Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Just starting to print......need help BIG TIME!!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-05, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello friends,

I just had my friend hook-up my EPSON R200 inkjet printer for me. We used PHOTOSHOP to print out some test covers on EPSON A4 GLOSSY PAPER.

Back when DVDCA was up and running, I had used their print-out service. They guy (Ryan) used a HP CP1700 inkjet printer to print them out and used the same paper I'm using now. However, the EPSON printer I have offers more DPI (5760 X 1440) than his HP (2400 X 1200). So u figure that my printer will print out covers just as good if not better than the HP, right?

The first cover we printed was for "16 Candles" (High School Reunion version). And compared to the one that RYAN printed out for me, it didn't come out nearly as good. Colors and skin tones ect.. were much darker. We adjusted the brightness/contrast a few times through PHOTOSHOP, but it didn't make too much of a difference. My friend took a class in PHOTOSHOP and he still couldn't figure it out.

We tried using coverxp pro, but we couldn't find the DVDCOVER template to do a test print.

So is my printer not as good as the HP? The HP CP1700 goes for $500., but it has all these xtra features which I don't need. And like I said, my printer offers more dpi. So what could I be doing wrong?

Also, which is an easier program to use to print out covers, COVERXP or PHOTOSHOP? Like I said, with COVERXP, we couldn't find the dvd cover template to do test prints. Also, with COVERXP, do u know how to create borders around covers that have white edges (to guide u for trimming). We tried doing it with PHOTOSHOP, but we couldn't get it quite right.

I need someone to help me go through this process one step at a time. I'll admit, I'm a slow learner. So if u have plenty patience, any help would be much appprecited.

your pal,
Kenny C.
Old 02-22-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only help I can give here is creating borders around Photoshopped images for trimming:

1. Make sure your picture is loaded, go to the "View" menu and click on "Rulers" if it isn't already checked.
2. RIGHT-CLICK on one of the rulers along the top or left side of your picture and click on "Pixels"
3. Make sure your background color is something black or dark
4. Click "Image", then "Canvas Size" and add 10 points to the measurements you see and click OK

This should give you a black border 10 pixels thick around your original artwork. When you trim, trim just inside the black border.
Old 02-23-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When you add borders to a cover being printed on standard 8.5 x 11" paper like that, the side that comes closest to the edge of the paper (whether you use the borderless printing option on your printer or use the taped-on strip of paper trick) will lose several pixels worth of image inside the border to compensate. The only way to get around that is to change the top border as well (i.e. move the cover up a few millimeters on the page). This is because the printer can't print to the absolute edge using borderless, it still needs a couple millimeters of clearance, so when you add a 10 pixel border, it will cut-off a little bit of the cover image from the bottom edge to give you that extra space for the border. If you have to add a border, try either using a 2-3 pixel one, or else see if you can't shrink the top border to compensate.