area and my work space so I need to reclaim some space.

I've decided to cut a little bit from the front edge and a little bit from the back edge of my DVD covers so they can fit into slim DVD cases. This seem to be the best way to make the conver on the cheap. I am then going to make some custom DVD spines so the entire collection matches abd is legiable.

Has anyone else done this? If so could you provide some opinions and photos so i can get a feeling as to what it will look like.

Last edited by fender69; 10-16-05 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-16-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think what you should do is just get a dvd or cd wallet and put them in that and box up and store your dvd cases. I really would advise against cutting your dvd cases.

I did something sort of similar and put all my cds in wallets and thrown out my cases. I really regret doing it now.
Old 10-16-05, 10:27 PM

It really is a small portion. Like 3mm from the front edge and 3mm from the back edge. In most cases it's not even noticeable. If I ever decide to put them back into big cases again they will look fine.

There are some DVD covers that will not be cut (i.e. anything OOP or in a double wide case). These will be scanned and reprinted with smaller spines.

I use to keep all my CDs in a wallet (1000+) and I really think that is a poor way to store CD/DVDs. After a few months I put them all back into their cases.

Last edited by fender69; 10-17-05 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-17-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There are people on here who have converted thier collections to Nexpak slims but they used custom covers and scan converts a name that comes to mind Is Lancelot I think he's converted his entire collection.
Old 10-17-05, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by fender69
Has anyone else done this? If so could you provide some opinions and photos so i can get a feeling as to what it will look like.
I've converted my entire collection to thinner packaging. To be honest if you just want to do it on the cheap using binders is a lot cheaper and smaller. Unless you want something that still looks like DVD packaging when you are done.
Old 10-18-05, 04:59 AM

Instead of defacing the official covers - which will severely lower their resale value - why not just make some thinpak customs instead? If it's too much time and expense to do full-fledged conversions, you could always do just the spines and leave the front and back plain white. Or you could make a bunch of plain white thinpak covers with only the title in black block lettering on the spine and front. I wouldn't go shaving off 3mm from the front and back. Don't kid yourself. People won't want to buy the DVD used if the cover is cut. You'll end up having to mark them down like a DVD with no case.
Old 10-20-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also have problems with space but my single dvd's stay and the box sets only get the new dvd covers along with dvd cases I purchase here. (below link)

http://www.supermediastore.com/dvd-cases-dvd-case.html

for example the smallville season one has 6 dvd's so I place them in a Sextuple DVD Case (note that this dvd cases are the size of a regular dvd case). I also did the same with Die Hard Trilogy, Harry Potter Trilogy, 24 Season one, Boomtown, Indiana jones, the simpsons, futurama, ect.. You get the point.

I don't have a digital camera otherwise I'll share the pictures of how my collection looks now but I think is the best idea to save space.

Forget about switching everything to slim dvd cases.
Old 10-20-05, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by kar10
I also have problems with space but my single dvd's stay and the box sets only get the new dvd covers along with dvd cases I purchase here. (below link)

http://www.supermediastore.com/dvd-cases-dvd-case.html

for example the smallville season one has 6 dvd's so I place them in a Sextuple DVD Case (note that this dvd cases are the size of a regular dvd case). I also did the same with Die Hard Trilogy, Harry Potter Trilogy, 24 Season one, Boomtown, Indiana jones, the simpsons, futurama, ect.. You get the point.

I don't have a digital camera otherwise I'll share the pictures of how my collection looks now but I think is the best idea to save space.

Forget about switching everything to slim dvd cases.

I'm not saving a ton of space or anything but I like to use the GenesysDTP cases that hold 6-8 DVDs for all of my series sets the spines are 1" and they look really sharp on my shelf I'll post a pic if I remember later.
Old 10-29-05, 07:46 PM

I've done more than 3/4's of my 800+ dvd's. I shrunk most of my custom or scanned covers to 10.70 x 7.25 for 9mm slim cases like NexPak's double slim ones or 10.60 for the single slim Nexpaks or double super slim cases. Whenever possible, if the font on the spine is small enough I just cut the sides careful not to cut the dvd or studio logos. I have significantly increased my storage space because of this. However, I have significantly decreased my bank account as well since photo paper and ink are quite expensive.
Old 11-01-05, 11:22 AM

I put all my 800 odd DVD's into A5 plastic wallets. I've put all the keepcase artwork in each along with a piece of card and cut up the snapper cases too (very satisfying). It looks great and the collection space is reduced by about 80%. I even cut up the boxsets. I kept them in storage for a while and then decided there was no point in keeping them either.

I don't understand the re-sale value arguement. Second hand dvd's are all but worthless.
Old 11-01-05, 01:02 PM

I keep the DVDs I buy in stores in regular cases, and all of my freebie DVDs (over 50) in the slim cases. So I have an empty shelf (but that might be filled up next week).
Old 11-01-05, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by palooka
I don't understand the re-sale value arguement. Second hand dvd's are all but worthless.
Yeah, if your collection consists of a bunch of over-produced DVD's that no one wants 6 months after they hit shelves. I get about 75% of the original purchase price back on most of my resales and actually make money on some others. Even with the ones that you can't sell for more than $3, if the original case/coverart is still intact you can take advantage of those trade-in deals at a lot of places.