Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

How many different types of cases are there (Region 1 only)?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-05, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the cases i'm familiar with are (don't know exact name) the:

keep case(sp.?)-life of brian, ed wood, a crap load

slim double keep case-terminator 3, goodfellas, a crap load

"fatty"-do the right thing cc, back to the future collect, forrest gump, many others

slide out case-warner bros. 2-disk citi kane, casablanca, d. zhivago, mainly warner bros.

digi pack- the thing, army of darkness boomstick, many other

tins/special-way too many

fold out- many collections, alien quad

is there anything i was missing that doesn't go into special edition cases?

snapper- old warner bros. releases, mystic river 1 disk.

Last edited by BenitoJuarez; 02-22-05 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-22-05, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You've got a few things mixed up. Amaray is a brand, not a type of case. There are a lot of different brands that make single keepcases: Amaray, Alpha and Scanavo are just a few. Then there are different models within each brand. Amaray, for instance, started out with a keepcase design that had no finger slot on the side of the case and more rounded contours in the circular area where the disc sits. Then they moved to the more popular model that is used now, which I believe is called the Safecase. They also have one called the Amaray II, as well as a locking version of both. The two most popular brands of single keepcases I see in use today by the studios besides the Amaray Safecase, nobody seems to know the name of (they are apparently made by or for the studios exclusively). The same goes for the slim-double keepcases (i.e. Terminator 3, GoodFellas, etc.). The case that Forrest Gump and Do the Right Thing: Criterion Collection come in is the Alpha double (Scanavo also makes a full-double case with the same dimensions, but it uses a stacking type of hub rather than a hinged page like the Alpha). The Back to the Future Trilogy comes in an Alpha triple (i.e. a full-triple keepcase made by Alpha). The "fold-out" and "slide-out" cases you mention are all digipaks; some have slipcovers or accordion designs (or like some recent boxsets like The O.C. and the '80s version of Twilight Zone, have pages that flip like a book), but they're all digipaks. Some other case types you're missing are thinpaks, super jewel boxes, plus all the other various sizes of keepcases (of which there are many).
Old 02-22-05, 05:55 AM

didn't know that thanks ...