DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Manufacturing mistake maybe?

Old 02-12-05, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manufacturing mistake maybe?

I have a copy of Cold Mountain on DVD, and when I went to watch it this morning, the main menu for the 1970 movie "Tora! Tora! Tora!" came up on the screen! I looked all over the cover, the booklet, and the front of both discs, and checked the special features disc, and there is nothing referring to this movie. So I played the movie and sure enough it is a 35-year-old movie about the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour. I thought this was kind of odd, both of them being war movies and all. Anyways, I thought I should let someone know who maybe knows a little more about dvd's. If anyone has any info, let me know. Thanks

Ryan
Old 02-12-05, 08:36 AM
Cool New Member

I used to have a CD like that. Skinny Puppy was the Label, but it was Gordon Lightfoot!

Not sure how such mistakes are made on one offs, but perhaps a collector might be interested. Great to keep just for curiousities sake.

pry
Old 02-12-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think maybe somebody's trying to tell you something...
Old 02-15-05, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've also got a cd like that. It's labeled as being Elton John's greatest hits, but it's an old Eric Clapton album. I got it for Christmas, and the store offered to exchange it, but I decided to keep it just as an oddity (and there are a bunch of classic Clapton tracks there too).
Old 02-15-05, 01:48 PM

I've heard of this happening a few times, but never ran across it myself. This is a manufacturing error, I guess that at the end or beginning of pressing a disc someone or some machine must move the last batch off, so in that process the last/first disc would be mislabeled. I'm not sure if they're really worth anything as its not a massive error requiring a recall, but as a collector of weird stuff it sure is something I would keep.

The oddest thing I ever ran into was getting 3 of the same cd in one case. I also got 2 inserts once.