DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Keep Cases & Snappers

Old 07-29-04, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep Cases & Snappers

Forgive me if this has been posted before, I did a search but could not find anything about it. Which studios still produce the snap cases and why do they do it? I own about 7-8 snappers, but dislike them compared to keep cases. For me it's similar to showcasing paperbacks along with a nice collection of hard back books. Or maybe I'm just looking too far into this

My other question, what percentage of keep/snap/special (LotR EE) cases make up your collection? For me it would be approximately 90/5/5.
Old 07-29-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pretty much everyone here in this forum hate snappers with a passion. In fact, they're probably the primary impetus for custom cover making in the first place. Most people can't stand them and want to replace them, and that leads them to places like this forum to find replacement covers and learn how to convert their own. Later on, they graduate to replacing ugly or non-uniform regular covers too. But I'll bet everyone here started out originally wanting to eliminate snappers (and to a lesser degree digipaks). Warner (and their subsidiaries like New Line) are the only studios still using them. Warner had interest in the company that makes snappers so that made them reluctant to discontinue them. In late 2002 New Line announced that they would be phasing out snappers altogether and all their new releases would be in keepcases or digipaks from then on (Blade 2 was their inaugural keepcase release). Warner started sporadically issuing a few of their DVD's in keepcases late last year (I believe Matrix Reloaded & Terminator 3 were the first) and have just now (finally) announced that they too will now be phasing them out completely. It will probably be awhile before you see all their old DVD's reissued in keepcases though, with the exception of those like North By Northwest that are part of a new-to-the-market DVD box set. Good riddance.
Old 07-29-04, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the reply, joliom, that clears things up nicely