Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Custom dvd cover spines

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 05:04 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aukevin
Check Mikko's website, you can download one there. I've been using his template for a while now and have lots of spines myself. Thanks so much Mikko, this was a great idea
Can't find it anywhere and the first post link is dead as well.
Old 06-20-06, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mikko Rasinkangas
Anyone interested in new miscellaneous spines I've done?
Oh yes, please.
Old 09-16-06, 04:21 PM

Hi Mikko

Firstly great to see someone from Oulu here, I visit on business most years (I'm in the paper trade)

Thanks for all these spines you have provided, they are excellent,and i am slowly converting my collection.

I have tried producing my own, but my skills on photoshop mean the end results are poor, and I struggle getting the original logos complete.

Have you produced any more new sets since your last post here?

Cheers
Rich
Old 09-18-06, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
are there instructions on how to go about actually using these?
In addition to this I would really like to know what kind of a printer is required for these. Does a mid-pricerange InkJet produce ok results or would these require a high end InkJet or Laser printer ?

Thanks for the Idea though, I'm definitely doing this for my Collection.
Old 09-18-06, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Maxx2029
In addition to this I would really like to know what kind of a printer is required for these. Does a mid-pricerange InkJet produce ok results or would these require a high end InkJet or Laser printer ?

Thanks for the Idea though, I'm definitely doing this for my Collection.
I'm using a laser printer. I don't know what kind of results inkjets produce.

As for how to use these... You can print all of the spines or just the ones you actually have the dvd and for that you have to do some cut and pasting. There are small marks at the top and bottom of the spines which are the cut marks. Select the area inside the cut marks and paste them to a single image.

As for printing. A4 size paper and landscape setting (some of the images have more spines that can fit so again, you may have to do some cutting and pasting).

Printing resolution is 100 px/cm.

Then use a carpet knife (or whatever you call it) and a ruler to cut out the spines. Use the top and bottom cut marks as cutting points.

Cutting example:
| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |

The spines are a bit higher than needed so I personally cut out about 1mm of the spine image from the top and the bottom. The extra height is there so that you don't have to cut exactly where the image ends. Hopefully that made sense.

Rough example:
| | | | | | | | | |
----------------- Cut here (0-1mm from top)
| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |
----------------- Cut here (0-1mm from bottom)
| | | | | | | | | |

Then open a dvd case and slide the spine into the plastic sleeve, over the original cover. And that's it. The spine will keep it's position. No need for glue or tape.
Old 09-18-06, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the tips.

Here's my stab at Woody Allen spines: (still little work needed I guess)

I've order a printer and will start working spines, maybe I'll post them here as I get them done.
Old 07-28-07, 01:56 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Mikko,

Is there anyway you can make a spine template in Photoshop allowing me to print say 15 to 20 spines on one sheet? I have a bunch of films that I would like to make labels for, mainly my daughters movies, and need something simple i.e. just the title running down the side and at the bottom, a letter i.e. A, so these can be kept in somewhat of alpahabetical order on her dvd shelf. I tried doing this in Photoshop but my skills are weak. I'm sure others on here might use the spine template as well.

Thanks
Old 07-29-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Mikko, very cool thread.

Did you happen to do seasons 8-10 of Stargate SG-1 too? And maybe SG-Atlantis? It'd be cool to make them uniform on my shelf with the original film.
Old 07-29-07, 11:45 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

This is something like I am talking about. It could be a Photoshop template that would allow you to go through and change the text on each template rather than having to cut and paste over and over again. Do you think something like this could be done?
Old 07-29-07, 12:39 PM

dek,

You can download the template here: http://www40.brinkster.com/mikkoras/...NETEMPLATE.zip

Each single spine in the template is represented in a layer set. The set number corresponds to the number in each spine. Replace the number text with whatever letter you want.

You don't even have to open the spine set and select a specific layer to be able to write the number or the title. Just select the writing tool and click on the number/title you want to modify and the program will select the specific layer from inside the layer set that layer is in.

I've left all the basic layers (name at the top, year at the bottom) that I've used intact. Remove/move/modify whatever you like.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-29-07, 01:01 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Sweet! Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!
Old 08-07-07, 05:45 PM

Hi! I just ran across this thread today and absolutley LOVE these spines! I'm wondering if you're still making them? Because I'm going to use your awesome spines for my collection, and I'd make the rest of my collection on my own, but I don't have Photoshop. And while you've got quite a few movies that I already have, you don't have near close to my collection! LOL. I am very much looking forward to new spines!
Old 08-07-07, 06:34 PM

OK, I take that back. You actually covered more of my collection than I thought, leaving only about 40 movies or so out. Even though I don't have Photoshop, I'm going to try tonight to make my own spines with the programs I have (which I've learned to manipulate quite well).
Old 08-08-07, 12:24 PM

Really? Awesome! Oh...and just so you know, the Martin Brest link on the first page doesn't work. I was trying to get the "Beverly Hills Cop" spine, and, well...like I said, it didn't work. Anyways, here's the list:
Clue, Red Eye, Notes on a Scandal, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, The Butterfly Effect, The Matrix, The Shining, The Grudge 2 [US Version], Freedomland, The Glass House, Psycho [1960 & 1998], The Life of David Gale, The Sixth Sense, Derailed, Pulse [US Version], The Stepford Wives [2004], Mean Girls, Grease, Dreamgirls, Bewitched, Lords of Dogtown, The Break-Up, Little Miss Sunshine, Holes, The Notebook, Saved!, The Phantom of the Opera [2004], Vegas Vacation, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and, finally, Candy.

Yah, it's a lot. I know. But I must say...the spines are amazing and look awesome. Thanks a million!