Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

No insert in The Longest yard.....

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-05, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Longest yard WS edition today and it had no insert which pisses me off since it was a major hit.

2 points to make I got it for 14 bucks at Walmart, possibly walmarts ones dont have inserts? Since they are cheap

Also the WS where wrapped in that seal that has the line down the sides and a chunk of plastic hanging off it while the FS was neatly wrapped in the seal with the smooth sides and folds on the top....any differances here maybe?
Any got a FS or WS with an insert?
Old 09-20-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by StewieSyxx
I bought the Longest yard WS edition today and it had no insert which pisses me off since it was a major hit.

I have to ask: why is an insert so important? I just don't get it....
Old 09-20-05, 03:42 PM

Personally speaking, the DVD feels "cheap" if it doesn't have an insert. I know, logically it doesn't matter, but we are not driven by logic alone. (Also, the Chapter Listing on the insert is useful if you want to quickly find a scene without hasseling with the DVD's menu).

I would bet my paycheck that if 2 identical DVD sets were laid out side by side, one with an insert and one without, and you asked 100 people to choose one, 95 would probably choose one with the insert.

On a cynical note, I'm glad the studios are saving 5 cents per DVD by not including the inserts - we wouldn't want the them to lose money now would we?

Last edited by masetodd; 09-20-05 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-20-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They don't lose money. They's rather stick and ad in that space now. Much better usage of the space.
Old 09-20-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I could give a rats ass if there is an insert, unless it is some sort of book type insert.

Insert for inserts sake is pointless.
Old 09-20-05, 04:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
now, now - what strong language to start off a thread!

Old 09-20-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS
http://dvdtalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35
Old 09-20-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by masetodd
(Also, the Chapter Listing on the insert is useful if you want to quickly find a scene without hasseling with the DVD's menu).
Unless you leave the case (with the insert) on top of the entertainment center on the other side of the dark room.
Old 09-20-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by masetodd
Personally speaking, the DVD feels "cheap" if it doesn't have an insert.
I agree. The case has a space for an insert so it just seems wrong for there not to be one there.
Old 09-20-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DTS and DD 5.1 sound, anamorphic OAR video I can see caring about and even caring greatly about when buying a DVD, but an insert is just a piece of paper with a pic/ propoganda with the movie or the studio hawking products on it. I'm one of the guys that just don't get it......
Old 09-20-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
I don't see why inserts have suddenly become such a hassle to print. It really does look cheap to open the case and have no insert there; people often bring them back to the stores thinking they forgot to put it in. If they're going to stop printing inserts then they need to change the cases so there's no empty space for them. The cardboard slipcovers they put OUTSIDE the shrinkwrap are what really need to go!
Old 09-20-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The point of an insert in the dvd case is to provide the viewer with information on the discs chapter listing. It is not pointless, I can see why some people don't care, but it should still be in the dvd case and not missing. When studios get cheap and not print inserts for all their dvd's, it defeats the purpose of getting a complete product for your money. That is why it pisses people off.
Old 09-20-05, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd_luver
The point of an insert in the dvd case is to provide the viewer with information on the discs chapter listing. It is not pointless, I can see why some people don't care, but it should still be in the dvd case and not missing. When studios get cheap and not print inserts for all their dvd's, it defeats the purpose of getting a complete product for your money. That is why it pisses people off.
Put it all on the disc. That is all that's needed.
Old 09-20-05, 05:53 PM

I think they should go to ALL Dvd's coming in snappers, that way there is a built-in insert.......
Old 09-20-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by StewieSyxx
For future reference, you're going to see this A LOT. It has nothing to do with being "a hit"... It's a studio thing.

Paramount, Warner Brothers, Universal, Lion's Gate and MGM no longer issue inserts with their DVDs. There may be another "major" that I'm forgetting but inserts are getting rare these days.

And welcome to DVDTalk...
Old 09-20-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally hate inserts. I think they are worthless and generally don't provide any useful information. On the other hand I like the handsome booklets that are being included by some of the boutique dvd companies like Eureka's Masters of Cinema line. Nice articles and artwork.
Old 09-20-05, 07:23 PM

I like seeing an insert because then I know for sure it was supposed to have one, like "Hi I'm the insert; I wasn't accidentally forgotten". If there's no insert, then I'm all worried over whether it was supposed to have one or not.

-AC
Old 09-21-05, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by acostigan
... If there's no insert, then I'm all worried over whether it was supposed to have one or not.

-AC
That's when the official "does this dvd come with an insert" thread comes in handy ... I like chapter or booklet inserts, but I've gotten so many discs lately that don't have them that I've just gotten used to not seeing one in the case. IMO, what's worse than having no insert is having a bunch of ad crap masquerading as an insert -- that's just more junk to toss out