DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Sliders S1 and 2 covers?

Old 08-03-04, 10:21 PM
AOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sliders S1 and 2 covers?

Did a search but found nothing. If there is one I appologize in advance. Anyone got any covers for the new sliders set that just came out (S1 and 2). Gotta take them out of that foam insert. Thanks.
Old 08-05-04, 11:35 AM

Sliders Replacement Case

The minute I saw the package for the "Sliders" Box Set - I knew I had to get the discs out of that foam insert. While the "floating discs" design may look cool - it's purely cosmetic not functional for long term storage. In fact, Universal gets my vote for "cheapest" packaging of a box set to date. If they or any other company go with this "half slipcase/bare discs/foam and plastic" again - I will avoid purchasing the set. Snappers would be preferable - and I "hate" Snappers! That foam will break down and cling to the discs like dust - possibly causing damage to a dvd player - as well as causing damage to the discs as they become loose.

I prefer to maintain the original packaging for my DVDs- rather than recase. So, my immediate thought was to get six thinline cases for the original slipcase. However, as someone recently posted- these are a bit too large for the slipcase and six would not fit tightly in the slipcase.

Found an alternative that looks and works great: Super Jewel Cases without inserts. Six fit the slipcase perfectly and while the discs are not staggered- they have the same transparent look and each disc is individually protected.

In fact, they fit so well I wonder if this is what Universal may have planned originally and changed to put a few more bucks in their pockets. They certainly didn't pass it on to the consumer in this "overpriced in comparison to most recent TV Series" Boxsets.
Don't get me wrong - I'm happy to have my "guilty pleasure" Sliders set at all. But when the package is so shody that someone on the fence on this purchase may pass - that helps no one.
Old 08-11-04, 10:22 AM

Re: Sliders Replacement Case

Originally posted by harryhelms

Found an alternative that looks and works great: Super Jewel Cases without inserts. Six fit the slipcase perfectly and while the discs are not staggered- they have the same transparent look and each disc is individually protected.
Actually, the Super Jewel Cases I have are the exact same height as the Box, and are thus slightly too tall. Is there any height variations in Super Jewel cases from different manufacturers? Whose Super Jewel cases are you using?
Old 09-02-04, 10:05 AM

Sliders Replacement Case

Believe the size of the Super Jewel Cases are standard. I had some empty ones in storage after converting some old budget movies to Slimlines to free up space. I did use Super Jewel Cases with the four rounded corners (rather than the square corners) if that helps.

I think the difference is in the Sliders Slipcase itself. In comparing some at Best Buy the slipcase is essentially the same but can very up or down as much as 1/8 to 1/4 inch depending on the box assembly. In fact, some were lopsided with the front opening narrower than the box back. With the free form plastic insert in manufacturing they did not have to worry about the slipcases being uniform.

If planning to convert - stand a few Sliders side by side at the store before purchasing and purchase a box thats square and stands the highest when all are on a flat surface.