Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Okay, I'm new to this, and I'd like some help...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Program: Paintshop Pro 7

I know those of you who are seasoned when it comes to making DVD covers hate my kind, the ones who pop in to ask seemingly basic questions. I was wondering, though, if somebody could just set me on my way with this...to get a bit of a beginner's step-by-step for how to do things. My initial questions:

1. How do I size my blank worksheet to a point where it prints out at the proper size? I had joliom send me the templates for PSP7, but when I copied the image and tried to paste it into PSP, my computer would freeze. First time anything of that sort has happened, so I guess my PC just didn't mesh with the files he sent. I'm mainly looking for the regular amaray template to get started with. Is there any site where I can find a blank image to copy and paste into PSP to use as a canvas of sorts? Or, does anybody know the dimensions to set under the "New Image" option, just to get myself a blank canvas with which I can proceed?

2. Do you have any recommendations for where, on the internet, I can find the little logos and whatnot that give covers that "official" feel to them?

3. Suggestions for how to go about getting screenshots? Again, any websites, or am I mainly going to be forced to stick with capturing screenshots from my computer's DVD player?

4. In regard to printing, any tricks of the trade outside of glossy paper? I've got an HP PSC 500, rather old, but I'll have to make due...so any tips would be appreciated.

5. What font, size, and so forth is best for the various texts on the back?

6. Anything I'm forgetting that you'd find useful information if you were just starting out? Shortcuts, and so forth?

I know this is going to require a pretty lengthy, time-consuming response from anybody that decides to help me out...so thanks in advance.

-JP
Old 04-12-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Program: Paintshop Pro 7

3. Suggestions for how to go about getting screenshots? Again, any websites, or am I mainly going to be forced to stick with capturing screenshots from my computer's DVD player?

I don't use PSP7, so this is the only question I can help you with, I guess. For hi-res pics, try www.movieweb.com Or go to daprogger.mine.nu for other people's hi-res covers (you can use the pics if you don't like their covers ) Me, I like browsing around sites that have the bits and pieces I need to make a cover using Photoshop- textures for backgrounds, brushes, etc. And for a really cool sites for tutorials, try www.pixel2life.com I think I've spent way too much time there.
Capturing screenshots is not a bad choice, as long as you remember that the pic will be small in order to maintain good quality (300pixels per inch). When I capture a shot from WinDVD, it comes to about 1 inch big after resizing. Not bad for small pics on the cover, but not good enough for a big image. If you have entertainment magazines, try flipping through the pages to see if there's a good pic to use. I was at a friend's place recently, and saw a good ad in a mag for Carnivale that I liked. Tore it out after asking his permission, but didn't tell him why I needed it.
Old 04-13-05, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
1. How do I size my blank worksheet to a point where it prints out at the proper size? I had joliom send me the templates for PSP7, but when I copied the image and tried to paste it into PSP, my computer would freeze. First time anything of that sort has happened, so I guess my PC just didn't mesh with the files he sent. I'm mainly looking for the regular amaray template to get started with. Is there any site where I can find a blank image to copy and paste into PSP to use as a canvas of sorts? Or, does anybody know the dimensions to set under the "New Image" option, just to get myself a blank canvas with which I can proceed?
The blank templates I sent you are in jpeg form so they ought to open with any image editing program. If your computer knows PSP 7 is your default program for jpeg's and other similar types of files, then all you have to do is double-click on the template file and it should open right up in PSP 7. Otherwise, just right-click on the file and select "Open With" and then select PSP 7 from the menu. You don't need to copy and paste the template at all. If you want to make your own template by creating a new blank canvas, here are the sizes for each type of case in both inches and pixels:

*At 300 dpi, these are the recommended sizes for each keepcase:
(all keepcases use the same size for the front and back covers -- 7.25 x 5.117" or 2175 x 1535 pixels -- the only thing that changes is the spine width).

INSERT: 4.833 x 7.00” or 1450 x 2100 pixels
STANDARD SINGLE: 10.80 x 7.25" or 3240 x 2175 pixels (spine: 170 pixels)
ALPHA DOUBLE: 11.017 x 7.25" or 3305 x 2175 pixels (spine: 235 pixels)
ALPHA TRIPLE/NEXPAK SLIM 4: 11.28 x 7.25" or 3384 x 2175 pixels (spine 314 pixels)
ALPHA 4/5 DISC: 11.693 x 7.25" or 3508 x 2175 pixels (spine: 438 pixels)
ALPHA 6/7 DISC: 12.203 x 7.25" or 3661 x 2175 pixels (spine: 591 pixels)
THINPAK SINGLE: 10.50 x 7.25" or 3150 x 2175 (spine: 80 pixels)
THINPAK DOUBLE: 10.60 x 7.25" or 3180 x 2175 (spine: 110 pixels)
SLIM 6: 11.233 x 7.25” or 3370 x 2175 (spine: 300 pixels)
SLIM 8: 11.317 x 7.25” or 3395 x 2175 (spine: 325 pixels)
SLIM 10: 11.533 x 7.25” or 3460 x 2175 (spine: 390 pixels)

Of course the advantage to the templates is that the spine is already pre-marked for your convenience. Btw, make sure all your images are 300 pixels per inch. If not, then the sizing will be all wrong. Again another convenience to the templates is that you can paste in images (like a 600 dpi scan, for instance) by selecting "Paste > Into Selection" and it will automatically downconvert it to 300 dpi for you.

2. Do you have any recommendations for where, on the internet, I can find the little logos and whatnot that give covers that "official" feel to them?
Shoot me a PM with your email address again and I'll hook you up.

Screen captures are only good for small to medium sized images on a cover, not large ones (like the front cover art). There are some movie poster sites you can try, but mainly you have to use DVD & VHS covers, magazines, poster books (I highly recommend the Bruce Hershenson ones), and cannibalizing from other people's covers. It also never hurts to throw up a request thread to see if anyone can help you out with some hires images.

4. In regard to printing, any tricks of the trade outside of glossy paper? I've got an HP PSC 500, rather old, but I'll have to make due...so any tips would be appreciated.
Make sure to set the printer to its highest allowable quality setting and select the appropriate paper type. For photo paper and other specialty papers, it's usually best to stick with the same brand as your printer. If your printer supports borderless printing, select it. Otherwise, tape a 2-3" strip of paper to the end of your printing sheet and select "Legal" instead of Letter. That will trick your printer into thinking you have a longer sheet of paper loaded than you really have, and it won't cut off the print prematurely. For covers larger than a standard single you'll need to pick up some Legal-sized paper (8.5 x 14"). No one makes Legal-sized photo paper, so you'll have to invest in some Ledger-sized (11 x 18") or A4 sized photo paper and cut your own 8.5 x 14" sheets.

5. What font, size, and so forth is best for the various texts on the back?
There's no standard. Best bet is to compare your text to an official cover and eyeball it. Typically the small copyright/disclaimer text is 12-14 pt. Arial or Helvetica. Beyond that, it varies by cover or studio.

6. Anything I'm forgetting that you'd find useful information if you were just starting out? Shortcuts, and so forth?
Guides are a handy feature when you make a cover. Using PSP 7, first make sure the rulers are active by going into the "View" menu and selecting "Rulers." Then place the cursor onto the left side ruler or the top one, hold down the left-click button on your mouse and drag the cursor back onto the canvas. This will produce a guide line for you to measure with vertically or horizontally. To adjust the guide positioning, just place the cursor onto the guide tab on the ruler and move it wherever you want. Guide lines won't show up when you print, but if you want to delete one, just right-click on the tab, check the "Delete guide" check box and click "OK."

If you need any further PSP 7 assistance, feel free to drop me an email or PM. I'm pretty familiar with the program and would be happy to help you out.

Last edited by joliom; 04-13-05 at 04:59 AM.